[TIP] Things To Avoid When Designing Your First TF2 Map

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
New mappers, listen up. Your first half dozen projects are going to be uglier than Rexy's butt. Even if you follow the above rules, no-one in their right mind will willingly play your first project. Do whatever the hell you want and have fun with it. Likely you'll make a lot of mistakes, but your next project will be better.

SCHWA OUT

There have been instances where people have made some pretty excellent first maps, so this is hardly a rule, but for the most part what's being said here is true.

Just keep that in mind.

Theobromin

L1: Registered
Apr 6, 2012
btw, currently making my first map, and I noticed in some decompiled map that there's 'player clips' around corners or round surfaces. Is that really necessary?

Mar 20, 2012
okay, in that case, better safe than sorry I guess...

Well, look at it this way.

ETF2L hosts a league match on your map. Both teams get to middle and, as BLU's medic is turning to get away from sticky bombs from the RED demoman, he gets stuck on a small protruding wall support and gets blown up.

Stuff like that doesn't give a favorable impression of your mapping skill. You want to make sure that your map in no way impedes the gameplay of the players - only enforces/guides it.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
If only the method Source uses to make players automatically walk up short steps applied to horizontal protrusions as well.

WhyNott

L1: Registered
Oct 21, 2012
I don't know why everyone love this tutorial so much. I generaly agree with most of the statements, however I don't realy like the tone of the article.

Burnout6010

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 14, 2012
I don't know why everyone love this tutorial so much. I generaly agree with most of the statements, however I don't realy like the tone of the article.

It's just to make you understand. It isn't saying "gtfo off noobs diz iz our site pls donate :rolleyes:"

:O

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013

It's written from repeated frustration. That's why it sounds exasperated and also why I don't have it in my signature and it isn't linked anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009

Say that again after 5 years of seeing and playing terrible maps that keep violating these basic rules.