The part of the map you play in, and the part you don't

oolibokee

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2011
Hello

I am quite new at this bit but I am enjoying making maps very much. I have made a couple of maps based on what I want the gameplay to be, but I am noticing now that all good maps have literally a whole other world that exists beyond the areas that players can access.

Can anyone suggest how to make these areas? I mean both technically and aesthetically.

Technically: should I just use brushes and props? Are there any better ways to make these features that are less computationally intensive? How do I optimize them?

Aesthetically: this one I think I can handle on my own, but any tips are welcome.

Thanks

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Also want to mention you want to have the playable area, then some more parts around it as off-limits boundary area (both with "proper" brushes etc) and only then the 3D skybox behind that.

oolibokee

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2011
I never knew that the term "3D skybox" referred to the inaccesible structures surrounding a map--I thought it was just for the sky. That was a very interesting article:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/3D_Skybox

Let me get one thing straight--

1. make the map.
2. make a copy of some of it as the "reference geometry," being careful to include the sky_camera properly.
3. move the reference geometry somewhere else.
4. scale the reference geometry down by 1/16.
4. construct the skybox geometry relative to the scaled-down ref. geometry.
5. hide or delete the copied, scaled reference geometry.
6. profit.

Does it matter where the 3D skybox geometry is relative to the rest of the map? Does the compiler know to compile the map and the 3D skybox geometry in proper spatial relation?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Where the 3D skybox is doesn't matter, but don't put it and your map on opposite corners of the grid. Keep them somewhat close but not too close.

The compiler compiles the map and your 3D skybox based on where the sky_camera is located. It is very important to keep its position accurate, or your 3D sky will be in the wrong spot or broken entirely. Make sure both your map and the 3D sky are sealed and it should be fine.

Check the included SDK maps for examples of how the 3D sky works, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
It'll probably take you a while to learn how to make really good looking 3d skyboxes, but I'd like to add that it's extremely hard to get lighting and fog consistent between playable area and 3dsky. There really isn't any way around this, so what you end up having to do is hide the transition between playable space to 3dsky, and if you look at official maps they usually start 3dsky space behind a hill or building. Just don't put 2 brush faces next to each other between the 3dsky/playable area and expect it to look perfect.