The Other Side

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Vincent, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    Ladies and gentlemen if you would please be so kind as to lend me your ears. The moment you all haven't been waiting for. I present to you something that's taken me longer then I should have had to get done.

The Other Side is a (recommended 16 player) King of the Hill map. I've spent roughly 25+ hours of nothing but tests, compiling, and actual design on this level. I can't honestly put this map into words very well, so I'll just let my screenshots do the talking.

I'd appreciate any comments and criticism, there's always room for improvement.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    I hate to say it but the detail isn't very cohesive (the wood hallway shaped like a house/pentagon leading into the concrete room with a cement cap). I would do another pass keeping to a single theme.

3. Frush

Frush L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    - Caproom looks kind of small, leading to excessive spam.
    - I don't know what kind of theme you were going for here, but it doesn't make much sense.

4. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    The props look a bit overkill. Also you could put nodraw on the top of the roofs to cut down on file size.

5. Vincent

Positive Ratings:
    You can easily see the roofs though

I know, I like doing stupid architecture like that.
    One evening my internet went out and I got a good amount of this map done in one day and I just took it from there. :rolleyes:

I'm considering just scrapping that building and making a new building all together.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  6. Steff0o

Steff0o L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    your lights don't have glow on them, though they're emitting light,
    You could use this
    i agree that the cap zone is a little small
    Dropbox
    i recommend that for uploading your map :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  8. Vincent

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for that, I really needed a little tutorial on better lighting. I had to figure out what I have by myself so yeah, thanks.

And I like mediafire a lot so I'm probably just gonna stick to that but thanks though.

The map is a little big I'll confess, but in my playtesting I found that it didn't seem that off at all and I can still easily get around with any class. If it does become a problem I'll size it down the best I can. Thanks for the heads up.

9. Steff0o

Steff0o L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    i understand that you dont like to change, but people mostly dont like waiting for downloads. :p
    and dropbox is a really easy program that runs withouth website interface.

10. honorum646

honorum646 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm just going to say this now; nobody cares if you like mediafire, they just won't bother downloading your map. I personally don't care how good your map is I don't want to bother with ads and waiting times. Also, if you attempt to put your map up for gameday, it won't be accepted for that exact same reason.

11. Vincent

Positive Ratings:
    I don't have any wait time, and wow, you came off as very rude. Can I have an honest reason why Mediafire is so bad? If you are such a grump that one ad slightly to the left of the download link gets you all bothered and hot then I'm very sorry.

I understand, no one likes wait times. That's why I didn't use megaupload or anything of the like, no one enjoys waiting 40 seconds to download one map. Also this is the first time I've ever heard of Dropbox, I don't know anyone who uses it. I will upload it to that as an alternative as a request, though.

12. honorum646

honorum646 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    My post was not intended to be a rude post, but a reminder that there are formalities that must be met for people to take you seriously. I forgive myself for sounding rude and wish you the best for your map.

Edit: You will find that almost all the people who upload on this forum use dropbox due to it's easy access. Just copy, paste and copy public link. :)

13. Vincent

Positive Ratings:
    Revision update
    I got a little bit done with the map, revised the main cap point and such. Read the changelog for the full details.
    Also new screenshots.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I made the main download link dropbox. I've found it really useful and I thank Steff0o for recommending it to me.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  14. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    the name reminds me of gattaca....