[TIP] Things I Wish I'd been Told When Making my First Map

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Shanghai, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is going to be a list of basic mapping/Hammer guidelines that I think everyone should know about. Hopefully it'll be a good resource for new mappers. If anybody else has tips or corrections, let me know.

• Thanks Thanks x 7
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2013
  2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    I have never had any issues with copy pasting spawn points.

3. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nor did I.

4. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    guidelines, not rules

5. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    I don't agree with this. Sure you should have a few key places in mind. But some of the best level designs in my experience had those, then almost naturally evolved as the designer considered what parts need to be added to the existing ones to be fun/interesting

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I'm with Trotim, that's definitely a personal style thing. I find getting scale and form right hard in 2D, then the additional translation from 2D into 3D distorts things further.

Since it's so fast to block out rough shapes in hammer if you use a 32 or 64 grid scale, 3D sketching is a really useful method for getting your initial thoughts down.

But of course, not everyone can or likes working this way.

Regarding walls:
    Wood : 8-16
    Metal : 4-16 (depending on how you can view it)
    Brick : 16 (unless they're super chunky bricks)
    Concrete : 16+ (ideally 32+)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Shanghai

Positive Ratings:
    Edited it a bit, removed the thing about spawnpoints and reworded the "have a sketch" section to reflect Trotim and YM's points. Also changed the word "rules" to "guidelines" because that's a way better word.

8. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I see no reason why corners should be miltered. It just makes it more painful to resize things - which should be happening a lot in alphas.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    It's just usefull when vvis cut your map, it draw one 'visleaf' instead two.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    It's good for making buildings whose outer corners are inside the playable area and visible, so you have two faces that go all the way to the corner instead of three. For stuff on the "outside" of the map like floors and skyboxes it's fine to just have the corners touch.

11. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Mitered corners is irrelevant.

Drawing extra faces isn't something to worry about because face merging is performed, and there are lots of unavoidable face splits as well.

Portals will split leaves in ways you don't want them to, regardless. You can only guide portal creation so far with the right technique and tools but you will never fully command them. Having an un-mitered corner may result in a portal appearing at the face "joint", but I have also experienced the portal appearing sticking off from the "solid" face as a result of the inside face of the adjoining wall. On top of that, mitered corners can also, in some situations, cause a 45 degree portal along the miter plane.

And as was mentioned, resizing angle cut brushes can be more tedious (even for someone like me who heavily uses VM for brush adjustments).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    But it's so neat and... OCD!

(seriously, I love me some mitered corners)

13. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    It's only neat if that's the way you view it :p I'm more of the opinion that keeping things square is neat.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Fish 2.0

Fish 2.0 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I tried to make a map using the whole corner thing - it ended up taking more time and was a burden whenever I wanted to rescale anything.

All in all not pleasant experience and lining up textures is easy enough, select all and set offset to 0.

15. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I really don't do it that often anymore. It looks nice on your end but really isn't worth the effort.

16. Burnout6010

Burnout6010 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Things I wish I was told when making my first map ?

Func_Detail.

17. Shanghai

Positive Ratings:
    It's in there, under the "optimize-as-you-go" section.

18. Burnout6010

Burnout6010 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Except I didn't know about TF2Maps at the time :p

19. WASD

WASD L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Your posts seems very interesting but unfortunately it looks like a part is missing.... What I can read is :

20. Shanghai

Positive Ratings:
    EDIT: Oh... I see what you mean. Something like 70% of the post has been deleted, probably by my mistake. There used to be a rather nice list there, I'm not sure what happened to it. Sorry!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, perhaps you could clarify? The first point that you quoted means that you should get your idea down on paper first and get a general sense of the shapes of the areas before you get into Hammer, and the second one says that you shouldn't go straight into building a fully-detailed map in Hammer, but instead block out the layout first.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013