CP toaster

The Wiggin

L2: Junior Member
Aug 9, 2011
cp_ghoaster

Very early a1, just layout testing and the like. Haven't had much time to map of late due to uni, thought id chuck this up in its current somewhat nightmarish state just to see what people thought (of the layout).

And yes I know there are no spawn doors :) (had issues)
Apologies for lighting and optimization (what does that even mean)

I personally feel the mid in particular is far toooo big, or even the whole map in general.

Hints and tips are appreciated as always, as I do plan on getting back into mapping one day.

Sep 7, 2012
+1 for omphud.
-1 for fullbright.
-1 for using propspam to make a layout.
-1 for control point on top of crates.

Not a terrible attempt for a novice mapper, but I would suggest drawing a layout on paper and running it by some friends before starting to map it, at least at this stage of your mapping career.

The Wiggin

Aug 9, 2011
-omp is the best,

-as I said, apologies for fullbright, im really just looking for layout advice as thats what im interested in.

-wouldn't quite say I used propspam, me and some mates talked about it and came up with some of these idea's. That being said I do understand where you are coming from.

-please explain why that is a -1, as you have clearly stated I am a novice and want to learn why placing a cap on crates is wrong, not just be graded poorly because of it.

+1 for feedback, its appreciated and noted
-1 for not explaining reasoning ;).

Acadium

Playtest Extraordinaire
Apr 20, 2013
Overhead View?

Might make it easier to understand the map if you give us a view from way up high.

Bloodhound

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 3, 2011
-as I said, apologies for fullbright, im really just looking for layout advice as thats what im interested in.

Putting an environment light and a few light entities in isn't that hard, but makes the screenshots actually "lookable", without people have to guess where one brush ends end the other one starts.

You'll barely get any good feedback for a fullbrighted map.

-wouldn't quite say I used propspam, me and some mates talked about it and came up with some of these idea's. That being said I do understand where you are coming from.

Building a middle just with props is kind of spamy, as well as sticking half of a crate into the floor. :O

-please explain why that is a -1, as you have clearly stated I am a novice and want to learn why placing a cap on crates is wrong, not just be graded poorly because of it.

Because it looks awkward as hell. Basically.
Besides from that. Look at your middle point, and look at populars, like Badlands, Granary, Foundrys.
Your point is only reachable with tons of skill jumps (for normal classes).
Thats really not how to build a point. Just imagine a mid fight, and you'll see.

The Wiggin said:
I personally feel the mid in particular is far toooo big, or even the whole map in general.

Look at valve maps, and at the size of the areas.

Edit:
Also, look at those:
Screenshots: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4223
Environment Lighting: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4872
Decompiled Valve Maps for Resource: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=5952
For your first map: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=21024 http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=18699

Good luck!

Last edited:

The Wiggin

Aug 9, 2011
Cheers bud, the explanations are appreciated. Some of them were very useful when I made my first map (which I put alot more time into), and still are now. But I dont think I explained myself particularly well, I am mainly interested in layout, rather than the look and such.

Sep 7, 2012
+1 for feedback, its appreciated and noted
-1 for not explaining reasoning ;).

D:

Sorry, I was on my phone and it doesn't do long replies but I wanted to make sure your map didn't get bypassed. Thanks to Bloodhound for explaining it.

I'm not a huge fan of props-on-props to begin with, and the control point model looks kind of tacky on top of those crates. I understand that this is really only a layout test, but one of the great things about Source and other similar game engines is that you can use brushwork to build your structures, instead of necessitating model building to make your level. Use brushwork intelligently, and your level will look nicer and hopefully play nicer too.

Although I don't like some of Valve's decisions in weapons they've added to the game, the Baby Face's Blaster is a great tool to use when testing maps. After you've built up maximum speed, you can run all over the map and have a ton of fun exploring what you've built. But it also keys you in to reality if you suddenly realize that a major gameplay area is inaccessible to you unless you jump, forfeiting your movement. Something like a control point is even more crucial.

Toxindude

L3: Member
Aug 2, 2012
Might make it easier to understand the map if you give us a view from way up high.

I agree top down and some shots from outside the map would give us a better idea. Its hard to distinguish corners and turns between some of the grey walls.

I also agree with the prop spam in the middle you will find that if you take the time to draw your own stuff into the map instead of using ent's it will save you tons on ent data used.

I look forward to seeing updates on this map :) Welcome to the life of a mapper.