The EU TF2maps.net server has some serious problems.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I can play TF2 all day long with not a single issue (apart from me peeing my pants/starving to death) at over 150 fps, but as soon as I join the EU TF2maps.net server the game's unplayable. FPS immediately drops down to about 5 fps and stays that way for the rest of the time I have TF2 open, no matter what server/map I'm on. And no, it's not an unoptimized map problem, as I've had it now with over 5 different maps on the same EU server, and the US server isn't causing any problems.

It was fine before, but at some point something somewhere is strangling TF2 to death upon joining the server and keeps doing that until I completely quit the game and do a restart. If I join the EU server again after that restart the circle completes itself and the same issues start all over again.

Can some staff figure out what the hell is going on? Some config maybe? Plugins? I really want to play on and test maps made by this fine community but because of the issue described above I'm unable to. It's like watching a slideshow.

Might help to know I'm on OS X 10.10.4.

Sep 7, 2012
Are you in NA or EU? If NA, have you tried other EU servers? Your net settings might be really wonky and choke you out once your ping goes over a certain level.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Are you in NA or EU? If NA, have you tried other EU servers? Your net settings might be really wonky and choke you out once your ping goes over a certain level.

EU. Ping stays low since I'm fairly close to the server's location, net settings aren't the problem as they stay normal.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I think I have the same problem as you, and I'm on Windows. I can get a fairly decent ping and yet I get random bouts of extreme lag.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
It's not random bouts of extreme lag, it's continuous 5 fps on a machine that has the networking and CPU/GPU capabilities to run this game at 80 fps+ all the time with the most optimal ping possible.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
It's not random bouts of extreme lag, it's continuous 5 fps on a machine that has the networking and CPU/GPU capabilities to run this game at 80 fps+ all the time with the most optimal ping possible.

Oh, nevermind. Still, TF2Maps.net and its servers have really been acting up recently, one way or another.

Hope your problem is resolved, Captain.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
The EU server has had a lot of issues lately, it seems. I had to run an EU imp on the US server the other night as a result and it was awful (and not just because the majority of the maps I ran were terrible and/or broken).

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Can some staff figure out what the hell is going on? Some config maybe? Plugins? I really want to play on and test maps made by this fine community but because of the issue described above I'm unable to. It's like watching a slideshow.

Plugins and configs are identical across US/EU servers, with the exception of sv_pure I think.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I've never had an issue like this, and no one else is chiming in that they've also had the issue, which points to it being on your end. It might be a routing issue or something.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Shouldn't that make more servers have problems? Because it doesn't.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Not necessarily. It's just about packets being sent/received to you/the server. If there's one shitty connection it could easily only affect a small subset of players/servers. Try doing a traceroute.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
So after looking at a net_graph on a Valve server vs the EU TF2maps.net server it's clear that for some reason the outbound connection to the server is locked at about 6 ticks/second where it should be 66 ticks/second. Anybody know what might be causing this?