TF2Maps.net Major Contest #14: Connect 5: The Original TF2Maps.net Boardgame

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
The maps will all be judged as submitted.

The reason it takes so long is that there are a LOT of maps to go through, and each judge needs to go through them all. Judges are volunteers, so we can't expect them to rush through 20+ maps a week.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Judging takes a while because we have to play everything multiple times and we have lives outside of playing maps. Even after we get to a finalists list (probably 10 maps) that's still 10 maps * 3 tests = 30 tests total; 30 maps / 5 maps a playtest (around 2 hours) = 6 playtests minimum. 2 tests a week means 3 weeks, about the time period allotted for the finalist judging round.

onra77

L1: Registered
Feb 16, 2017
Are the maps getting tested by actual gameplay session ? Or is the jury evaluating by roaming the map in noclip or playing against bots ?

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Are the maps getting tested by actual gameplay session ? Or is the jury evaluating by roaming the map in noclip or playing against bots ?
The maps are currently on rotation on our servers, and we play them in a few organized tests. I may try to organize a test in the next few days, although I may also get busy since I'm moving from Italy back to the States this weekend, so I might pester someone else to run the test.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
It occurred to me that y'all might like to actually discuss the preliminary voting results, which you can't do because I locked the voting thread. If you'd like to congratulate people or talk about the results, here's the finalist list and the final tallies again:

Backwash, by Carange
Chounai, by red3pit
Guava Gulf, by 14bit
Hazyfort, by Asd417
Ice Tower, by Midlou
Log Place, by Zahndah
Oasis, by UEAK Crash and Freyja
Snowcastle, by Idolon
Voltage, by MegapiemanPHD
Yanqing, by Saph and Diva Dan

prelim results.png

VIEW FINAL TALLY IN GOOGLE SHEETS

(original post)

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Haha, I was one of the only two people that voted on every map!
Did you play through them all with a full server of people? I know your votes popped up super early when we barely did any testing on the server yet. If you played them elsewhere I'm sure the mapper's would enjoy more direct feedback from that testing.

Jack5

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 6, 2018
Did you play through them all with a full server of people? I know your votes popped up super early when we barely did any testing on the server yet. If you played them elsewhere I'm sure the mapper's would enjoy more direct feedback from that testing.
I did my tests on LAN with bots. I know that 'bots aren't a real substitute for players', but I wasn't basing my feedback on the bots. I have a lot of experience in judging a map just on my own because I'm a moderator of some server for several years all about choosing completely viable maps.