The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
I assume this is the vmt the planks use, and while comparing it to the trenchwall_128 vmt (wich does not have this issue) I can see that

Code:
    //"$bumpmap"    "models/props_frontline/trenchwall_1_n"

but it is still
Code:
    "$bumpmap"    "models/props_frontline/trenchwall_1_n"

in the "trenchwall_boards_1" vmt.

To clarify, can you confirm that this problem is only with the model that separates the planks from the pillars? Like, the models that are just 4 planks and such. If it also persists outside of those models, please let me know. Thanks!

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
To clarify, can you confirm that this problem is only with the model that separates the planks from the pillars? Like, the models that are just 4 planks and such. If it also persists outside of those models, please let me know. Thanks!

Yeah It only seems to appear on he sparate planks, the walls are working fine.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Yeah It only seems to appear on he sparate planks, the walls are working fine.

That makes sense now, thanks! I'll arrange to have those fixed along with a handful of other small fixes in v1.1.2.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I feel like we ought to establish some etiquette guidelines when it comes to using these. I'm seeing a lot of alpha maps, including very early alphas, that use a bunch of these when it isn't necessary. Common wisdom is to put off heavy detailing until beta, and regardless of your thoughts on that, I think it should especially apply if you're planning to use a lot of bandwidth-heavy custom assets. The tank, in particular, uses 2048×2048 textures per skin, and I've seen multiples of them just sitting around as decoration. Also, the custom resupply cabinet, which could easily just be the regular one for testing.

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
m0fxxgL.png

These broken window textures look a bit silly when ovelays from explosions and bullets also cover the broken glass. Not sure if this can be fixed but if it can be fixed it would make the texture work better close to combat areas.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
m0fxxgL.png

These broken window textures look a bit silly when ovelays from explosions and bullets also cover the broken glass. Not sure if this can be fixed but if it can be fixed it would make the texture work better close to combat areas.

Unfortunately that's how all glass textures work, and changing anything about it to remove the scorch marks from rockets would also remove the impacts from bullets, melees, etc. I imagine it wouldn't be too noticeable unless you were actively looking for it, though, but who knows!

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
The pack should get more WW1 stuff as well. Stuff like a WW1 Tank and Payload Cart, Bolt-Action Rifles, Vickers Gun, Biplane, Chemical Smoke Effects, Cavalry Sabre and other fun stuff for decor.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Im trying to make a map for the Frontline update. :payload: You guys think it's a good idea? (Also im new in this website) :spy:
How about one with Frontline!/Invasion/moon base theming. RED's base is retrofitted with alien technology from a nearby crash.

DeathAnimations Team

L1: Registered
Oct 9, 2016
How about one with Frontline!/Invasion/moon base theming. RED's base is retrofitted with alien technology from a nearby crash.
I started making a normal WW2 theme map but i think i may just trash this map im making to make your idea! I think this update already have lots of people making WW2 normal themed maps, and one with alien stuff is actually pretty unique, thank you so much! I will use your idea and, if possible, maybe give you credit on the workshop for the idea. =)

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014

Here's an in-Hammer what I was thinking of when I said this. It's reeeaally sloppy, as I threw it together in 15 minutes (8 of which were spent finding models.

HAD9UoL.png

DeathAnimations Team

L1: Registered
Oct 9, 2016
My map is getting a little different (Also becouse i can't find the Invasion update models anywhere ;-; ) I even made my own alien spaceship which i think it's pretty good. Also im making a diferent kind of map based on your idea: An actual war in the moon and the name of my map is "Moon War 2" (WW2 Reference) =)

Sor

L2: Junior Member
Jul 29, 2016
Why are trenchwalls called in a different way than everything else?

256 is 204
128 is 104

etc.

Moth

Jul 3, 2016
So Valve has announced a bunch of changes to the way they're gonna handle community updates, starting with the jungle update. Are theses changes gonna affect Frontline?

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
those changes were announced literally like a year ago, VNN is just slow

frontline was made with the new system in mind

Moth

Jul 3, 2016
Alright thanks. Had to explain a bunch of people frontline wasn't "dead", because of that video.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
those changes were announced literally like a year ago, VNN is just slow

frontline was made with the new system in mind

VNN's slower than the second coming of Jesus