To map, or not to map.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by absurdistof, Aug 16, 2010.

1. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    No, I'm not considering stopping mapping, but yes I'm considering stopping for tf2. I know that finishing thunderclap is going to be some work, and in combination with college hunting [/application] (I'm going to be a senior) and school I'm going to be very busy.

I've also just drafted an idea for an entirely downhill 4cp/ctf A/D map that I'd like to call atk_alarei. The problem I'm facing is that I don't know whether I should go through with this map. Unfortunately I think this will be the last year I'll be able to be able to do recreational mapping, and moreso to be part of this community.

I have some other plans for other source games, and even plans for games outside of source, and my question is whether I should finish thunderclap, and finish mapping for tf2 and move on to other games and engines, or whether I should try and cram alarei into the mix.

I know it would be possible, but it would also be pretty difficult, not to mention I have a bad habit of starting two maps, and then ditching the former (in this case thunderclap) for the latter, which would be alarei.

I'd really love to do both, but I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

2. froggie

froggie L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It is always a (bad) habit for creative people to start more tasks than they can finish. Believe me i know what i am talking about. Mapping is not much different than painting pictures. You can start as many as you want but they will just cover with dust if you don't bring it to a satisfying end for yourself. This is the main goal i think, keep your focus, you might be dead tomorrow and it is better to finish what you started then to leave with some raw ideas.
    cheers,
    frogster.

3. Zarokima

Zarokima L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    I agree with froggie that you should try to stick to as few projects at a time as you can. It does sound like an interesting idea, but since you already have another map that you've clearly put a lot of work into, I think you should stick with finishing it first. Of course, as the artist it is up to you what to do with your work, and if you feel that Alarei would be better than Thunderclap, you can just move on to that. I would suggest not trying to work on both at the same time, though, as that could easily cause a blending of ideas that makes them feel too similar.

4. Jayden

Jayden L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Marilyn Manson, a favorite artist of mine, has denied me the book Holy Wood, the Movie Phantasmorgia, and a few other projects he abandoned. That's righteously pissed me off as a fan (among other things)

I advise against the bad practice of biting off more than you can chew, as the post by froggie is 100% on track. That said, if the latter of the two is going to blow our minds, then perhaps it's worthwhile to do that one first. I wouldn't mind Manson's failings so much if one of the two recent albums he put out were on the level of Antichrist Superstar.

5. Godslayer57

Godslayer57 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You should finish your current project and try and quit while your ahead with the shakespeare references.

6. Dragonstorm24

Dragonstorm24 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm in the same boat as you and you can only hope for best (idea: Show the Inner workings of mapping as a senior project?)

7. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    Senior project of high school? Where you from son?

Thanks for the feedback though, I think I'll just stick with thunderclap, maybe refine alarei and give it off to someone who I trust :p

8. Ninjilla

Ninjilla L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I dont know what classes youre in, but my friend who had all Advanced Placement classes still had good amounts of free time, I dont see why you would need to stop mapping. But by the same token, map little by little as you see what the school year will be like and go based on that.

9. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    Well, my school year will be taking up more of my time, and I've decided for myself I'm working on Propane and Propane alone until rc. Everything else goes into my idea pad. Which is my notepad with doodles, concepts and what have you. That way if when I'm done Propane I can always go back and start/finish something else.

10. temion

temion L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I went through this same dilemma when i started college. Now in my senior year of a master's program I can honestly tell you that no matter what, you will always find time for fun hobbies like mapping for tf2. Why? Because you want to, and that's pretty much the end of it. Don't over-think it. ;)