This is getting frustrating! Blue snow? The heck?!

temion

L2: Junior Member
Aug 16, 2008
Use the clipping tool, you draw the line where you want to cut and use shift+x to change which part you want to discard (a/b/neither)

Unfortunately chopping my mountain up doesn't help. I still get blue snow in the exact same places. :unsure:

potatocubed

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2009
Something I just discovered while playing around: if you turn fullbright on, the blue snow becomes white. I think this means there's something funky with your lighting settings, but I have no idea what. :confused:

EDIT: Alright, here's what I've found out - if you delete the light_environment entity and replace it with a single light source hovering above the island, your snow's white again. I reckon this means your light_environment is the cause of the problem although once again I don't know how or why.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Could you "isolate" the lighting by putting the whole thing inside (or "behind") brushes textured with blocklight, and then put in a spotlight of your own?

temion

L2: Junior Member
Aug 16, 2008
I'm not sure I understand what you are recommending. Are you saying I should scrap the global lighting and just use spot lights?

If so that wouldn't work since this is suppose to be one of quite a few floating islands in a much larger map. :(

potatocubed

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2009
Check out the attached screenshot. Orange snow. :cool1:

Go into your light_environment entity and check out the 'ambient' setting. Whatever colour you put in there is the colour that the snow will appear in game. As usual, I don't know why, but if you leave the ambient setting white, your snow should be the normal colour.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Sounds like something is preventing the displacement from receiving direct light, so it only gets ambient?

Add a powerful spotlight :p

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
You wont need a powerful spotlight if you use the info_lighting entity. The problem is the area thats dark on your displacement is the side thats in shadow on the base cube or whatever shape your using. so whatever ambient value you shoose will be your shadowed side color. removing the shadows by using the info_lighting should fix this.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
You wont need a powerful spotlight if you use the info_lighting entity. The problem is the area thats dark on your displacement is the side thats in shadow on the base cube

I thought he said it was the top face of a cube... Is it actually all five sides excluding the bottom? :huh:

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
Man there are alot of bad suggestions in this thread..

Source tends to not like large single plane displacements. Remake the displacements with several smaller blocks instead of 1 giant displacement. I suggest brushes 1024x1024 and a power of 2-3 depending on how much detail you want.

Snow works just fine for me.

snow_proto0000.jpg