L1: Registered
Jan 21, 2012
My five votes:
koth_hazzmando (of course)
cp_suomimies55
cp_banana
cp_blandsjapan
arena_maccyf

I didn't get to play most of the maps (67 is big number), however, those I did play I enjoyed. Well done to everyone who managed to submit a map, and for all the excellent and hard work by everyone.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
Here's my votes, or rather the ones I feel like voting/writing feedback for. I'd do more but I'm sort of burnt out on criticism generating for the entries.

koth_snowlodge YES: Really like the detailing of the map, definitely feels very "comfy". The first point is probably my favourite of the two, the spiral staircase leading up to it is a pretty fun area.

cp_blandsjapan YES: Your detailing of the map really shines on the mid and second point, however last feels the most incongrous of the lot. Gameplay wise I'm not a giant fan of 5CP so I'm a bit biased, but it seems too easy to turtle up on last.

ctf_14bit YES: I didn't even realize this was a 72hr map at first, this is probably one of my favourites from the contest. Really fun, the doors "gimmick" is neat enough that it doesn't feel super gimmicky.

cp_nixonsummer2015 NO: Fairly standard A/D CP map. First point is fun to play around, so is the area leading up to second, however second itself is possibly way too tough for BLU to actually push into. Plus, there's a few areas that bug me; to echo someone else's complaint many of the fences are player-clipped all the way up, while some aren't.

cp_peasant NO: not much to say about this map. Feels like the two points are a bit too far away from eachother, and BLU is also extremely far away from any of the points. [joke]The map should be disqualified for usage of the "moneyface".[/joke]

cp_kubeking YES: This map grew on me, surprisingly. Early on in development I wasn't really a fan of it, but towards the end I really liked it. My only complaint is sometimes the height-differences in some areas is a bit too intense.

cp_banana YES: I like this map, my only comment is that the last needs to be a bit more...attackable, I guess. Feels extremely easy to just turtle in there forever.

koth_basin YES: Wow! Straight away I was pretty blown away by how good looking the detailing was. Other than the HDR lighting being a bit too bright, I'm amazed this was done in 72 hours. However there are a few noticeable problems with the map - it's incredibly easy to hide sentries in the foilage, and there seems to be almost no optimization done.

cp_track_point NO: I'm also a fan of the detailing on this map, however the map as it stands has some major sightline issues. The entire map could do with shrinking a tiny bit.

pl_way NO: Not a fan of this map at all, personally. Due to it's crampedness it feels impossible to play Scout or Spy effectively without getting murdered at chokepoints, aka the entire map. It feels like Dustbowl's third stage, which would be neat for a short-area on a payload map, but the entirety of the map just gets old.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
YES
Code:
koth_egan_72_a5
cp_jess72_a4
koth_slaughterhouse_72_rc1
koth_pughead_72_b1
cp_kalt_72_b3

NOT PLAYED YET
Code:
koth_crop_72_a4
cp_garden_72_a3
cp_echo_72
cp_duststroll_72_v3
koth_mangoe_72_a5_fix

MAYBE?
Code:
tc_valleyhamlet_72_a2
cp_blandsjapan_72_a4
pl_tornadoom_s2_72_a3
cp_snowlodge_72_b4
cp_tidewater_72
koth_cloudtop_72_b2
cp_overgrown_b3
koth_turf_72_b3

All maps set as "Maybe?" shall become "Yes" when the voting time is over without me noticing.

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014

• cp_kalt
  • koth_egan
  • koth_pughead
  • cp_jess72
  • cp_overgrown
  • ctf_14bit
  • koth_basin
  • koth_cloudtop

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yes list:
  • ctf_14bit_72_a6
  • cp_mom_72_a1
  • cp_snowlodge_72_b4
  • cp_tidewater_72
  • koth_cloudtop_72_b2
  • ctf_contour_72_a3
  • cp_banana_72_a5
  • cp_track_point_72_final1
  • koth_egan_72_a5
  • koth_pughead_72_b1
  • cp_overgrown_b3
  • cp_kalt_72_b3

