The First Thing Done

Dwanor

L1: Registered
Mar 10, 2019
So, I’m generally new to map-making. What’s usually the first thing you guys would do when making a new map?

Lacry

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 25, 2019
Well, i don't have a lot of time making maps but i usually start with an idea of what im going to do and start thinking in fun zones to play, after that i make a sketch of the idea and from the concept i start blocking the map in Hammer from there is making adjustment and a lot of test. But maybe there is other ways to do it, for me this one is the most useful.

freedom

L3: Member
Jan 14, 2017
i block out a funnish area and then just make thing around it until either it sucks in playtesting or i delete it all and start over because why not

Wyvern

Certified TF2 Cartographer
Feb 16, 2018
Welcome to the community!

I would look over the sticky threads under the Tutorials & Resources forums when it comes to setting up your first map: https://tf2maps.net/forums/tutorials-resources.57/

As for my personal method, I usually begin by sketching out a a base plan of my map(basic geometry, crucial level features, etc.) on a piece of paper. This step is often overlooked by new mappers, but I can tell you from personal experience that this method helps tremendously, as having a set plan pretty much guides you through development. A common mistake many new mappers make is placing down a gigantic brush and putting stuff on top of it. DO NOT DO THIS! This method of building 'kills' height variation, and makes for a really terrible area to play on; I know because I've created many maps with this method. I hope that this helps, and once again, welcome!