Thought of a coolio MvM idea.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by TheLoafLord, Sep 1, 2017.

1. TheLoafLord

TheLoafLord L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So, I've been thinking, that it would be cool, if there was a Payload like MvM gamemode. This gamemode would have you stopping robots from pushing a cart to your base (And making your base explode.). I just came up with this while I was bored. Think it's cool?

2. Kobolite

aa Kobolite The only dutch person here!

Positive Ratings:
    i think that already exists

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    Fully doable and actually Hydrogen and and other Potato guys are writing a plugin that allows robots in every map

4. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
  5. Aldoux

Aldoux L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You could even make some sort of cap points Manhattan style. P neato

6. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure what a payload offers in advantage compared to regular MvM other than a more direct HUD representation of how close the bomb is to the end. The payload as a gameplay objective is basically meant to enforce pacing (keeps offense from pushing ahead too quickly) but MvM already does that with the bomb (which slows the carrier down). It'd play slightly differently and maybe look cooler but I don't know what it really adds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. UltimentM

UltimentM L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Ayy I did one too.

It's completely shit to balance though. MvM was made with the CTF gamemode in mind, and having a cart as the main objective doesn't work well, especially if it doesn't reset unless through loss.

I'm considering doing another MvM map with a payload, but this time its sortof like mannhattan where only gatebots can push the cart which shortens the bot's path.

8. ISPuddy

ISPuddy L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    yes..

9. Fillmore

Fillmore L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    yeah a lot of folks have mentioned it but Payload on MvM has already been done with Canyonpush, Commune and then there's that prefab thing that Puddy linked.

It's a novel idea but execution-wise: When it's bots pushing the bomb, it's essentially MvM where the bomb is replaced by a cart. When RED is pushing the cart, you get Canyonpush and it also has its own share of problems.

The idea probably works a bit better if the map was essentially built around the Payload mechanic: Build the whole map like it's a Payload map but keep the MvM side of it in mind.