Buy Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor for PC at Green Man Gaming

TF2Maps.net game server closure [OLD]

Discussion in 'Featured News' started by Idolon, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    EDIT: TF2 has been deemed safe to play by Valve and our servers are back online.
    See below for the original post:

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  2. Pocket

aa Pocket Ya like Jazz?

Positive Ratings:
    As I understand it, downloading the Source SDK includes at least a good chunk of the engine's source code, for the benefit of people who want to make total conversion mods that entail writing custom code. So whatever's being exploited here must be either a fairly recent addition or something specific to those two games. Which doesn't surprise me, but it does highlight my frustration with Valve's refusal to maintain the public codebase as the engine has evolved.

3. iiboharz

aa iiboharz eternally tired

Positive Ratings:
    The Source SDK includes the game specific code that runs on top of the engine. What's present here is, to my knowledge, that code for TF2 and CSGO, and I think the whole engine itself? Which is unprecedented.

4. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    Valve has confirmed that CSGO is safe. This confirms nothing about TF2, but it does make me optimistic.

It is worth noting that there is no actual confirmed exploit, and this leak doesn't necessarily mean there is one - it just means any exploits are now much easier for hackers to find. We're just playing it safe until we get word from Valve.

5. Pocket

aa Pocket Ya like Jazz?

Positive Ratings:
    Coulda sworn the devs of TF2 Classic said they forked it from an earlier TF2 code leak.
    So that excludes the code for the rendering pipeline? I assumed that was already available since people have been able to write new custom shaders.

6. iiboharz

aa iiboharz eternally tired

Positive Ratings:
    You can write shaders and plug them into the system among other things but you can't modify things like the physics for example.

7. Gᴇɴᴛʟᴇ Pᴜᴘᴘᴇᴛ

Gᴇɴᴛʟᴇ Pᴜᴘᴘᴇᴛ L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    https://twitter.com/TeamFortress/status/1253186405175418880

Team Fortress 2‏ @TeamFortress
    Regarding today's reported leak of code, specifically as it pertains to TF2: This also appears to be related to code depots released to partners in late 2017, and originally leaked in 2018.

From our review, we have not found any reason for TF2 players to be alarmed or avoid the current builds (as always, playing on the official servers is recommended for greatest security).

We will continue to investigate the situation and will update news outlets and players if we find anything to prove otherwise. In the meantime, if anyone has more information about the leak, the Valve security page (next tweet) describes how best to report that information.

8. 14bit

aa 14bit L14: Bit Member

Positive Ratings:
    We already reopened the servers yesterday after we got the all clear, this thread just hasn't been updated yet. I'll let Idolon know he should update the main post and title. For the most up-to-date information about server status, check out the announcements channel on our Discord server, we're a lot quicker with our information there!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
Buy Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor for PC at Green Man Gaming