The GoldRush Update and the Melee Only Maps

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

jack_wade

L1: Registered
Mar 27, 2008
Since the GoldRush update, maps like meleebarn, melee_rinking, balls_soccer... (that uses the script for strip non melee weapons) are crashing our servers.

Also, servers with the Melee Only Sudden Death Mod are broken.
I think that the script needs an uptade in order to include the new medic weapons, this could be the reason for the malfuction of the map.

The metod that i use is to "kill" the weapon entity by itself. For example, to strip ingame the spy's knife I use trigger_multiple>ontrigger>kill> tf_weapon_knife.

Anyone knows the name of the new medic weapons entities in order to update the script? Or knows any other script that works ok with the update?

Thanks

(Sorry if any mistake, i'm spanish)

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
tf_weapon_ubersaw
tf_weapon_critzkrieg
tf_weapon_blutsaugher

I think that should do it?

Demitri Omni

L2: Junior Member
Apr 18, 2008
I think a lot of maps are crashing due to a bug regarding the tf_gamerules entity, and the lack thereof in some maps.

Pseudo

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 26, 2008
The new medic weapons have the same entity names as the old medic weapons. The problem is that, for some reason, manually telling the game engine to create or remove a weapon entity causes the game to crash. Since the update, weapon entities will no longer accept a "Kill" input without crashing. This is true for all of the weapons. The console commands "ent_create" and "ent_remove" also now cause crashes when used with weapon entities. I don't think there's anything you can do except to wait for Valve to fix this bug.

Foreverkul

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 12, 2008
Actually, I think there is not a weapons manager entity.

game_weapon_manager

Dunno how it works though, haven't tested it, so try it out.

jack_wade

Mar 27, 2008
I answer myself :p

For the ones who has (or are creating) melee maps: It seems that the "old" metod to strip non melee weapons (the one wich enables/disables the command sv_cheats, used by "thepwner" in the first version of his melee_rinking) seems to work.

But i advise you: People can activate cheats in the game, like noclip, and the sv_cheats 1/0 spam in the chatbox is disturbing.

Use with your own risk...

And, thanks for the info ;)

HoundDawg

Dec 18, 2007
I've been away from TF2 for a number of months and discovered that my map (cp_meleebarn) crashes too with the latest update. Thanks for starting this thread and providing a few ideas. I originally used the old method and then came up with the newer method (with the help of a few others in the voogru community).

I'll do some testing soon and figure out what's going on. I sure hope that it's only a "bug" and will be patched soon. Otherwise, I may have to re-compile cp_meleebarn without the kill entities, which would make the gameplay quite a bit different (imagine SGs in the middle of the ring).

R3dRuM

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
Melee maps suck.

The only style of melee i like is the end of the round sudden death, all else are just huge wastes of time and MB.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Redrum, that wasn't necessary, melee maps are just something you personally don't like, plenty of people like them enough to justify having them. You're entitled to your own opinion, but when your opinion is that blunt, and quite unhelpful to the thread its best not to post it ;)