Things I don't like about the Gun Mettle update:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
One thing I don't like about this event is how hard it is to get a damned case.

Three contracts down (all done AFTER the case issue was fixed), six keys burning a hole in my backpack, and zero cases dropped. Grumble.

You're 3 contracts into a 3 month event. Still 20+ opportunities to get more crates

PLUS they're going to radically drop in price on the market over the next few weeks as more contracts are completed.

I just assumed cases would be rare as hell. I don't know why people bought keys all willy-nilly.
Rarity is what makes things valuable though, so if cases are rare, the items in them are even rarer, soooo you want to be able to get at that phat loot as soon as you can. Keys have that annoying as hell week wait before the things are tradable, so you gotta buy your keys early. (but apparently you can sell things that can't be traded on the market now? that seems dumb considering the week wait is to prevent scamming....)

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
You're 3 contracts into a 3 month event. Still 20+ opportunities to get more crates

20+ opportunities to get cases will be unlikely to result in getting 20 cases, much less the 30-40 I've opened in the past during big events. Some people enjoy unboxing, and want to do it early because later on during the event it's not really worth doing.

Well, at least they're not doing the pre-unlocked crates like Halloween, heh. I hope I never see those again (or at least, never see them again when there's any of my items in them).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Mine was when I turned in that 3rd contract. The quantity on the market suggests they're not timed drops but just from contracts.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I think I'd be less sour about cases if I'd got one from the third contract. From the comments, it seemed like it was guaranteed, but I guess not.

I mean, you know, it's not like I'm bitching about the update overall. I think it's pretty damned amazing update and I had a blast last night doing my contracts. Cases being hard to get and the custom content going missing are the only two real issues I have. Everything else is just awesomely fun.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
Part of me wishes that the spy's box taunt was a prop that was commonly used on maps. I know what the taunt is going for and it's funny but still. Maybe it's just me though.

Cole Slaw

L2: Junior Member
Feb 26, 2015
Heck, it works even without being a standard prop.

I'd imagine we can make it one now though, right? Anyone find it yet?

found it!
tf\models\workshop\player\items\spy\taunt_spy_boxtrot\taunt_spy_boxtrot.mdl

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Rarity is what makes things valuable though, so if cases are rare, the items in them are even rarer, soooo you want to be able to get at that phat loot as soon as you can. Keys have that annoying as hell week wait before the things are tradable, so you gotta buy your keys early. (but apparently you can sell things that can't be traded on the market now? that seems dumb considering the week wait is to prevent scamming....)

How does the wait to be tradeable affect opening a crate when you get it and trading the contents? Or do keys now affect the content's trade status?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
My view on this issue:

Valve has stated that they use TF2 as their guinea pig, their place to test ideas. They are considering removing maps, which is why they made the choice to keep the content in the packfile lump. However! I do not believe that they have made up their mind yet.

I think this decisiveness is also the reason for why there are no permanent map specific items yet: they don't know if the map will remain in game.

This is also why I think that mappers aren't paid in lump sums. The team don't know if they should.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2014
So the TF2 update today included this fix:
" - Fixed a case where textures and models would fail to load on maps with embedded resources"

So I'm guessing Valve isn't planning on properly adding the assets for the 3 community into the game, which of course is somewhat worrisome.

Fr0Z3n I assume still no response from Valve?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Something that occurred to me: We now have community maps in /maps/ that (A) aren't actually official but (B) aren't going to disappear on their own. What happens if the creators of these maps decide to update them? Either now, or after the event is over. The Workshop removed the need to mess around with suffixes, but these maps aren't being served through it, nor were players subscribed to them. Are they stuck never updating these maps again?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I've been wondering that also, especially with Freyja actively fixing issues for a future version of Suijin.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I guess map authors would fix the maps and send them to Valve. From what I have read, community map authors have been responsible for fixing or improving their own maps previously.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Fair enough, but what happens if they want to update the maps after the event is over and they're no longer treated as part of the game but still in /maps/?