The Community Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I have a great idea for everyone to get a map of the game at the same time.

There will be a map created by everyone by everyone create a small section of the map. Everyone will do the same amount of square space, so nobody feels left out. The more inexperience mappers can still get a map into the game. There will be a checklist of what even square space needs. There will be a vote for what game mode and theming of the map should be. The map will be under the Mapping Community. Then when the map gets into the game all the money would go back into the website.

This will be great so even one will be proud that they have gotten a map into the game.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
There’s a maximum limit on how many contributors can be on one workshop item, and I sincerely doubt that valve would consider putting something like that in officially.

The Clown Car is why we have a limit.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=4846

Well you could get around that by creating one account and calling it Mapping Community so it would not pass the limit due it being one account.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
This has been attempted before, at least twice.

Unsurprisingly, it was an abysmal result for the parts done, and the rest of it was incomplete because people don't want to be beholden to map on a schedule something like this would need.

I know you want a map in game, everyone does, but you might just have to work on it like everyone else and not hope to ride the success of someone else's experience.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
The tf2m community has exactly zero decent project managers. I might be the closest it gets as far as managing a mapping project goes and I'm shit at it so there ya go. As a community, we just haven't developed and fostered the skills required for successful collaboration.
It's not impossible, but getting a team of people together and teaching them how to collaborate is REALLY hard and requires a LOT of effort. It's honestly more challenging than just making the map straight up. Could collaboration become viable? 100% yes, source is actually great when it comes to collaborating on a single map. Is it anywhere near close to viable given the current state of the community? Very doubtful unless you bring in talented project managers. That's the main reason why most collaborative efforts that go above teams of 2 mappers will fail.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
This has been attempted before, at least twice.

Unsurprisingly, it was an abysmal result for the parts done, and the rest of it was incomplete because people don't want to be beholden to map on a schedule something like this would need.

I know you want a map in the game, everyone does, but you might just have to work on it like everyone else and not hope to ride the success of someone else's experience.

Don't you think I have tried before hard on making a map before? I have and it didn't work so I am trying to find other options. It's easy to say that you have to work hard. You have already gotten the taste of getting a map into the game so it may seem to say to work hard and you will get a map in. You are not me, you don't want to bash in your head by thinking of failing at creating another map. And then people shit on the map. And that keeps failing at everything I do. Do you know what it does to a person who keeps losing at everything? It hurts, it hurts a lot. If you can't do something one way, try another way. If this doesn't work, try another way.

Last edited:

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
The tf2m community has exactly zero decent project managers. I might be the closest it gets as far as managing a mapping project goes and I'm shit at it so there ya go. As a community, we just haven't developed and fostered the skills required for successful collaboration.
It's not impossible, but getting a team of people together and teaching them how to collaborate is REALLY hard and requires a LOT of effort. It's honestly more challenging than just making the map straight up. Could collaboration become viable? 100% yes, source is actually great when it comes to collaborating on a single map. Is it anywhere near close to viable given the current state of the community? Very doubtful unless you bring in talented project managers. That's the main reason why most collaborative efforts that go above teams of 2 mappers will fail.

What happens if Valve has hosted the big map. You would have to submit your part of your map by a deadline. Then valve can just put it all together into the map.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Don't you think I have tried before hard on making a map before? I have and it didn't work so I am trying to find other options. It's easy to say that you have to work hard. You have already gotten the taste of getting a map into the game so it may seem to say to work hard and you will get a map in. You are not me, you don't want to bash in your head by thinking of failing at creating another map. And then people shit on the map. And that keeps failing at everything I do. Do you know what it does to a person who keeps losing at everything? It hurts, it hurts a lot. If you can't do something one way, try another way. If this doesn't work, try another way.

I have been making maps for 7 years before I ever had a map in the game. You assume I got there by default. I made many maps that were scrapped, abandoned, many years of trying my best and getting nowhere.

A community map is a valid idea but like fubar says (though I wish he hadn't been so condescending about it) people have their own ideas, their own motivations and most importantly their own ways of working. Making a collaborative map with many people would need very strong project management. Are you willing to do that? Because most people are not, they'd rather work on their own things.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
What happens if Valve has hosted the big map. You would have to submit your part of your map by a deadline. Then valve can just put it all together into the map.
that... is not how maps work. also valve being involved doesn't solve any managerial issues
if anything it worsens them

On not making it into the game. Try harder, then harder still, and then harder some more, then accept you haven't been trying hard enough and try even harder. If you're anything like me, it will take you a decade to get there, you'll have set everything aside to chase your goal. And then the sad part is... you'll eventually reach that goal, and you'll have nothing meaningful left in your life because of the neglect you've had for just about everything else. Reaching a goal of that magnitude can fuck you up pretty good. Real talk, it's difficult to handle. Just a warning, don't be a fool about it. Careful what you wish for blah blah blah... etc. I'm saying this because I don't think you have a healthy mindset going in and it's likely you'll wreck yourself even if you succeed. Been there, done that. don't be me. you really don't need to have a map in the game.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I have been making maps for 7 years before I ever had a map in the game. You assume I got there by default. I made many maps that were scrapped, abandoned, many years of trying my best and getting nowhere.

A community map is a valid idea but like fubar says (though I wish he hadn't been so condescending about it) people have their own ideas, their own motivations and most importantly their own ways of working. Making a collaborative map with many people would need very strong project management. Are you willing to do that? Because most people are not, they'd rather work on their own things.

You are either good at something or your not. You happened to be good at a point and then you improved on your already good talent for making maps, you had a few scrapped maps but you still already somewhat good when you started. I am not lucky, I can't get heights right, can't create choke points, can't create hallways with different hallways, can't create a bomb hatch, cant create skybox properly, can't create doors right, can't create sniper sightlines, can't create trains, and can't create open areas. At least you could pick up on simple things like doors and skybox. I can't. That is when I mean you are good at the start or not. You must have a talent for it. Try all you might but you are not good at something you can't get better.

Just look at my War Paints no improvements. So I deleted them because I would not be able to improve.

Last edited:

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
You are either good at something or your not. You happened to be good at a point and then you improved on your already good talent for making maps, you had a few scrapped maps but you still already somewhat good when you started. I am not lucky, I can't get heights right, can't create choke points, can't create hallways with different hallways, can't create a bomb hatch, cant create skybox properly, can't create doors right, can't create sniper sightlines, can't create trains, and can't create open areas. At least you could pick up on simple things like doors and skybox. I can't. That is when I mean you are good at the start or not. You must have a talent for it. Try all you might but you are not good at something you can't get better.
You at least seem very aware of the things you can improve on, you're more ahead than you think but for whatever reason you're giving up. so be it.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I don't know where you got this impression from that you're either good at something or you're not. My first map was a box. My second map was twice the size of snowplow and a CTF map and had a sightline so long you couldn't snipe from one end to the other because it was longer than the maximum distance of a sniper bullet. My third map was even bigger and I made big square buildings and nothing else.

You're screwing yourself over, and if you think this way you will never succeed.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010

Just look at my War Paints no improvements. So I deleted them because I would not be able to improve.

You are impatient and want results too fast. I've been mapping for 8 years now, and my early alphas are still garbage, but I take the time to develop them and don't get discouraged because it's not perfect right away.

Please stop making threads that round about lead to you whining about the same issues you have.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.