Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010

meet_the_72hr2.png

The 72hr Summer Mapping Contest
June 27th @ 4PM EST, 2014 to June 30th @ 4PM EST, 2014
Rules and Regulations | Upload Thread | Voting Thread​

36 Maps. 36 bloody maps. You guys are driving me nuts because that is AWESOME! So many people entered in, this is fantastic. Congratulations to everyone who has made it this far and made it through the weekend. Now, time to vote. As stipulated by the rules:

VOTING
After the 72hr mapping period is over, I will check maps for incompatibility issues, make disqualifications, etc. If you suspect that a map has broken a rule (or 2 or 3...) please contact Fr0z3n ASAP. After all maps have been reviewed and necessary disqualifications have happened, I will open up the voting. This process should take no more than a day and a half. You are encouraged to play maps while I do this, as it will help me get through it quicker.

Voting will be done differently for this contest, than the previous contests.
  • No matter the amount of entries for the contest, there will be no preliminary vote. All entries are 'finalists'
  • There will be a 3.5 week period of voting. You will be asked to play all the maps (or as many as you are able) during this time frame.
  • When you have played the maps, you will make a post in the VOTING THREAD, stating the 'best 3' maps that you feel played well, had good balance and complimented/fit with the provided theme of the contest. You MUST provide a sentence or two (or three or more...) saying why you feel the map is in your 'best 3'. An explanation is needed for each map. Failure to provide 3 maps, and accompanying explanation for each will result in your vote being null and voided (It won't count.)
  • You can edit your votes at any time during the duration of the voting period. Once the thread is closed at the end of the voting period, all votes that have been cast are final.

Results will be determined as followed
  • At the end of the voting period, the voting thread will be closed.
  • Each map that receives a vote is given 1 point.
  • The map with the most points will be deemed the first place winner. Second most will be second and third most will be third.
    Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 maps.
  • Once votes are tallied a results thread will be posted with the total results and winners.
  • Incase of a tie in the top 3 maps, and only the top 3 maps, I will provide a short voting poll to break the tie. You will vote for ONE map. This tie-breaking voting will last only 72hrs. At the end of the 72hrs, the map with the most votes will be given the highest rank of the tie breaker. Second most, second highest. This will happen for any and all tie-breaks of any size in the top 3.
    Example: If three maps all have 16 points and are tied second place, then those three maps will go into a tie-breaker voting round. A poll will be created with all three maps. At the end of the 72hr tie-breaker voting period, Map A has 5 votes, Map B has 3 votes and Map C has 9 Votes. Map C will be awarded full second place. Map A will be awarded full third place and Map B will be placed in 4th place. There is no prizes for you, Map B!

Basically, play all the maps, and pick your three favorite AND WHY.
For those who would like a map list of all the file names, click here.

For those who would like to, the map pack, you can download it here.
For server owners who would like to add these maps to your servers, please download the .bz2's here.

*****PLEASE NOTE, koth_fredrik_72 has been used in a previous contest under the same name. Please make sure that you over-write the old one with the new one or you will receive errors!

Voting ends on Friday, July 25th at 4PM EST (9PM GMT)​

Last edited:

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
pl_inari - I need to play more of this map. It has flaws, some background part of my brain is aware of them but every other part of my brain is just like "Yeah, this is fun" and the more I play this map the more the concept of giving feedback fades out of my mind. So yeah, until further notice, I'm voting for this map because it's fun and nothing more. Sorry I can't be more useful, I know you're kind of starved for feedback on this map right now.

ctf_redplanet - The gamemode is a really nice take on CTF that encourages teams to push out rather turtle up, the timers also mean that rounds are shorter and quicker paced than the usual slogs of CTF and Invade CTF.

ctf_encounter - I really dig the circular CTF layout. Although it has its own issues like teams meeting up at weird times and places, or not at all if both teams turn the same direction out of spawn, it nullifies some issues with the CTF gamemode, like really difficult chokes leading to stalemates and needing to take the intel past the enemy's spawn to get to your base.

