CP Theater

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Dustoxx, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Dustoxx

Dustoxx L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    New map with a new theme. It's an old theater that has different kinds of rooms. Same gametype as gravelpit and it has a simple layout.

So this is the sketch that came out after some tries
    [​IMG]

This are the thing I want to put in the map
    [​IMG]

Here are the screens of a1
    [​IMG]
    The stage

[​IMG]
    The rest of the room + BALCONY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The alley

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The hall

More to come after the first tests :)

Oh, yeah. Forgot to ask. Is it THEATRE or THEATER?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Theatre...

The point in the theatre looks pretty open, you might want to find a way to break up sight lines... (fallen scaffolding, dangling chandelers, etc)

3. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    What happen to that oil rig map?
    What is with you always disappearing and taking awesome maps with you, goddamn you Dust!

Least finish this one, please? :3

4. Fredrik

Fredrik L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Really like the looks of this, but it's pretty open.
    Looking forward to see what you'll do to this map.

5. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    Looks pretty massive. You should resize it a bit

6. ♠♣DσshDσsh♣♠

♠♣DσshDσsh♣♠ L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I really like the looks of the map. I'd really also like to see it when it's finished.

7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Theatre for Brits, theater for Amhurricans.

Looks nice, although a bit open and flat. Also, why would the dressing rooms come out into the seating area? That makes no sense ;)

8. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Theater for movies, theatre for stage shows. Everyone knows that.

Just pick one. You'll confuse half the world with whatever you choose anyway.

9. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    no one cares about how you spell a word, people who do have a large metal pole up their ass and they should be ignored

map looks cool but a bit open i will have to play it

10. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    lol, yes you'll have to change name per compile depending on if you're trying to get it up on EU or US gameday.

Seriously though,

I feel the same as everyone else. Could be an interesting concept and cool map if done right.

The open areas do seem a bit large, but you gotta have good fighting space too. Gonna be tough to make it look AND play good. It deffinately seems like a very good idea for a smaller than GPit map. Something that would be great for a 12-16 man server. Maybe not as good for a 24-32.
    (But the comp scene would probably dig a gpit map that wasn't so large). Even the main server I play on lately is 12 player range, and a gpit half size map would be great for those times, it typically reverts to koth or dustbowl.

The things I see as major issues in this map type.

1- seating. Anyway you look at it all those seats are gonna be horrible for gameplay. The only alternative I can think of if to have it a 'closed/run down' theatre. They pulled out the worn out seats a long time ago. Or maybe it's in renovation, in which case you could use stuff like scaffolds from the construction pack as barriers and cover in the middle of the seating area (still, no matter what I think all seats need to be gone)

2-stage area. Just way to big, I think most of the flat area between seats and stage could be gone. squeeze that area together. Make the balcony more like that bottom right pic, rounded (but only one level not 2). Then add those VIP booths to each side (which could lead to stairs down), maybe some planks across so players could go from booth to balcony.
    The stage itself should stick out more though. You could use stuff the the cow prop as stage props, and double for cover.

Maybe even have a 'medieval scene' on stage.

The lobby is same, just too big and open, how will you provide cover? Again renovation and construction props. But I just feels it needs to be more quaint and less huge.
    A sniper could just completely dominate that whole room.

The alley isn't really doing anything for me. I guess that could go in about any direction. But I think it needs to be more than just a small dock, it needs a 'gimmick'. Something that makes it stand out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    It's times like these I wish I had saved the link to all those photos of abandoned theaters. They might have come in handy. I assume this is meant to be an abandoned theater, possibly with some parts that are showing their age?

12. Dustoxx

Dustoxx L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Still got that map in the back of my mind. Going on with this on till i get some new ideas. This one will probably be finished, but it will take a loooong time :p

Yes, and old and abandoned theater with cracks everywhere. I want it to have a old white big movie screen with that projector and old movie rolls in iron tins. ya know what i mean!

So, got a lot of new ideas last days for a2. a1 was just lame and couldn't be fun to play. So here is a2: smaller and better lay-out that makes much more sense.

Download is ready, and here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice the new balcony on the side of the pics.

Got the idea of this simple picture:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    new point A. better view in the upcoming overhead view :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I moved the B point up for more fun. added more cover on the lower floor so it feels smaller.

[​IMG]
    view of the birds...

i will enter this for gameday soon, i just NEEEED some test :p

13. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's lookin better I think. And I can see the sky roof for the lobby, but not for the theater really, depends I guess. You mention movie screens, and you wouldn't want weird lighting day or nigth (moonlight) to interfere with screening.

You could probably make the skylight in the lobby pretty large, and 'domed' up which would even give more jumping space.

14. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Presumably a partially-collapsed roof?

Also, speaking of interfering with screening, the walls would block the projector.

15. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings: