TF2Maps.net Major Contest #16: Back To Basics [MAIN THREAD]

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

We've given up! Please just make a fun map. We don't care what it looks like or what mode it is or how many times you can make the payload go in a circle, just please make us anything that plays well. We're going Back To Basics: No arbitrary restrictions, no detailing, just gameplay.

Rules
  • You must make a 'standard' map. Any gamemode is fine so long as it can be easily categorized as symmetrical/asymmetrical and runs on a standard server with no modifications. This excludes MvM or any gamemode that requires a plugin to run.
  • Maps may be no older than four days before the date and time of this post.
    • We didn't do a very good job of announcing the contest in advance, so we've added a bit of leniency.
  • Your map must be able to accommodate for a standard amount of players. This means a minimum of 16 spawn points per team for standard maps.
  • Maps must be uploaded to the submission thread before the soft deadline. The submission thread will open a week before the soft deadline and will close at the hard deadline. More details on deadlines below.
  • Your map must be fully functional; meaning it includes objectives, spawn points, is fully lit and both teams can reasonably win.
  • Everyone can enter (other than those banned from entering contests), though judges, contest organizers, and those otherwise involved directly in judging cannot win any prizes or place in the top 3.
  • Limit two entries per person.
    • This is for contributing to a map through Hammer. You may contribute to more than two maps with regards to custom content.
    • In the event that a lot of people enter two maps and we get a large volume of entries, we may require all multi-entrants to withdraw one of their entries.
Custom Content

We do not expect these rules to come into play due to the nature of this contest. However, here they are just in case:
  • Each map can have a team of four collaborators. A collaborator is someone who has contributed to the map either via work in Hammer, or through the contribution of custom assets.
  • Only two members of a team are allowed to work on the map in Hammer. All other collaborators must be asset contributors.
  • People are only considered asset contributors if their custom content has not been released to the public prior to the start of the contest.
Deadline
  • The contest begins as of this post.
  • The contest ends October 14th, 2019, 11:59 PM (23:59) GMT.
    • That's about two and a half months from now.
    • The deadline used to be September 30th, but there has been a two week extension.
  • An upload thread will be created about a week before the deadline. You must post your map in this thread to submit your map.
    • You may do whatever you want with your map before then. It is highly encouraged to upload your map and have players test it before the deadline so you can get feedback and improve your map.
  • You will be given 48 hours after the deadline to fix any bugs that crop up. After that, no more updates.
    • If you discover a bug with your final submitted version, you have the option of reverting to an older version of the map, provided that it is already uploaded to TF2Maps.net and/or our game servers.
Judging

Maps will be judged only on the basis of how much fun they are to play. Detailing is not a required component of this contest. However, aesthetics still do play a role in how well a map plays. Lighting cues can tell players what routes they should use, and a cleaner or more professional looking alpha will always feel better to play than a sloppily constructed one. Keep these things in mind when designing your maps!

We anticipate getting a lot of entries for this contest, so we plan on doing some aggressive weeding of maps to ensure we can deliver results without keeping maps frozen in development for multiple months.

In addition, since this contest is so open ended, we will be dividing the map pool into Symmetrical and Asymmetrical categories to be judged separately.

Here is the system we will be using:
  • In the initial round, official judges will have two weeks to reduce the map pool to 10 Symmetrical maps and 10 Asymmetrical maps. This will be done through a yes/no/neutral vote. This may end early if most/all judges get their scores in early.
  • In the second round, the public will have two weeks to reduce the map pool to 5 Symmetrical maps and 5 Asymmetrical maps. This will be done through a yes/no/neutral vote.
  • In the final round, the public and official judges will have three weeks to score the remaining maps on a 0-10 scale to decide winners in each category. The public/judge vote will be weighted 40/60 respectively.
Official judges have a bit more sway in this contest, which is why we are also changing the judge system. Instead of relying on just three judges to provide in-depth scoring and analysis, we are reducing the workload for judges and allowing more people to participate.

Judging will include:
  • Giving a yes/neutral/no vote on all submissions in the first round of judging
  • Providing a single gameplay score and written feedback (as brief or extensive as you like) on all 10 finalists
  • That's it!
Basically, your responsibilities are not that much different from being a public voter, and your vote counts more. The aim is more or less to prioritize the opinions of a few people that we (staff) believe to have a good eye for good maps (which has always been the aim of having judges) while also flattening the power structure a little and reducing the workload for judges (which has always been too much).

If you are interested in judging, send me a PM. Being a judge will disqualify any of your maps from winning prizes or being "officially" placed, but they will still be scored and ranked. If you work on a team, your teammates may deny your ability to judge if they would still like to have a chance at winning prizes/placement. You will not be able to score your own map.

Prizes

There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in both categories, meaning six winners overall. All winners will get Mapper's Medallions and picks from our pool of game keys.

Last edited:

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Well this gives me a perfect excuse to finally make that attack/defend map I've wanted to! I was worried it wouldn't fit into the rules or the theme, but this contest being open to everything fixes that problem. Crossing my fingers that I can finish in time!

KineSquared

L2: Junior Member
Sep 30, 2012
is there a limit on how detailed a map can be? Obviously only the gameplay matters, but i imagine really nice aesthetics might have a slight effect on how people view the maps

Startacker!

WANT ME TO BE REAL? MAKE ME.
aa
Jun 15, 2013
I endorse this contest

mat_mot0

L2: Junior Member
Feb 11, 2018
I'll be out of the country for a month :( , but I'm looking forward to criticism to improve my maps' gameplay.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
This is great! Just last night I thought up a pretty risky map idea, so this will be the perfect opportunity to test it out and work out the kinks!

Aapelikaeki

L3: Member
Feb 24, 2018
hELL YeaH gimme those JUICY alpha maps :jimijam::jimijam::p:p:p

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
is there a limit on how detailed a map can be? Obviously only the gameplay matters, but i imagine really nice aesthetics might have a slight effect on how people view the maps
There is no limit, and it is up to you how much effort you want to put into the different aspects of your map. However, bear in mind that submitting something that clearly had a lot of effort put into its looks may actually cause people to score your map lower, since they may feel that you did not spend your time very effectively with the map's development.

goem

L3: Member
Sep 15, 2016
Wow, I'm great at making fun map and bad at making fun map look good, this sounds like my kind of contest

RevolutionTeam

L4: Comfortable Member
May 19, 2019
PERFECTION.

I have ideas... lots of them. And September 30th? Good deadline for me... I hope... I've been going on lots of trips recently.

nᵗʰSonata

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
Is there a limit to the number of submissions/collaborations one member can be a part of? I have a number of ideas for maps, so if things go well enough I might submit multiple

Klowwd

L1: Registered
Nov 16, 2017
Probably not going to participate, just looking forward to seeing what maps come out for this. I love community maps!

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
We've revised the rules a bit after some comments. Since we didn't do a very good job announcing when this contest was starting, some people started maps just a few days ago instead of waiting for the contest to start. As such, we are now allowing you to enter with maps that you started up to four days before the start of the contest. This isn't that significant of a head start, so we hope this isn't an issue for the mappers who are starting as of today.

Eddie himself

L1: Registered
Jun 19, 2019
Your map must have been started after four days before the date and time of this post.
what does this mean? maybe I'm stupid but this hurts to read.