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
removed the list of maps because there's one in the OP now

Favorite maps so far:
cp_alex76
pl_martialkombat
pl_inari

Taking notes on every map before I make a decision.

arena_doge
This is just silly. It can be fun, but it's pretty stupid and mindless. Hiding in spawn is the best tactic.

arena_egan
Cool idea for a gamemode! Haven't played the latest version, but its certainly the most unique map of the contest (as usual)

arena_loggery
The map is really open. There aren't enough small-scale areas for some classes to really be all that effective (at least, coming out the spawnroom). The layout is pretty simple for an arena map, a lot of routes aren't as flankable as they ought to be for a gamemode that should be keeping every class on their toes.

arena_mhanko
The overall layout is a bit overscaled, although certain elements in the layout themselves are scaled well. The mid is very open and unstructured, and the only real flanks are just straight lines parallel to the mid. Brute force is pretty much the only way to win this map, when arena is more about being sneaky and conservative.

cp_alex76
Decent fun! Mid felt like it had some weird flow, and pushing out of last was really difficult. Still, fun overall. Respawn time on last for defense seemed a bit much, and points seem a bit too close. I'm no 5cp expert though, so take that with a grain of salt.

cp_crashinburn

cp_discovery
The exits from spawn to each point are fairly easy to camp. The cap points are fairly uninteresting and don't provide a lot of height advantage to play around, as the spawn exits are all on the same ground level. The asymmetry of the map seemed like an odd choice, because it means that you have to know how to attack both points from either team's side, rather than just knowing both sides of the same point (not sure if that made sense).

cp_googugajoob
The lighting is realllllly dark. Making out team colors is difficult in dark places, and the overall dark tone actually got me lost in the map a few times since everything looked the same. The layout is very overscaled, and I probably spent more than a full minute just walking before I got to a fight. I'd have to play this more to figure out better why I don't like the layout, but the scale of everything definitely ruins the map.

cp_invade

cp_mt_toast
Need to play this more. Caps seem to cap way too fast.

cp_snowstation

ctf_encounter

ctf_miniscus

ctf_orange_reclaim

ctf_redplanet
Probably the best take I've seen on ctf! It still suffers from all of the problems that are inherent with ctf (only one guy holds the flag, causes issues for badly organized teams/pubs), but it's really a great idea. I'm not sure if I'm too keen on the map itself (it felt really chokey) but you get bonus points just for the gamemode idea. Work more on this!

koth_farm51

koth_fredrik
Overscaled, but kinda fun. I need to play this with a full server.

koth_korea
This map has a lot wrong with it - you can enter enemy spawns and there aren't any spawn doors. The layout is also flat and uninteresting. Maybe good for a small group screwing around, but pretty much unplayable as an 'actual' map.

koth_launch
Feels a lot like Lakeside. I'm not much a fan of Lakeside, but that's personal preference. It's well made (and the ending is really cool), but I just wasn't able to enjoy it.

koth_notrushed

koth_probed
Clever mechanic! I actually thought I would die if I got abducted, but I figured it out eventually. I think you already know most of what's wrong with the map, so I don't really need to repeat what you said during our playtest.

koth_spoil

koth_something

koth_waytoofuckingfast

koth_yacan1
The layout is decent. The point isn't very great for gameplay though, as it's an oddly-shaped capture zone that's pretty much the last place I want to be standing. There's a lot of routes to it, which is good, but it felt like enemies could come from anywhere, and there wasn't any cover. The yard areas to the side of the point are close enough that you can attack people on the point without really approaching it fully. If you widened the mid area, made the yards a bit shorter, and put some cover and/or height advantage on the point, it could make this a lot more fun. Also, more lights!

pl_amairo
The cart always seems to get hung up on the 2nd cp. After that, it steamrolls to the end. Balance issues aside, the layout is decent. I think you know what needs to be worked on.

pl_goldblum
The map is really overscaled. There's missing playerclip in a lot of areas (making it possible to get trapped and even fall out of the map), and numerous other bugs (getting stuck inbetween a hill and a building, building stuff as engie in a spawnroom). The layout isn't very good either. Aside from the issue of sniper domination, there isn't a whole lot of height to play around with, and there are hardly any flanks. Scale is the biggest issue, and I think

pl_inari
It's got some monster sightlines, but it's also fun. Not the best of your work, but certainly not the worst either. You should work on this more, I enjoy playing (certain parts of) it!

pl_martialkombat
Pretty fun! It's got some weird bits, but overall an enjoyable map. Maybe not a personal favorite, but I want to see this developed more.

pl_smash
The layout is really, really simple. There's not nearly enough flanks to make this fun to play. Final is interesting, but the rest of the map is pretty much one route - there's hardly ever a way to attack anyone except head-on.

