1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

[TOOL] VIDE - Valve Integrated Development Environment

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by The Political Gamer, Aug 17, 2010.

1. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    http://www.riintouge.com/VIDE/

This thing is freaking amazing.

And a video showing how everything works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkOEo0FzfV0

• Thanks Thanks x 10
  2. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I doubt I'll use much on there, but the PAKrat/PackBSP replacement is a definate use, it actualy seems to find all the custom materials but also seemed to want to add a couple of model skins I haven't used :confused:

3. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    Yes please... Entity stuff looks useful, especially for fine tuning stuff like lighting, fog, fade distances etc. Particle editor could do with being a full blown affair with a render of the particles as well. I've used pakrat and packBSP so let's see how this compares...

4. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    @mick: This doesn't make lighting easier. Fog can already be tuned ingame then set how you like in Hammer. Fade distances can be done easier in Hammer because you have the "set to camera" button (plus an -onlyents compile).

Overall this seems like a nice tool, but most of it is either redundant or lacking. In particular I don't see the usefulness in the particle/vbsp editors if you can't see the stuff.

Mass VMT editor looks like the most useful thing to me, even if I wouldn't be using it very often (still more than the rest though).

Oh and not remembering the last used directory = horrible for workflow efficiency. :(

5. Mr.Late

Mr.Late L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wee I pasted info about this to chat :))

6. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    If someone sees something they like that I should steal (er, re-implement) for PackBsp let me know and I'll add it to the todo list :p

Wat.

I'm a little annoyed that the guy who seems to have made that video (based on the startup logo) redistributes a ton of other people's projects (including PackBsp and VIDE) without providing any links to the author's home-pages. :(

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010