The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Hey. Something came to my attention today. The props that have specmaps all have them built right into the regular textures as alpha channels. This means that anyone who uses multiple skins is forced to pack redundant specmap data into what is likely to already be a weighty map file. It's especially egregious with the props that have huge textures (jeep, tank, warhawk plane, helicopter).

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
I animated the plane propellers for the bomber plane myself. Check it out here

-hg- C0RSAiR – 6

L1: Registered
Apr 5, 2017
Am I allowed to submit skins to the Frontline Project? I'm going to start working on a Camo Black Box skin, and not sure if it will be okay to throw in a skin.

-hg- C0RSAiR – 6

Apr 5, 2017
Can I submit Vietnam War and Gulf War themed items or does it have to fit the theme of both World Wars?
I apologize if I'm annoying you with questions.

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
Can I submit Vietnam War and Gulf War themed items or does it have to fit the theme of both World Wars?
I apologize if I'm annoying you with questions.
Could get away with early early vietnam. Gulf war is waaay too far in the future for TF. I mean you can have a desert-themed war map as long as you don't get incredibly political about it.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
To be fair, World War II was too far into the past, considering how multiple characters' backstories had them doing other things at the time and the Scout probably wasn't even born yet.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
There should be more northern/eastern WW2 stuff as well. Molotovs, soviet heavy tanks, skis etc.

Bluemario2

Apr 25, 2017
Would it be possible to get in contact with the creator of ctf_aerospace and see if it could be added to Frontline? I think that it would be a great addition, as for the most part it fits the theme, just some changes (from ctf to KOTH, sky color change, slight geometry change, etc.) and it would be perfect for the update. Plus it would bring an old forgotten map back to life.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
I think there should be some jet fighters added, or perhaps skybox boats / battleships.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
We shipped an update today - better late than never! Here's what changed:

- Updated materials for the trench wall props and fixed a bug with the floor planks.
- Added variations of fortwall textures as per community request.

You can download the update here. Thanks!

-hg- C0RSAiR – 6

Apr 5, 2017
Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I'm having some trouble deciding which modeling program to use to make some Frontline cosmetics. Which one do you guys normally use? Again I apologize for asking a lot of questions.

-hg- C0RSAiR – 6

Apr 5, 2017
Oh, one more thing. I'm studying mapping as well. I'm making plans to create a Frontline version of 2Fort (ctf_2fort_frontline). Is that acceptable for submission?

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Any and all submissions are welcome as long as they follow the rules and guidelines set forth on the Frontline webpage. As for modeling programs, it's all up to personal choice. Many contributors use anything from Blender to ZBrush to 3DSMax and get by just fine all the same. Up to you!

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Hey. Something came to my attention today. The props that have specmaps all have them built right into the regular textures as alpha channels. This means that anyone who uses multiple skins is forced to pack redundant specmap data into what is likely to already be a weighty map file. It's especially egregious with the props that have huge textures (jeep, tank, warhawk plane, helicopter).
Update: Turns out it's even worse than I thought. Some things, such as the motorcycle and the jeep, have an alpha channel that's not even being used for anything! Had you planned to make a phong mask at one point and then not gotten around to it? I'd personally rather have one than save some space, because phong masking adds an extra bit of depth to things that you don't notice until it's gone, but do what you gotta do.

EDIT: Oh also the oil spill props aren't available as static props; was that a mistake?

Last edited:

Minimus Ambus

L2: Junior Member
Sep 28, 2016
How does one install the Frontline! pack onto a server? I put the pack in "C:\tf2server\tf2\tf\custom" yet when I launch maps with frontline textures or props in it, the map doesn't load it. Does anyone know why?

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
How does one install the Frontline! pack onto a server? I put the pack in "C:\tf2server\tf2\tf\custom" yet when I launch maps with frontline textures or props in it, the map doesn't load it. Does anyone know why?

You shouldn't need to install anything to the server. The maps should have them packed in.