The Über Update, Day Three

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by tf2.com, Jun 22, 2011.

1. tf2.com

tf2.com L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

War. Hunh. Yeah. What is it good for? Up until right this second, absolutely nothing. We'll say it again: Absolutely nothing.

But now Edwin Starr's going to have to rewrite that stupid song of his to something more accurate, because as of this moment, war is good for something. Like what, you ask? Free stuff. March on over to World War Wednesday for all the details—or "SITREP", as we learned when we stole Tom Clancy's mail.

Also, if you weren't eagle-eyed enough to notice, the Scout made a surprise appearance yesterday with a class pack of his own. Why make a class pack an Easter Egg? There's a very good reason. Probably. There's also the real reason, which was that it didn’t fit into our Mobster, Timbuktu or War themes.

Source: TF2.com

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Da_Man

Da_Man L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    The General's Formals looks nice. Finally the ability to goomba stomp people. The new melee looks interesting.

The second one is very meh. The rocket launcher is a faster Black Box without the healing. The new Shovel is basically useless (how many times do you shovel people in midair?). However, the shotgun is dearly needed. It would be nice to pop a guy up, and then finish him of with a quick shotgun like that.

I liked the fact the Soldiers speech is an amalgamation of like 7 or 8 different speeches.

3. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Best update ever

ROCKET JUMP CRIT-SHOVEL SOLDIER REPORTING FOR DUTY

4. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    2f2f goomba stomp is finally in the game

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    BB and DH still seem superior to me. It's like a middle ground where you sacrifice both the better perks. Which is a shame because it looks awesome.

6. Doctor Paprika

Doctor Paprika L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Reminds me of this: http://youtu.be/-iPRBiCf9wU (a very underrated movie)

I will probably totally change my Soldier loadout for these. I still use the original loadout almost exclusively and have never been able to use any of the the Soldier unlockables very well because:

1. I no can rocket jump so good, so the Gunboats are useless to me

2. I refuse to use the Equalizer because of how much Equalizer-wielding Soldiers make me rage as a Medic

3. All the banners are very difficult to use effectively, and I always die before I fill them up

4. I can't aim so I rely on splash damage, so the Direct Hit is just a big tease

5. The Black Box is pointless when you have a good Medic, and if I don't have one of those I switch to Medic anyway

6. My mouse wheel has an uncanny ability to accidentally switch to melee whenever I have a Half-Zatoichi equipped

Here, though, I have a melee weapon I will actually use (I always switch to shotgun before shovel, and I'll finally be able to play support Soldier with a riding crop), a RL that seems designed for slow-wits like me who can't lead and hide like pansies to reload, and a shotgun that - lets be honest - EVERYBODY in this game has been waiting for.

7. Fredrik

Fredrik L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  8. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    whip is interesting, may even replace equalizer in some cases
    shotgun is nice and fun
    mantreads are probably just a gimmick but could be fun
    market gardener is useless even as gimmick
    rocket launcher is just another bland random stat item that makes soldier even easier to play and fucks over pyros

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  9. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    fuck pyros

• Thanks Thanks x 9
  10. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    I had the idea of the shotgun awhile ago, comm weapon kthnx.
    the whip looks insanely awesome and probably imbalanced.
    the new boots look silly and the rocket launcher is pointless.

i secretly love the gardener thing, dont tell anybody.

11. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    One could say a lot about favorization of the Soldier (come on, where are the damn Engineer items?), but this is a pretty nice pack. I'm just glad they're not bringing the magnitude of artstyle and playstyle rape we got yesterday.

Hell, it's not just ok, the items are actually pretty awesome! Ok, so the rocket launcher is a bit lame but I love how everything is so focused on the Soldier's airborne capabilities, and that includes those boots. But what I really love is the riding crop - it's hilarious and it really fits the Soldier's character.

2-1 on the "Muffin is impressed" scoreboard.

12. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    This is a good pack. I might actually switch up my soldier loadout for more than just the occasional sentry blasting. I was skeptical as to why they would give him five new items, but these really are good enough that having to pick just three would have been unfair.

13. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Anyone else like how they have hardly talked about hats and its all about the weapons. I hope they keep this up.

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  14. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not really much of a soldier player, but the goomba stomping items sound fun... and logical for soldier...

15. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Day 4 - Top Hatter's Thursday

All the classes get 6 variations of top hats

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I disagree. The +15hp per hit ontop of overheal and continued healing is the most annoying thing in the world.

It's not impossible to kill a medic combo and many players with medics will become complacent in their advantage. But a BB soldier medic combo makes me rage.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  17. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I'm loving it! i cant wait to try out the riding crop and the boots and the shotgun. Boots look like theyre well worth having to switch to to kill sentries, and while the new launcher is kinda ignorable and weak it looks cool.

So, stuff we're expecting tomorrow.
    -Meet the medic
    -2 new gamemodes
    -Medic items
    -More medic items?
    -more soldier items?
    -Engineer and Pyro items?

18. Doctor Paprika

Doctor Paprika L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also, more maps. Seriously, if they ship this "ambitious" update with only one new map, I'm going to call bullshit. Same goes for if they skip Pyro or Engineer for new items (especially Engie - he really needs a new shotgun and secondary).

19. Tekku

aa Tekku

Positive Ratings:
    Anyone noticed the map in the background, it doesn't look familiar to me, either it's barnblitz or something else..

20. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1