CP tinymountain

Vodhr_

L1: Registered
Dec 23, 2014
Welcome to cp_ti-

What the hell is this?:

:I

This is cp_tinymountain a new TF2 custom map based around a small mountain with bases around it.

The mountain in question is questionably the best part as in you can find your own path around the mostly natural and not-at-all dangerous* moonrock mountain when moving between bases.

Sounds reasonable. How do i win in this perfectly-safe* map to play?: cp_tinymountain works almost like standin but with a few different rules but still capture all the points to win...

HOWEVER

It will take teamwork or pure stupidity to capture all the points before your enemy then defend them as no points ever get locked at any point so always have a guard for that pesky scout, or a look out to call reinforcements.

The map is structured into 3 parts:

The first point is chaos, located at the base of the not-at-all dangerous* mountain, here you can see crazyness and the hardest to hold of the three, you are going to always look at this one if you want to turn the tides of battle.

The second is in a small base a good ways up the not-at-all dangerous* mountain where you will see the second point located in the middle and an upstairs for snipers and jumpers.

The third one is a giant part near the top where enemies could could come from either side, either the easiest to defend if you know what your doing.

It works like strongholds, spread your forces to defend and capture multiple points to eventually capture all 3 points and win.

Eventually we plan to have a countdown like in RD when all points are capped, giving a small amount of time to hold every point.

or

Have it work like KOTH where both teams have to fight for control and the first team that controlls every point for 1 minute total wins.

Who is all working on this wonderful map?

2 people

- Vodhr_ (The mapper and the original idea and concept of the map)
- Lieutenant Lasor (Idea's man, Supervisor and is the inglorious bastard that wrote this wall of text at 4AM)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Note: The mountain may or may not have brought, but not limited to: Assbugs, Hippies, Random ressurection, Sudden hunger and or space AIDS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Lieutenant Lasor

Last edited:

Vodhr_

Dec 23, 2014
Looks awfully dark. Also the capture zone in screenshot 5 is just two corridors (read: chokepoints easily camped by a couple of sentry guns) leading to the control point, which really isn't a good idea.

Well, the map is very open and so it would be very easy for snipers to camp on the 2nd slanted bridges or on the 2nd control point, so one of my ideas was to make the map a pretty dark night map so as to make it harder for snipers to spot targets. When ive detailed and edited the map more i might change this to a brighter dusk or dawn enviroment and find another way to limit snipers.

As for the 3rd control point that you mentioned being easily controlled, those corridors are larger than they appear in the screenshot; unless you have about 3 or 4 engineers sentry guns arent going to be able to cover the entire fort. Also, you would need 3 or 4 more engineers to cover the entire upper floor as well.

The idea behind the map layout is that the first point is really near the spawns and therefor is very easy to cap and very difficult to defend. There is a decent sentry spot ive carved into the mountain with a medium ammopack to make up for this.

The second point is off the ground and only accessible by the slanted platforms/bridges or rocket jumping, players are vulnerable to snipers and other fire while moving on these bridges, making the 2nd point decently harder to cap and easier to defend than the first.

The third and final point(the one that you mentioned) is up another slanted platform making the players vulnerable yet again, and higher off the ground making it harder for soldiers/demomen to jump to it. The idea behind this point is that it is the most difficult to reach, and in turn cap, and the easiest to defend.

The overall idea of the map is that the Ground Point is just a constant chaotic battle. The Middle Fort and Sky Fort are as one stronghold; you must capture the Middle Fort to effectively get to the Sky Fort.

The Sky Fort is not much meant to be defended by sentries because of its size and multiple entrances, its more meant to be defended by defending the Middle Fort.

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
one of my ideas was to make the map a pretty dark night map so as to make it harder for snipers to spot targets.

It's not a good idea to make dark maps because it becomes hard to distinguish between team colors in combat and at distances. The same goes for colored lights. If you want to make a night map, look at Doublecross. It's set at night, but the combat areas themselves are very well lit.

Vodhr_

Dec 23, 2014
It's not a good idea to make dark maps because it becomes hard to distinguish between team colors in combat and at distances. The same goes for colored lights. If you want to make a night map, look at Doublecross. It's set at night, but the combat areas themselves are very well lit.

The map really isnt as dark as the screenshots might suggest. Seeing team color is very easy, and even in the darkest of spots its not that difficult. Not to mention if someone is on your team it shows you their name, and if they arent it doesnt. But i see what you mean, i might decrease the shadows darkness and add a few more lights in some spots depending on how things go.

If you load up the map instead of just looking at the screenshots i think you would get alot better view of how things really look in-game, the screenshots dont show the things exactly how they are in-game.

Either way here are some screenshots of someone on the opposing team in different spots on the map, specifically the "combat areas":

The Ground Point:
51A8ED01B7C7F0123898AA8D337FE4303AEA250F

The Middle Fort Point:
27211FDF00D070B43D797F7E3BEE960B5B8177CF

The Sky Fort:
390C85FCC71C5D73C6D61D42D9A2E00C22B799CE

The bridges are pretty dark i have to admit, but so much that you cant see class color:
744995D16EB2D613F4C90B365A9A77E3DB4F9A30

Here is one of the dark spots i was talking about:
86D548FA7CF22B3DC8D2DA9096163452C2507CF7

I probably will decrease shadow darkness, not only to help make the map a little less dark but to prevent the walls becoming completely black like in the picture above. I also might add some more lighting on the bridges.

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014

Overall the map is more dim than most maps, but screenshots 4 and 5 are certainly way, way to dark. Maybe screenshot 2 as well, usually areas around control points you want to be even brighter than the rest of the map.