Not played list:
  • koth_powerplant_72
  • cp_trotim4_72_a2
  • arena_scamper_72_a1
  • koth_crop_72_a4
  • cp_suomimies55_72_a4
  • koth_ra_72_a1
  • plr_trestle_72
  • rd_wormatty_72_a1
  • cp_garden_72_a3
  • cp_echo_72
  • cp_gunfight_72_a5
  • cp_ace72_a3
  • pl_displacement_a1_72
  • pl_clocktower_a1_72
  • koth_hazzmando_72_b2
  • cp_jess72_a4
  • pl_zippycewpew_72_a6
  • koth_turbulence_72_a1
  • koth_altwine_72_a1
  • pl_cargo_72_b1
  • cp_duststroll_72_a3
  • koth_mangoe_72_a5_fix
  • arena_maccyf_72_b4
  • tc_sinkhole_72_b2
  • plr_gravelroof_72hr_a1
  • cp_mayan_72_v5_1
  • koth_safari_72_a1

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
cp_estuary_72_a2 Overscaled, can't push back.

Okay, can't push back I understand, and I'm aware the issue is there. But overscaled?
Literally the only complaints on scale I got was the map was too SMALL.

Could you elaborate a little?

Last edited:

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
Okay, can't push back I understand, and I'm aware the issue is there. But overscaled?
Literally the only complaints on scale I got was the map was too SMALL.

Could you elaborate a little?

I felt that the hallways and buildings were too tight, but the points themselves were too far apart. Either that, or it may have been the wide open areas near mid, or the long hallways you had to push through to second. I was rushing and only had time to write overscaled in my feedback box. I hope that clears up my thoughts. I liked the theme BTW.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Yes:
cp_garden_72_a3: I like the style and the color a lot, geometry and feel of it all is good. Some OP sniper sightlines from 2nd ramp through to back mid waterfall. I like the variety.
cp_kalt_72_b3: B got capped really quickly in most rounds that I played this map. Attacking out of the first spawn for blue was hard. I liked the gameplay around C & D.
ctf_contour_72_a3: I think if engis on last were nerfed and gamemode was fixed that it could be kinda fun. i think the details for people leaving spawn areas are a bit drab, could put some excitement there maybe. would like to see it played competitively.
koth_cloudtop: FPS is kinda bad in most places on the map because most places on the map are able to see eachother - as cool as these open areas are its probably best to sectio them off for fps' sake. The height around mid feels kind dangerous, maybe fine, but i like feeling like im not gonna die. =)
koth_egan_72_a5: I like it. Maybe 3 seconds universal instead of 2,4,6 across the counts. Experiment!
koth_pughead_72_b1: Generally had fun with this - interesting use of buildings and angles for new geometry things, while still using solid existing elements (the bridge). It was a bit hard to tell which side of the map I was on-maybe just hard to tell where mid was in most areas looking forwards. Some dark areas.
pl_clocktower_a1_72: I actually really enjoyed this! The second stage seemed hard to set up defense on with the low amount of ammo given to engineers, but we were playing at 7v8. The 3rd stage is pretty insane and it could easily be locked down with a competent defensive team, but I'd play it again.
pl_spacebase_nioxed72_b3a: Last feels a bit messy, gameplay wise and aesthetic wise. I like the cramped feelings over the station but it feels like some areas are really too cramped - ie need flanks - B point. B point is hard to retreat as a red when you get on fire, gotta go up side stairs and all the way back to spawn, etc, no easy way.

Didn't play:
koth_watertower_2
cp_banana_82_a5
cp_blandsjapan_72_a4
cp_coelslaw_72hr_a2_withdetail_hdr
cp_cowcanyon_72
cp_echo_72
cp_frostgale_b1
cp_kubeking_72_a5
cp_mom_72_a1
cp_nixonsummer2015_a4
cp_overgrown_b3
cp_peasant_72_a4
cp_tidewater_72
cp_track_point_72_final1
cp_woolfe_72_a1a
cp_zespice15_72_a1
ctf_intersect_72_a6
koth_basin_72_a5
koth_hazzmando_72_b2
koth_powerplant_72(2)
koth_ra_72_a1
koth_rocket_pit
koth_slaughterhouse_72_rc1
koth_transpose_72_a3
koth_turbulence_72_a1
pl_geit_72_a1
pl_way_72_b1
pl_zippycewpew_72_a6
plr_trestle_72
rd_wormatty_72_a1
sd_gremlin_a1
tc_valleyhamlet_72_a2c

