Timers: Something all TF2 mappers need to include.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by shinokorosha, Dec 21, 2007.

1. shinokorosha

shinokorosha L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Normally somebody might just rant about how important it is to include timers in your maps so that the game sessions don't go on and on and on forever and ever. And while it is important to explain WHY timers are needed, I think anyone who has actually PLAYED on a TF2 map by this point realizes that even the best maps out there are lacking a seriously important ingredient: sudden death. I'm sorry but without sudden death the matches can last as long as 4 hours and a four hour stalemate gets really boring. If we are going to make lots and lots of maps and expect them all to get featured we're going to have to have a better method of ROTATING those maps.

THEREFORE. Here, before you all today I present THIS:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/41598

Because unlike most people I don't just rant. I supply you, the mapping community, with a tool which you can use to better your maps. Just paste a timer on in there. The music's cool too, though optional.

Enjoy!

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I will never make a plain ol' CTF map with a timer... and CP maps don't exactly work right without one.

3. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I agree with Boojum. Simply telling the tf_gamerules to go to sudden death when the server's map timer runs out is enough for CTF.

4. Buster Charlie

Buster Charlie Guest

Positive Ratings:
    I guess it depends on if you want people to play your map or switch servers because they hate 4 hour stalemates.

5. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    Except that there won't be 4 hour stalemates, because the map will change when the server's map timer tells it to change.

6. Vilepickle

Vilepickle L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, CTF is fine. lrn2decompile. I didn't know what half the stuff was when I ported Mach entity-wise, but it was like the first CTF map and it has the setstalemateontimelimit :p