***The Unofficial detailing mini-contest***

Discussion in 'Contests' started by The Political Gamer, Apr 21, 2010.

1. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    ***The Unofficial detailing mini-contest***
    [​IMG]

I was kinda getting bored and wanted to detail something but I thought it would be fun to add a little competition into the mix.

Rules:
    • 2048x2048 size. No height limit
    • 3D skybox is allowed
    • Must submit one screenshot and a .BSP.
    • Custom content is allowed, but only made entirely by yourself using your own resources, Valve's content or if is available to the public as of now (Made by someone else).
    • Maximum of two entry.
    • You are allowed to use the detailing in your contest maps but it must be original. (IE made during this contest)
    • Nothing has to be functional at all, this is purely detailing practice.
    • Your submission MUST follow this naming convention: detail_<forum name>.bsp (If you're forum name is stupidly long, compromise on your name, not the prefix. eg. detail_vfig.bsp for Velvet Fist Iron Glove's entry)
    • Everything must be finished and submitted in the upload thread before 9:00PM CST on Monday 31st May 2010! I will toss up the the upload thread a week or so before the contest ends.

In your submission (in the submission thread, Will be posted at a later date):
    • A link to your .bsp in one compressed (.zip or .bz2) achive. Use the tf2maps.net contest area or dropbox.
    • Please make sure ALL content is pakrat'd into your BSPs, but remember that you must be the author of all content submitted.
    • You should provide only one screenshot of your map, taken at the best gfx quality your pc can handle, no HUD elements or player models either. For more infomation on how to do this, click here.

Contest Prizes:

drp was kind enough to offer up some prizes:
    Any questions? Ask away!

Lasty I hope this will motivate people to detail their contest maps!

Now go get em boyyos!

(Oh and yes I will be running the hole thing with the help of the few admins left :p)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    I am so entering this.

3. ANova

ANova L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm going to enter this!

4. Firest0rm

Firest0rm L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    i have to try this

can i use a 3d skybox just to scale skybox only props?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  5. Knight-Errant

Knight-Errant L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'll like to give this a shot.

6. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    This comes a little close to the judging of the CTF contest :|

I'd like to see mappers play the maps and rate them, before spending time on another project.

7. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    detailing in hammer?

loooooool

8. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    I kinda wanted this to motivate people to create detail that fit their maps. (leading to the loose rules) Also it gives people who don't have contest maps to do something cool.

9. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Meh, I might give it a shot.

10. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry but no it must fit in the 2048x2048 space. However, you could ask someone who can model to scale it up.

11. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    We kinda didn't have one of these on purpose because the other contest is in crunch time which is basically detailing time. Jus' sayin' :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    This.

Conversations between mods recently has been "Time for a mini contest?"..."huh, everyone is working their asses off on their entries for the main contest, lets not distract them"

Then afterwards, no contests whilst judging is going on, we want people to help there instead of working on a mini contest entry. Once judging is over and a winner is announced you'll see another mini-contest.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. honorum646

honorum646 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Btw, I don't think that custom content should be allowed at all, seeing as some people have no access to the tools/skills to make the content.

Also, I think that a 3d skybox would be interesting to see, because a lot of detailed areas could benefit from the atmosphere of a 3d skybox. (The outdoor ones anyways).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  14. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Thats why the custom content that you did not make must be publicly available. IE You can use as many custom models from the model section but you can't get someone else to make them for you just for your map.

fake edit:
    If you feel that it would get in the way of the main contest feel free to lock this thread.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  15. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I'm kinda assuming anyone actually working on an entry for the main contest has the common sense to put the right one first on their priority list

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:

I don't get why you people insist on this being a rule in every god damned contest. It's stupid, and serves no point other than to make the submission look like shit.

This is stupid as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  17. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    This contest looks strangely familiar...

18. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Alright alright I will remove it.

Alright I tweaked it so you don't have to release your own stuff but I wanted people to be free to use any models they wanted.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    We can have 3D skyboxes then? Hell yeah, I'm in. :)

20. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    its not mandatory to join. if they're busy with the current contest, they dont HAVE to participate in this one. this could be for those who didnt want to do a full contest and would rather get involved withs something smaller.

• Thanks Thanks x 6