Other feedback:
koth_nonameyet_b1: The mid point is cool that its simple and close-quarters. There seems to be a lot of healthpacks. I kinda wish my team could more easily back me up on the point, really easy to get meat-shotted between the fence and the stacks of green shit.
arena_scamper_72_a1: The moving car thing is a kinda cool idea but it suprised and annoyed me more than i thought it was cool beans.. The dark areas of the map feel overly dark. Good health placement at mid. Some geometry feels like it butts into 'my zone' too often, like walls are too thick or geometry too weird, kinda hard to explain.
cp_duststroll_72_v3: Hard to get out from A to B as blue since the routes can be locked down by height so easily. Lots of too-dark areas. Attacking 2nd is frustrating because all the entrances are really cramped and the only way to poke your head in is with an ubercharge. Neat geometry ideas.
cp_trotim4_72_a2: Hard to defend B. I like defending A because i stand behind the point area but it is hard to find ammo and health.
koth_mangoe_72_a5_fix: Second exit from spawn pretty much useless since it comes up right next to regular one. Map is a bit too simplistic and allows for enemies to spawn camp the exits easily.
pl_cargo_72_b1: Good transition from your first empty versions! Last seems too easy and first is prone to choking hard with that tiny tiny route on the cappoint. The lack of height given to blue may also be an issue. Second seemed a bit too easy to take. Third in the same way.
pl_displacement_a1_72: I think i like first point, but its a bit hard to tell my way around it even after repeated playtest. Second doesnt stay long enough, too easy for blue to invade red last, red last hard to judge because of that. A could be pretty cool !!
koth_turf_72_b3: I felt a bit too obligated to immediately enter the enemy battlements because where else am I going to go after taking the point and no enemies are around - and it's right there afterall, 5m in front of me - this ended up taking me out of the koth area and the fight to secure it. I don't really like the one way door area, it felt a bit bland and empty beyond that use, boring a bit, flat maybe. I like the detailing, it looks good!
cp_jess72_a4: Map is really large. Lots of walk times. Intro areas of base are really similar and confusing - you could chop those out and the distances from mid to base may be okay. Mid is a bit large-scale generally too.
cp_sakura_hill_72c: Navigating the layout at first is a bit confusing because you can end up at locked points with no enemies around. The steel type is kinda fun and attacking last is fun.
cp_suomimies55_72_a4: Pretty fun area, some bad fps approaching mid. Hard to tell layout a bit when approaching mid - may want to let players gain some highground like powerhouse so they can observe routes better / easier. Like how you might go spec to see layout - let players do that.
koth_altwine_72_a1: I actually enjoyed it! I think mid should be more bumpy with displacements to make sniper HS harder, and should def make that HDR bloom less intense with a tonemap_controller entity.
koth_crop_72_a4: I like the theme! Pretty okay ammo and health placement for the most part, a bit hard to find ammo on mid. Mid is pretty flat, makes it hard to dodge sniper HSs or flank generally. Hard to hit snipers on roof battlement cause they dodge splash so easily up there, idk how to fix that easily.
koth_waterock_72: Map should have 'direct' lighting from the light_environment so sun shines illuminating player colors - can't see player color at all on point area. Bases generally too close to point area, need buffer zones and fallback places, also will give variety to combat.

Having not played 33 of the entries I'll see if I can play some during the bonus tests over the next 3 days but no guarantees.

