[TIP] Posting flickr images in the forum

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VelvetFistIronGlove, Aug 12, 2008.

1. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    I use Flickr to host all the images I use in the forum for a few reasons:

1. No stupid ads everywhere (it has some, but not many).

2. Really easy uploading with the free Flickr Uploader app.

3. Really easy pasting of link + image with the use of a small bookmarklet I cooked up:

HTML:
    javascript:(function(){var%20div%20=%20document.createElement('div');var%20s%20=%20%22<h4>TF2Maps%20forum%20code</h4><textarea%20rows='6'%20cols='80'%20onfocus='this.select();'></textarea>%22;div.innerHTML%20=%20s;var%20about%20=%20document.getElementById('About');var%20parent%20=%20about.parentNode;parent.insertBefore(div,%20about.nextSibling);var%20textarea%20=%20div.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0];var%20code%20=%20%22[b]%22%20+%20page_p.title%20+%20%22[/b]%20%22%20+%20page_p.description%20+%20%22\n%22;code%20+=%20'[URL=%22http://www.flickr.com'%20+%20page_p.url%20+%20'%22]';code%20+=%20'[IMG]'%20+%20geo_thmb.replace('_s.jpg',%20'.jpg')%20+%20'[/IMG][/URL]';textarea.value%20=%20code;})();

Copy all this code, create a new bookmark in your browser, and paste this in as the URL. Then, when you're on the main photo page for a photo in Flickr, click the bookmark to add a text box with the tf2maps.net forum code all ready to copy + paste.

2. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, I dont know if Flickr has changed their policy, but a while back when I was still looking for image hosting solutions Flickr was a nazi about images that were not photographic in origin.

People would report your stuff and it would get removed....

3. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    That may be a problem, yeah. Besides, I've used Photobucket for five years, and I think it works perfectly.

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Mm, and photobucket seems a lot simpler to use. Create an account, upload your stuff, link your stuff.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    No, they've never had that restriction that I know of. Certainly not in the three or four years I've been using it.

Also, when uploading images there's an "image type" dropdown that lets you choose between photo and screenshot for categorising your images, too.

6. doctor killing

doctor killing L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    im ok whatever you use to host your images, aslong as its not imageshack, the images hosted their takes 10 times longer to load, some pictures dont load, and same get stuck at 50% done and yet people still use it

7. ChronoTriggerFan

ChronoTriggerFan L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    If i recall correctly Flickr doesn't like it if you post pictures without a link back, but i don't recall anyone reporting me and removing my pictures...

And god kills a kitten when you use imageshack... I don't care what you say... just think of the kittens!

8. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    - yeah, that's one of their requirements for using their hosted pictures on forums and the like. That's the main reason for this bookmarklet, as it creates the img and the link.