pl_smileyship

pl_starward
There's not enough interesting layout around the tracks. There's a decent number of flanks, but a lot of them don't really help with attacking or defending the cart itself. The first area of the map is pretty flat and open, and it's just not much fun to play. You've got a good base for a map, though!

plr_micnax

plr_vanilla
Okay. Not a great layout, but it's not bad either. It works, but it's safe and boring. Maybe a bit overscaled?

sd_hd_kaptain_kul
The gamemode isn't explained at all, and the first time we tested the map we couldn't actually figure out how to win. The lighting is incredibly dark, which makes team colors difficult to make out. I'm not sure if I completely understand the layout, since some routes are completely shadowed - that, and it's also quite big. Snipers would probably dominate the map if it wasn't for the lighting.

sd_wich

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
My votes are:

arena_egan
Very fun and unique. Despite a few annoyances with the mode (such as skeletons often targeting their own team), it was a very fresh and cool idea, and a nice take on the aliens theme. The map served the mode well, I think and seemed to provide a decent balance for both teams.

ctf_encounter
An unusually fun take on the CTF game mode. The circular design made it a very interesting experience, and even though the intel rooms were kinda hard to get into, it did otherwise serve to make the map much more fun than your average CTF.

pl_inari
Just overall very solid and impressive. The layout has a lot of fun areas to play in and has a nice flow, and does a good job with the farm location, despite the challenge of farm maps often feeling pretty flat.

Last edited:

Smileytopin

L1: Registered
Nov 25, 2013
My opinions so far

arena_byre
*Have not played yet*
arena_doge
Small map, made in roughly 1 hour, but it was the most fun I've had on tf2 in months. This map is a giant deathpit that lacks detail, size, and ammo packs with over 4 large healthpacks 3 feet from spawn
arena_egan
*Have not played yet*
arena_loggery
*Have not played yet*
arena_mhanko
Ehhhh, still a spammy and snipery map. Not really sure, just the buildings all look the same and there are huge sightlines still. I need to recheck the map for lighting and other things. This map works fine technically and doesn't have any major errors (like a broken koth).
cp_alex76
I forgot this map :/
cp_crashinburn
Same as above
cp_discovery
*Have not played yet*
cp_googugajoob
*Have not played yet*
cp_invade
*Have not played yet*
cp_mt_toast
Capping point uses settime instead of addtime, can get in blu spawn. Final is very hard to defend, with the only viable engy nest being over looked by a blu sniping area. Rocket spam isn't fun.
cp_snowstation
Honestly I've only ever played third. From what I've played, the map is very detailed, but third isn't fun to cap and is just a spamfest. Expect a long review on this one.
ctf_encounter
*Have not played yet*
ctf_miniscus
*Have not played yet*
ctf_orange_reclaim
*Have not played yet*
ctf_redplanet
*Have not played yet*
koth_farm51
*Have not played yet*
koth_fredrik
*Have not played yet*
koth_korea
Small, cramped, broken, flat, can get in spawns... No vote
koth_launch
*Have not played yet*
koth_notrushed
CANNOT VOTE
koth_probed
*Have not played yet*
koth_spoil
*Have not played yet*
koth_something
This map was improved a lot towards the end, sightlines shortened, map now has some width. Not sure on my vote, but so far it could be an option for 3rd.
koth_waytoofuckingfast
Played but I forgot to write notes down and fell asleep :/
koth_yacan1
*Have not played yet*
pl_amairo
*Have not played yet*
pl_goldblum
*Have not played yet*
pl_inari
*Have not played yet*
pl_martialkombat
*Have not played yet*
pl_smash
Snoipin's a gud joob mate
pl_smileyship
CANNOT VOTE
pl_starward
*Have not played yet*
plr_micnax
*Have not played yet*
plr_vanilla
plr_nightfall_pro_̶o̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶_̶x̶3̶_̶a̶1̶_̶b̶2̶_̶r̶c̶1̶_̶f̶i̶n̶a̶l̶_̶c̶h̶r̶i̶s̶t̶m̶a̶s̶t̶_̶s̶k̶i̶a̶l̶_̶f̶r̶e̶e̶h̶a̶t̶s̶_̶m̶i̶n̶e̶c̶r̶a̶f̶t̶_̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶
sd_hd_kaptain_kul
What... BEEP BEEP
sd_wich
Actually this one is nice, but I've only played it once so I'll wait for a further opinion. Very broken though, you can get stuck under map and you can block the saucer.