Last edited:

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Yes:

Cp_Banana_72_A5 - I'm happy with how this turned out actually, probably the first time i had fun playing my own maps. I really love the gameplay on last point. Major problems are stalemates between last lobby and second point and second point having a major bug with the rock clipping. 6/10

Koth_Pughead_72_B1 - The most official feeling map in the contest. The map has an interesing use of angles and gamegplay around the point is a blast. Flanking routes felt a little lackluster, and a good heavy/medic can lock down the point. 7/10

Koth_Cloudtop - This map looks amazing, plays amazing has very few overall problems. The art is very developed and uses the source material really well for TF2. Thr bottom area of this map is undrdeveloped and the height around the point is massive, which makes capping harder than it should be. 7/10

Pl_tornadoom_s2

Cp_sakura_hill

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2014
My votes so far:

Yes
CP_Snowlodge
CP_Tidewater
Koth_Cloudtop
CP_Cowcanyon

No
CP_Suomimies55_72
PL_Tornadoom Stage 2 72
KotH_Schedule_72
Koth_Safari
CP_Blands_japan

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I felt that the hallways and buildings were too tight, but the points themselves were too far apart. Either that, or it may have been the wide open areas near mid, or the long hallways you had to push through to second. I was rushing and only had time to write overscaled in my feedback box. I hope that clears up my thoughts. I liked the theme BTW.

OK then, I don't really see any overscaling issues, except maybe behind mid, though I suppose you're entitled to your opinion.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
These are the maps I am voting Yes for:

arena_maccyf_72_b4
cp_cowcanyon_72
cp_garden_72_a3
cp_gunfight_72_a5
cp_jess72_a4
cp_kalt_72_b3
cp_kubeking_72_a5
cp_mom_72_a1
cp_sakura_hill_72c
cp_snowlodge_72_b4
cp_suomimies55_72_a4
cp_tidewater_72
cp_timber_72_a2
koth_cloudtop_72_b2
koth_pughead_72_b1
pl_tornadoom_s2_72_a3
tc_valleyhamlet_72_a2c

Obviously Valley Hamlet is my own map, so do whatever you do with self-votes.

I played every single map.

Doktor Richter

L3: Member
Feb 13, 2014
Yes votes:
cp_kalt: I love the aesthetic of this map, including all the neat shiny ice effects. It's fun to play and improved significantly since the first time I played it. Maybe my favorite map so far.

cp_tidewater: Another map with great detailing and great gameplay. Just all-around great.

koth_cloudtop: Pretty cool koth map. I really like how the could detailing looks so far. There's plenty of height variation around the point without making it seem too unfair.

koth_egan: I think you've finally nailed bringing deathmatch elements into TF2, mostly because the deathmatchy bits serve to augment the cappable objective and not vice versa. Would love to see this concept developed further.

koth_pughead: All-around solid koth, aside from a few visual issues

koth_slaughterhouse: A nice gimmick, a solid map, and a creative overall theme.

pl_tornadoom_s2: No idea what the tornado does or if it even works, but you've got a solid payload map regardless.

cp_banana: Solid 5cp.

cp_trotim4: Some wide open spaces, but overall not bad and pretty fun.

cp_timber: Pretty fun, but probably darker than it needs to be.

Maps I didn't like. I did my best to provide constructive criticism so the authors have something to learn from, and to improve their map from if they decide to continue working on these:

cp_estuary: Mid is alright, but the connector between second and last is weird. You've got a massive chokepoint, and the only flank route takes you from all the way behind last...to the space right in front of the chokepoint. I can hardly see how it's useful for either team, except for spies who can get very far behind the enemy. Because of that, the game just kinda dies once second is capped. I would perhaps rework the flank route and add another to bypass the choke.

cp_rocktown: The first stage is very small; you can see the second point from the first point. The second point also gives you a height advantage right over red's spawn which makes it very easy to kill them as they walk out to try and defend the point. The map lacks flank routes in general, and there's usually only one way to get to each point, whereas more balanced maps offer several routes to each control point. There are also a few places where blu has to fight past red spawn to get to a control point, which can be very difficult.

koth_altwine: The area around the control point is very wide open, and it's fairly hard to play flanking classes when the enemy team controls it.

koth_basin: This map has a really neat aesthetic, but other than that it's fairly flat. The leaves all over the place make it hard to spot sentries, and it's difficult to fight enemies up on the raised platforms since there are few ways to get to them. Options for non-jumping classes feel limited, in general.

