"The system cannot find the file specified."

ParanoidDrone

L3: Member
Feb 19, 2009
Me again with another weird error. Normally I'd be up to troubleshooting this myself, but it's 1:30 in the morning and I need sleep.

Short version is that when I try to compile my map I get an error message that says "The system cannot find the file specified" when it tries to copy the map from the SDK to the TF2 folders. Interlopers informed me of a leak, which I fixed, but the problem persisted.

I know I screwed up something along the way, but I'm simply too tired to figure out what it is right now, so perhaps someone could help me?

Log for reference:

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Apr 28 2010)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\team fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3.vmf
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_quarry_a3/nature/blendgroundtogravel001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_quarry_a3/dev/dev_blendmeasure2_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 346 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (1)
writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_dustbowl_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_dustbowl_01 to build the default cubemap!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_dustbowl_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_dustbowl_01 to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
Displacement 1 has bad geometry near 224.00 3968.00 144.00
Can't compile displacement physics, exiting. Texture is NATURE/ROCKWALL004

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Apr 28 2010)
2 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Apr 28 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
2 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[34 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_quarry_a3.bsp" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\paranoiddrone\team fortress 2\tf\maps\cp_quarry_a3.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

Porkchop

L1: Registered
Apr 6, 2009
Checking Interlopers, this error appears.

displacement 1 has bad geometry near 224.00 3968.00 144.00 can't compile displacement physics, exiting. texture is nature/rockwall004

Description:
One of your displacements has gone bad, your awesome reshaping of one of them has caused it to become so complicated vbsp is unable to determine its collisions.

Solution:
Although you can try to salvage your displacement by reshaping it more, its probably a better idea to destroy the displacement and recreate it. You can find the displacement by going to the coordinates 224.00 3968.00 144.00 (view-> go to coordinates) and looking for a displacement with the nature/rockwall004 texture.

This error will cause your map to fail compiling completely

Try fixing that and see how it works.

ParanoidDrone

L3: Member
Feb 19, 2009
Apparently displacements don't like it when you squeeze entire edges into one point. I was trying to do a curved slope, so I had to engage in some silly shenanigans to get it looking like I wanted.

Thanks.