The TF2 Pro Mappers opinion in non-regular TF2 maps (i.e trade maps)

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
They make me jealous because I spend so much time on my "serious" map but the trade map gets so much more use.

T

The Asylum

I'll confess, I had to cut out a lot of material I had planned for Trade Plaza just to shit out the first trade map ever.

Seeing how it's the most popular trade map of all time, I guess it's sort of justified. [/self handjob]

ETA: That and getting the F-Zero race in the window to work correctly. Man did that eat a lot of time.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
They make me jealous because I spend so much time on my "serious" map but the trade map gets so much more use.

Well, for very loose definitions of "use".

If people spend more time trading items than actually playing the game, that's their fault. Or Valve's.

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
yes, very loose. but still - on rotation. I might attempt a competitive map again. They're extra picky, but when you get it right, you get a lot of love (so it seems)

Mr. Calhoun

L1: Registered
Aug 21, 2009
I'm self author of a 'non standard' map which I also consider poorly made. I'm not proud of the aesthetics of the map. It was designed in the first place to serve a special function and all the other gimmicks and functionalities were added a posteriori. I consider the entire map rather as a sort of online social experiment, trying to answer the question whether it is possible to create a somewhat to players entertaining map based upon certain concepts and ideas. It works a way like George Lucas once said about his Star Wars movies 'just throw in a father problem and a couple of references to events in the past' and people will stick to it. Of course there's a way more to it. But so far the concepts I figured out seem to work for quite a long time. And if people like it I see nothing wrong about it.

However I have to admit that I really became uncomfortable with aesthetics of my map and so I currently work on an update of the aesthetics. This time the question I want to answer is whether I can design a half-way good-looking map which fits more into the art-style of TF2 or not.

(And for me mapping is always about trying to answering questions.)

Limeaide

L2: Junior Member
Jul 26, 2009
I have never once, to this day, seen a nonstandard map be detailed properly. Maybe someday I'll make a jump map that has detailing that fits the art style.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2012
I have never once, to this day, seen a nonstandard map be detailed properly. Maybe someday I'll make a jump map that has detailing that fits the art style.

There are a few jump maps that are actually detailed quite nicely, considering their size and the speed at which players traverse them. jump_klanana comes to mind.

Mar 23, 2013

Play the saxton hale /freak fortress mode, the maps there are often quite good detailed.