koth_safari: The huge trenches around the point weren't very fun to play in, and the massive height advantage of the point makes it pretty easy to hold. It feels like a lot of the map just need to be downscaled a bit.

koth_turbluence: The garage door near the point does not block bullets, which breaks the map completely. Other than that, the area around the point is kinda flat, and doesn't offer much interesting geometry to fight around.

koth_waterrock: You've got a good start for the control point, but there's almost nothing else in your map. You need some buffer areas between the team's spawn rooms and the point. Take a look at stock koth maps and see how much area there is between the spawns and the control point; that would be a good start. Your lighting is also really weird; the whole map is in shadow because of the massive walls, and it's very hard to see what is going on anywhere.

koth_watertower: Every path in this map feels like it goes around the point, rather than to the point. Currently the only way to get to the point is to climb a steep dirt pile. Try adding more ways to get to the point, and having the pathways in your map naturally flow towards the point, so players find themselves going there naturally.

pl_cargo: The way this map uses flanks feels really weird. It feels like the main path is really really long and winding, and the flanks cut right through it and let you skip enormous chunks of it. Flank paths should be a creative option for fighting the enemy off the main path, not a shortcut to get really far behind them.

pl_way: This map feels very cramped around the main path. There's not quite enough room for 24 players to right comfortably. There are also quite a few choke points with only one small flank or no flank at all. Last has some pretty interesting ideas, though.

cp_garden: I like the sort of marble-palace detailing, but the geometry around the middle point is flat and plain, and last puts the defenders at a huge height disadvantage. Second aslso seems somewhat hard to hold unless you can push past it really quickly and trap the enemy in the pit around last.

cp_dustroll: The whole map is fairly dark, and there are some places where you can't see at all it's so dark. Some of the flanks and control point areas are also just a little cramped.

cp_mayan: This map is enormous. Probably about 20-30 times bigger than it needs to be. It's so big, you can't even see all the way across it; it simply doesn't render. There are some interesting architectural ideas, but TF2 simply isn't meant to be played at this scale. That's all there is to it. Look at the size of some other maps and try to start around there.

cp_track_point: This map has some serious sightline issues. Snipers on the sides can dominate the entire central area. There's even a sniping spot (on the tires in the corner at mid) that lets you see all the way to an enemy spawn door from your side of the map.

cp_woofle: This map doesn't offer nearly enough routes for attacks to get to control points. The second point of stage 1, for example, only has two doors leading to it, and they both go through the same area. On the second point of stage two, red can easily just rain fire on both entrances from the point. The map just needs more options for getting around the nasty chokes.

pl_displacement: It's a solid start, but it feels like it lacks direction somewhat, and it was easy for me to get lost and wind up back at your own spawn, or spend awhile wandering around looking for the front lines.

tc_sinkhole: This style of cp feels really weird to me. It felt like the teams were constantly chasing each other around in circles trying to get each others' points, and it didn't feel like coordinated fights were happening often, especially at the aboveground points. I'm also fairly disappointed that this isn't actually a tc map.

koth_turf: I can't put my finger on it, but the side doors coming from spawn feel really weird to me. They take you right to the point, and sometimes into a fight on flat ground that you can't get away from, which made using them as scout kind of awkward. The rest of the map isn't too bad, though.

cp_kubeking,
cp_jess,
cp_gunfight,
cp_suomimies: I had a fair bit of fun on each of these maps, but I can't ignore the elephant in the room: the stalemates. I suppose 3cp was still in its infancy before the contest, though, and I've gotta give you all props for trying out an untested gamemode. I think, with tweaks to the last point, these could each become pretty fun.

Everything else, I didn't get a chance to play.

Overall, I had a great time testing maps and seeing what people came up with, but couldn't get to every map I wanted to try, which was a major bummer. If I do get a chance to play some leftovers, I'll update this list.

Last edited:

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
get your votes in folks, the voting was supposed to end 36 minutes ago but Idolon hasn't locked the thread yet! go go go!

remember you need AT LEAST 5 YES VOTES for your vote to count!

Status
Not open for further replies.