The Squirrel is in

Squirrelinabox

L1: Registered
Mar 27, 2009
Been lurking here for a few weeks now while I've been reading up on some tutorials and checking out other maps as examples. Since this is an introduction thread, let me give a tiny bit of background.

It's been probably 5+ years since I've touched any kind of mapping program with my last experience being as a custom ctf mapper for the original Unreal Tournament. Few of my more play maps were ctf-hubris, ctf-deathinabox, and ctf-squirrelballs.

Anyway, I've decided to try and brush off some of the mapping rust and see what I can do with the Hammer editor. It's definitely different than the original UnrealEd, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Will hopefully have something for you all to beat on and laugh at fairly soon.

I'll probably try jumping into a few of the game days and see how those all work while trying to scope out what other people are currently working on.

Guess that's all for now :)

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
Welcome abroad!

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
welcome to the site =)

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
Welcome to the forums! I hope you find everything you need here. :D

Will hopefully have something for you all to beat on and laugh at fairly soon.
Now, now. It's constructive beating and laughing. We're like one big happy 80s sitcom family that always gets along with one another in the end, or at least by the end of the 30 minute timeslot. :thumbup:

frothy

L2: Junior Member
Mar 3, 2009
ah, the ol' UnrealEd. i loved that thing when it came out. but trust me dude, hammer is way better and way easier to use.

PS: i played ctf-squirrelballs. the only reason i remember it is because that is just a name that sticks with you :p

Squirrelinabox

L1: Registered
Mar 27, 2009
Thanks for the welcome all.

Hammer may end up being easier than UnrealEd, but obviously right now Hammer is a lot more cumbersome for me until I get used to it. Definitely sucks that there aren't bots in TF2, would sure make mapping easier if I could run through my works in progress with a few bots real quick just to see some basic gameplay.

I think one of the big things to get used to is that TF is much more constrictive with its design possibilities. Sure, you can make just about whatever you want, but to keep it "TF2-style" you're going to have a lot more restrictions on your design choices - choices that definitely end up affecting gameplay in the end as well. In UT, you could have just about any theme and the geometry/architecture could be just about anything you needed it to be to maximize good gameplay.

TF2's "style" combined with its core gameplay elements (slower characters, no translocator, etc) do make things quite a bit different from UT. Not worse, not better, just different :) TF2 may not have some of the elements of UT, but the variety in classes adds quite a bit to the mapping experience. Sniper lines, sentry positions, rocket/sticky jumping opportunities, etc.

Hmm... seems I'm starting to ramble on a bit now. This is an introduction thread, so I guess this is a great way to introduce you all to how much I like to go on and on and on sometimes :)