TF2maps presents: The Pacific Pack!

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
tf2_mappack_banner2_edit.png

The Pacific Pack

Yes! It's true. TF2maps is planning on a new pack, themed around Henke's excellent "island" pack idea.
Are you excited? Don't answer that, of course you are. We'll be starting work on a set of island maps over the summer, and we're doing things sligthly differently to how you were expecting.

To start, a few of us -Aly, EArkham, Fr0z3n, Schwa and myself- will be working together to make several close-themed maps. Now, put down your pitch-forks, this is to ensure that no matter what happens, there will be a group of dedicated of mappers and modelers to make this pack a reality. We chose to do it this way because it will make sure that the pack is as uniform in theme and quality as possible. PUT BACK THAT PITCHFORK, I'M NOT DONE YET!

We aren't closing you out! That'd be more stupid than jumping into shark infested waters! Everyone is welcomed and encouraged to contribute maps, models, textures, for consideration into the pack! Keep in the mind though, the goal is to have the highest quality, uniform map pack that we can. If you are *serious* in contributing to the map pack, talk to us! We'll get you the stuff that you need! (More info, see below)

Us in the cabal are planning to blog the process and be as open as possible. This includes things like reference documents and style guides- though these will come later.

FAQ
What theme is it?
Island. Each of the planned core maps will have a slightly different take on the theme. For example we have an island resort, jungle ruins, volcano base and maybe even pirate ports pirate-ports. If you're still stuck, think "The Incredibles." Palms, coconuts, sand. Monorails through treetops. Waterfalls. Rocket silos in volcanoes. Pirate Rocket silo's in a volcanic volcanofall- Oh, little too much there. Sorry, but I'm sure you get the idea.

What will the core maps be?
A mann vs machine map, a payload map, an a/d capture points map, and a koth or 5cp map. Themes are incomplete, but "jungle ruins" and "holiday resort" are being considered for two of them.

When will the pack be released?
"When it's done." When the core maps and models are complete, plus anything else we want to include. We don't even want to give an estimate yet.

How can I contribute?
Firstly, by making maps. We're expecting to be able to add a few other maps to the pack, and we definitely don't want you to think that just because you're not in the core doesn't mean that you can't contribute a map.
Secondly, we'll be looking for plenty of models to help the theme stand out and of course we'll be looking to tf2m to help make these.
We'll have a list of props we want soon, and if you have cool ideas for other props i'm sure we can fit them in. (So check back!)
We also want to including some hats or equippables, so feel free to make some of them. They can be whatever fits the "Island Pacific Theme." Hula skirt for the pyro, a tiki mask for the spy, a coconut grenade launcher for the Demo.
Later on there'll also be things like making a SFM trailer, a website, and so on. We're hoping to get as much of that done within the TF2M community as possible.

How will you decide what goes in the final pack?
Basically, the best. To clarify what we mean by that, we'll be taking top-quality maps and models.
We want to keep a coherent theme, so matching the core maps will help. Style guides and such will be posted as maps approach beta. We're wanting new maps, either just started from scratch, or still very early in development. Do not revive old maps. Maps added will need to be of highest "It's basically the best I can do," complete quality.
Final decisions about how we pick who/what is included in the final pack will be made announced nearer to the time when we will be making decisions. We'll keep you posted, so check back! We don't have a deadline yet, so manage your time wisely!

Something to note is that bandwidth is one of the main constraints on the map pack, so it can't be too big. That means that there will be tough decisions to be made.

What should I do if I want to contribute?
Whatever. Free country, man. I would appreciate a forum PM from everybody who wants to contribute, so I can have a reasonably definite list. Just because you aren't on this list doesn't mean you aren't involved, of course. We want to keep this as open as possible.

What maps can I make? Can I make two maps? Can I-
This isn't a contest. There aren't any hard and fast rules, except the theme. We want your best work. You think your VSH Medieval underseas zero-gravity map will be up there with the best of tf2m, who are we to stop you?

Can you include my old map?
Probably not. If your map: is more than two months old, is already in beta, has been publicized outside tf2m (including being in one of our official contests) or has been significantly playtested outside tf2m, then we're sorry but we're not interested right now.

I need Resources!
For starters, here's more than 200 reference images.
More resources will be added here as maps start to go beta.

I have another question, or a complaint.
Post it in the thread, or send it to me by PM or steam.

Last edited:

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
Custom models, if shared between the maps, won't increase actual size because they won't be separately packed if it does go into TF2.

Maybe for the most part of development we could have some cheap brush func_details assets as fill in to avoid downloading 100mb map files every new gameday.

Anyway this sounds exciting. I want to contribute somehow!

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
To adress those concerns last night in the chat about the restricteness of this theme;

It's actually not. There's a lot you can do with it, like in the OP;
Jungle ruins
Spytech mountain base
Spytech jungle base
Volcanic
Island resort
Pirate-themed trading port/town
Underwater super villain base

That's 5 or 6 distinctly different themes that fit within this, and each map doesn't necessarily have to be completely different. That's more than enough to make a "full" pack!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Oh! Something else we didn't seem to mention in the OP.

We're going to be doing some blogging dealio based around this pack! About what? We aren't 100% sure yet, it'll be about a lot of things though! Design theory, map updates, pack updates, etc! We're doing it so it's not just for updates, but to help others be better with their mapping or modeling skills!

It'll either be through nodraw.net, or our own blogging page. More info to come within the week.

Vaconcovat

L3: Member
Jan 15, 2012
This is sounding pretty cool. Are we letting valve know about this before we do it, or are we going to just do ti and hope the publicity gets valve's attention?

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
I can finish off Congo for this. It's in detailing anyways. Would that be something of interest? The Congo isn't really an island.

We're wanting new maps, either just started from scratch, or still very early in development. Do not revive old maps. Maps added will need to be of highest "It's basically the best I can do," complete quality.

A frayed knot.

Mar 20, 2012
Detailing as in, I'm detailing my alpha into a beta.

If you check my thread it's still in alpha.

But I'm fine if you don't want any in-progress maps.

EDIT: It was tested by this community last year as a prototype layout. I'm thinking that might be the deal breaker, here.

Mar 23, 2010
isnt every landmass is an island?

portland was supposed to be an island or at least beachy and i have a new 5cp that has a boat but idk if its islandy or jungly enough?? they are both more bulletcrops/urban than jungle probably.

Last edited:

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
I'm absolutely positive I can start an entirely new map for this.
It's a wonderful idea and I would love to be a part of it.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Continent is really just a fancy word for "really big fucking island."

Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English < Latin continent- (stem of continēns, present participle of continēre to contain), equivalent to con- con- + -tin-, combining form of ten- hold + -ent- -ent

Latin, infact.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I want to see volcanic in this, it fits the theme in my opinion.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
I want to see volcanic in this, it fits the theme in my opinion.

Since Volcanic is an already well-known map, we're not allowing it's inclusion into the pack.

There is a set of guidelines in the OP about what maps we're considering. Basically, we're asking for new map from-scratch (or really early alphas).