Our servers are now running a Steam Workshop rotation, if you'd like your map to be considered for inclusion on our rotation, post in the rotation discussion thread

Or, if you just want to play some of the best community maps the Workshop has to offer, you can join our servers by clicking these links:

TF2Maps.net Major Contest #13: Asymmetry 2: Asymmetric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Freyja, Sep 23, 2016.

1. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't think of this! I'll bounce it off the other staff and get back to you.

I'll leave that one up to @phi : she's still in charge, i'm just lending a hand sorting out judges.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    If it really is the best in more than one categories, why not?

3. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    Because its possible that someone could win 4 categories, and get all of the prizes (except 2 which they could theoretically also get one of), which is debatable over whether it is very fair that they win them all. The best map winning makes sense, but it would cut out slightly less skilled mappers, as one very good mapper probably could make a map that would win all of them. Then maps which still are good but not quite as good get no publicity and the mappers who worked hard on them get cut out for just about not being good enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MaccyF

aa MaccyF L∞: Not At All Disappointing Member

Positive Ratings:
    I feel like the 'best overall' category would cover these cases

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Asd417

Asd417 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, I'm posting this again because I forgot the other thread was upload only.

I made my map using a vmf RaVage uploaded on orphaned map section. This is the thread and the vmf I used is the first one. The vmf was uploaded before the contest but most majority of my map was made by map during the contest period.

Someone told me that I should ask if my entry was breaking the rule. So is my submission breaking the rule?

6. RodionJenga

RodionJenga L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    As I see it, if Ravage had made his orphan after the contest started, your map would be valid as a collab. But he didn't so it isn't.

But I'm just a lowly comfortable member, so :shrug:

7. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Took some deliberation of the staff, so sorry for the late reply. We came to the conclusion that geometry from an orphaned map created before the contest is not allowed to be used for an entry to the contest. While we realized you didn't use a ton of it (so hopefully it's possible to replace it in time to enter it still?), but we worry about opening the door to a lot of issues in the future by setting a precedent allowing it. Models and materials made before hand are one thing, but someone starting off with a potentially ready to play tested map, or a significant chunk of one isn't something we want to allow, for fairness.

Sorry!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Fantasmos

aa Fantasmos

Positive Ratings:
    Hi just wanted to know about voting.

If we vote in one category, do we have to vote in the other? I'm aiming to vote for the gameplay category, however timezones + ping make me feel as though I would come to unfair evaluations since I can't play properly (i'm still deciding whether to vote in that category or not) however I can surely do the aesthethics category.

9. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    I think we can allow this, particularly if you back up your scores with feedback.

---

In other news, I've cleared some non-voting posts out of the voting thread. I appreciate the discussion there, but lets keep that thread tidy and discussion here.

10. Hosomi

Hosomi L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I apologize for the missing texture in my map, something must have gone wrong with compilePal as it packed the model but not the texture :L

11. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Upon consideration, we've decided to remove cp_firewatch from the judging. Ultimately, it's too easily broken for the large amount of judging we'd need. Sorry folks - fix it up and add it to some normal tests, and we'll see how we can help you!