"The system cannot find the file specified."

Gian

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2017
I dont know man.... ive checked for leaks about 8 times now, and re-created the skybox just to be sure.

This just started happening randomly. I was editing the map, and doing test runs to see how the map looked, and just randomly at one point it stopped working.

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Users\Gamer\Documents\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jun 14 2017)
4 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Users\Gamer\Documents\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...Bad detail brush side

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" -fast "C:\Users\Gamer\Documents\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jun 14 2017)
fastvis = true
4 threads
reading c:\users\gamer\documents\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1.bsp
Error opening c:\users\gamer\documents\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" -noextra "C:\Users\Gamer\Documents\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jun 14 2017)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
4 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
unknown light specifier type - lights

[56 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\users\gamer\documents\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1.bsp
Error opening c:\users\gamer\documents\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Users\Gamer\Documents\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\MvM_Snowpine_V2_a1.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

Please help :(

Mar 23, 2013
A sticked post on this forum hints to using this website before asking something the website can already answer for you.

You are having an invalid combination of tool textures on a brush. Perhaps it's a func_brush that is partly texture with skip texture and trigger texture or something like that.

So look for brushes were you accidently used too many incompatible tool textures on and change it so that it's only one

Last edited:

Gian

Aug 4, 2017
When you say tool textures, is that blend textures? can you give me an example please?

Mar 23, 2013
tool textures like skip, hint, trigger, nodraw, playerclip, blocklight, blockbullets2, area_portal, invisible,

Blend texture is not a tool texture, but afaik you should only use it on displacements as they don't work on normal brushes, though I don't think blend textures can cause your compile error.

Gian

Aug 4, 2017
oooooo

okay, i read something about not haveing nodraw on displacements, which i do have. does this mean i should delete the faces that the players wont see? or just texture them?

And is it only for displacments?

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
oooooo

okay, i read something about not haveing nodraw on displacements, which i do have. does this mean i should delete the faces that the players wont see? or just texture them?

And is it only for displacments?
You should only have displaced the visible sides of brush faces. If a brush face in its entirety isn't visible it shouldn't be displaced. When making a displacement, only select the visible faces of a brush, then make the displacement. The other faces are automatically destroyed. Don't nodraw displacements, that will cause the compile to fail. Blend textures only work on displacements, yes.

Gian

Aug 4, 2017
I knew most of that (i didnt know it didnt compile), but i was making cliff faces and all that jazz. Btw, I have deleted all the faces with nodraw on them and the map still wont load. Ive triple checked that i havnt missed any faces

Gian

Aug 4, 2017
Could it possibly be anything else at all? Its driving me insane that it was fine just a couple of hours ago

Gian

Aug 4, 2017
I may have found the culprit. There was a player clip brush inside a block bullets one. I was adding a collision area for props that didnt have one, so that might be it?

Mar 23, 2013
so that might be it?

I don't think so. I mean the whole brush was clip textured and the blockbullets texture is on a different brush, correct? But the error is specificly caused by a single brush or entity with multiple tool textures. You can easily test if a brush is causing the error by deleting it and just compiling your map and check if the error is still in the log.

It's this error message btw: "Find Visible Detail Sides...Bad detail brush side"

You can disable VVIS and VRAD, as only VBSP needs to be compiled to make hammer notice the issue. So you can safe a lot of time doing it this way.

If you are still unable to find the offending brush use the cordon tool: :cordonenable: & :cordonedit: With those you can easy and quick compile parts of your map. Just compile several parts until you found an area where the error occurs in, then check this area for brushes with too many different tool textures.

Don't nodraw displacements, that will cause the compile to fail

Afaik it doesn't cause your compile to fail. It just creates ugly displacements that have a visible nodraw texture. Of course these displacements need to be deleted but it isn't a compile killer, is it?

Last edited:

Gian

Aug 4, 2017
Thanks so much for the help guys. I managed to fix it anyways and all this extra info will definitely help me in the future :)