1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

the black/pink checker problem.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by fubarFX, Jun 11, 2009.

1. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    I want to discuss a problem I've encountered today.

after using my trusty buildcubemaps, I noticed there was still some checker of death on some reflexion. after looking a bit closer into this, I figured out these checker were reflections of other reflective materials. a window reflecting an other window in this case, the reflected window had checkers on it while the actual one was looking fine.

I started looking around for some solution and guess what! running the buildcubemaps a second time did the trick!

it kinda feels wrong tho. feels like I'm forcing my way into this. is there really no other solution than having 2 iteration of buildcubemaps?

because loading the map, building cubemaps, reloading the map, building cubemaps again and reload is a pain in the ass imo

2. TracerDX

TracerDX L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    mat_specular 0 before you build cubemaps. This disables the "purple and black" cubemaps before taking all the screenshots to build new ones.

Doing it a second time diluted the "purple and black" out, but its still there in trace amounts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    how come I didn't think about that first *facepalm*
    haha.. thanks for the help

4. TracerDX

TracerDX L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    It took me awhile to figure out myself. :blushing: I was doing 4 times to bleed out as much as I could in very shiny areas.

5. III_Demon

III_Demon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    the right way to do it, really, would be to kill specular and then run it twice anyway. its a little anal, but building cubemaps is so easy, why not?

6. shpladoink

shpladoink L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    You only need to build them once for each HDR setting, as outlined here.