To Roof, or Not to roof

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Scoobingsthe2nd, Nov 27, 2007.

?

Bridge Roof?

Poll closed Nov 29, 2007.
  1. No roof!

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. Yes roof!

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Scoobingsthe2nd

Scoobingsthe2nd L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, so I've gotten numerous comments that the roof in my bridge doesn't make sense. The idea is that it shelters from falling rocks.

Now, do you think I should have no bridge roof or bridge roof. If I had the bridge roof I'd probably put a falling rocks sign somewhere. Here's what the 2 look like

No roof:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roof
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Buster Charlie

Buster Charlie Guest

Positive Ratings:
    Well the roof as suppose to protect you in 2 fort from snipers. If you really want some kind of rood, maybe build a custom one out of brushes. I think it's kinda silly, I doubt a wood covered bridge is gonna portect you from rocks anyway. But it's your map. I love crossover BTW.

3. meatpopsicle

meatpopsicle L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    essentially as give it doesn't make sense. its the wrong style of roof suited to outdoor use with a slanted rooftop that is meant to guide rain & snow to slide off of it.

what I would suggest is putting beams on the actual cavern roof. BIG stylish ones in the TF2 style. sort of like in mining when they reinforce the roof of tunnels to prevent cave ins.

that would give support without the slightly off appearance of an outdoor bridge cover being used indoors

meat

4. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    same critique basically, doesnt really look like its neccesary to have a roof indoors

5. Intraman

Intraman L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    No need for the roof.
    Also, I think the ceiling needs to look.. better. Perhaps you could add some type of bar or support that the lights could hang off of, and make it ceiling arched or more displaced to get it a more "natural" look.

6. Scoobingsthe2nd

Scoobingsthe2nd L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    yeah I'm gonna come back through and add more detail to that section in my beta version 2.

7. jakeparlay

jakeparlay L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    i would also take the ceiling texture and increase the scale dramatically.. perhaps even double or triple what it is now (.25 x .25 --> .60 x .60, for example) The TF2 tex's are large enough that you can scale up to avoid tiling without fear of grain

8. Half-Life_Maniac

Half-Life_Maniac L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's started...

As for your map, I agree with what everyone else is saying. Get rid of the room, roughen up the rock ceiling a lot more and add big ol' support beams to hold it all up.