The Unofficial Orange Madness Mini-Mapping Contest!

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
oj_mapping_contest_splash.jpg

So, AMC#4 is over, and you've got downtime waiting for the next big thing? Or maybe you're fed up with all the serious mapping going on and want a break? This is your chance!​

What on earth is this contest?

This a creative, detail-oriented, fun-for-all, orange map extravaganza! If you love showing off your brushwork skills, this is the chance of a lifetime. You'll be able to impress your peers or blow them away with your superior creative intellect!

What are the rules?
  • Detail a 2048 x 2048 unit area in hammer. No height limit.
  • 3D skyboxes ARE ALLOWED (Impress us!)
  • Loose format--no specific gametype or detail area required--detail a control point, a spawn room, whatever you want (just keep it in the size limit).
  • Use ONLY custom non-tf2 textures and developer textures (the so nicknamed "orange" textures). You may make your own developer style textures with the .psds provided, or ones of your own making.
  • NO STOCK TEXTURES (this does not include skybox textures, feel free to make your own skybox textures if you wish).
  • NO MODELS ALLOWED. Any kind of detail you want to add must be built in brushes! (Exceptions include the control point entity, which is tied to the hologram model, and item/health pickups).
  • Maximum of two entries. No collaborations
  • You may not rip any other map (Valve, custom, or even your own) this should be original.
  • Does not need to be functional.
  • Your submission MUST follow this naming convention: oj_<forum name>.bsp (If your forum name is stupidly long, compromise on your name, not the prefix. eg. oj_vfig.bsp for Velvet Fist Iron Glove's entry)
  • Everything must be finished and submitted in the upload thread before Noon, PST on Sunday, July 18th December 2010.

Can I have any tips? I'm not sure I fully understand.

This is an art contest! Show us what you can do with colors, shapes, geometry. You can get as wild and crazy as you want. And it's all just for fun!

Can I see more examples?

Try looking at modern/contemporary artists for clues or inspiration. Such artists as,
Richard Whitten
Al Held
Ulf Puder
Piet Mondrian

In your submission (in the submission thread, Will be posted at a later date):

• A link to your .bsp in one compressed (.zip) achive. Use the tf2maps.net contest area, dropbox or another upload service, but nothing that has a queue to download.
  • Please make sure ALL content is pakrat'd into your BSPs, but remember that you must be the author of all content submitted.
  • You should provide only one screenshot of your map, taken at the best gfx quality your pc can handle, no HUD elements or player models either. For more infomation on how to do this, click here.

Contest prize for first place:
  • A steam store game purchase of $10 (USD) provided by yours truly.
  • Bragging rights!

Download the Unofficial Orange Madness Mini-Mapping Contest Developer Texture Set to use in your map!

Judging will be based %100 on pure public popularity vote.

For questions, ask away.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
I love you pretty hard, Rexy.

Also, the download button doesn't go anywhere.

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
Cool beans, ill be entering this one. Prizes? Also, you made an error on the deadline

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
The download link works now! I had to add it after uploading the zip file. I fixed the deadline, also, prizes are mentioned.

Nov 14, 2009
Ya, I have some custom dev textures on my harddrive from somewhere. Will I be disqualified if I accidentally use these?

Mar 23, 2010
"0:00 PST on Sunday, July 4th December 2010."

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Pssst, thats a model.

pYhLJ.jpg

It's also not an entry, but granted, it's a gameplay object as well and an entity as well.

@Grim and Little, you absolutely may use your own custom developer textures! I provided these for variety. Feel free to make your own, make as much as you want! You can use the Valve developer textures, or even YM's red and blu variety developer textures, or add in goofy lolcat pictures, dogbread, whatever you want, just make it look pretty. The goal is to be the best looking and have the most popular map.

Last edited:

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Sounds fun! I'll be entering.

This is probably a silly question, but are there any specific rules as to using displacements?

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Sounds fun! I'll be entering.

This is probably a silly question, but are there any specific rules as to using displacements?

No rules for displacements! Use displacements as you wish, go nuts!

I would have also included blend versions of the textures for displacements, except that the combinations of colors is potentially endless, so if you want blend textures go ahead and make them, it will only help you out.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
WHERE DO YOU COME FROM YOU STRANGE BEING. What is this JULYDECEMBER you speak of?

Lmao, so that's what was wrong!

...granted, as rediculous as it is, I will let it stand. The deadline remains, Noon, PST on Sunday, July 4th December 2010.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
So just to clarify, you say we can make a control point, but we can't use the control point model or the hologram model?

Nice idea btw. I never thought someone could make an orange mapping contest here and not get flamed into oblivion, so congrats.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
So just to clarify, you say we can make a control point, but we can't use the control point model or the hologram model?

I'm willing to let that slide, because otherwise it would be difficult as the control point entity is hardwired to the hologram model. But, no control point plate model.

Also, I've been asked about:

resupply cabinets

health/ammo pickups

capture point model

payload cart model

health and ammo pickups are fine, if you plan on making it functional and you want these items in. The rest of those in the list are not ok. Simulate those things with brushes. Make a brushwork payload cart, resupply cabinet! Be creative.

Last edited:

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
One more thing. If we want to make it a playable yet small map, can we include box rooms on the outside of the 2048 square, so that spawns don't encroach on the play area if said spawns are undetailed and essentially not part of the entry?

The reason I ask is I'd like to make a playable arena control point but I'd rather the spawns didn't cut into the play area, and they'd just be boring boxes anyway.

This is what I'm getting at:
VZTXY.jpg