Last edited:

Waffe

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 2, 2012
Top maps:
- cp_alex76 | IMO the best map in the contest. Spot-on scale (except the mid could be a bit larger[?]). Fast paced and fun. Last might need a tertinary route.
- cp_crashinburn | Some probs, such as the lighting at last, the long timer and Blu last forward lacking visualizer. Fun, looks really cool and plays well!
- koth_launch |I had plenty of fun on this map. Feels a bit safe though, as the layout resembles Viaduct and Lakeside The rocket launch is cool.

Map|Comments

arena_byre| Not played, sorry
arena_doge| Not played, sorry
arena_egan|Very cool concept, but the balance definitely needs work. The map itself is meh
arena_loggery|Flat and open
arena_mhanko|Not flat but open
cp_alex76|Spot-on scale (excpet the mid could be a bit larger[?]). Fast paced and fun. Last needs a tertinary route
cp_crashinburn|Confusing, Dark at last, Long timer, Blu last forward lacks visualizer. Looks really cool and plays well!
cp_discovery| Not played, sorry
cp_googugajoob|Overscaled
cp_invade| Not played, sorry
cp_mt_toast|Instantly got the Berry feel from it. Fun to defend and attack
cp_snowstation| Not played, sorry
ctf_encounter|Better than 2fort!
ctf_miniscus| Not played, sorry
ctf_orange_reclaim| Not played, sorry
ctf_redplanet| Not played, sorry
koth_farm51| Not played, sorry
koth_fredrik|Big for koth. Spawncamping seemed to be the preferred strategy (in the game I played in)
koth_korea| Not played, sorry
koth_launch|Viaduct + Lakeside. I had plenty of fun on this map. The rocket launch is also cool. Looks nice as well
koth_notrushed| Not played, sorry
koth_probed|Funny concept. Über is OP though. Great for only 11h of work
koth_spoil| Not played, sorry
koth_something|Bright and broken
koth_waytoofuckingfast|Very blocky. Layout looks boring, but still plays nice.
koth_yacan1| Not played, sorry
pl_amairo|I really like the two first points. Plenty of space to move around in. Feels a tiny bit overscaled
pl_goldblum| Not played, sorry
pl_inari|Overall good map, need to play it more
pl_smash|I don't have much to say, it's ok across the board
pl_smileyship|Long walk, narrow parts, last is bad
pl_starward|Small/short and needs more pickups. Overall a bit odd
plr_micnax| Not played, sorry
plr_vanilla|Nightfall anyone?
sd_hd_kaptain_kul|Very dark. We had so much fun trying to figure out how the map plays
sd_wich| Not played, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

Ammy

Dec 21, 2013
- arena_egan - A very fun new gamemode. I just wish the map would last longer on the tests :/
- ctf_encounter - A good, balanced and different (in a good way) take on CTF. Fun to defend your briefcase AND try to take it.
- pl_martialkombat - Fun payload map. Seems a little hard to push the cart close to the end due to the slight cliffs that allow minisentries to dominate.

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
VOTES

Koth_yacan1_72_a1: I really like the look of this, it fits the theme of war of the worlds well with the idea that you are on the mothership. I like this is a small koth map, I think it would be good for 6s due to the size. Maybe try an arena version?

ctf_miniscus_72_a4: This map has a loot of really nice geometry, I love the look a feel on the Intel room and also the area out side of spawn is really nice! I love how the Intel changes its position this is a really nice idea. Maybe if you have time, try and make it an RD I think I would work really well!

arena_egan_72: This is the only map which is almost completely unique map, it is the only map to take the war of the worlds theme and take it to heart and making something super interesting and unique. Awesome Idea! It seems to be really balanced even though the blu have to advantages.

Last edited:

xomp

Jun 28, 2008
Those that I've played thus far have been excellent maps.

ctf_miniscus_72_a4 - Fun as shit to play, very natural for a CTF map with lots of routes that aren't confusing.
cp_alex76_72_a4 - Plays very nicely. Everything about it feels as it should for KOTH. Very fun map to play, hope this map goes somewhere.
koth_farm51_a2 - I really like this map, it's very charming and fits the theme of this contest the best IMO. Only downside is the configuration of the spawn rooms cause bots to act stupid so play testing with bots was pretty terrible.
koth_notrushed_72_a2 - Very fun KOTH map with plenty of flanking possibilities but nothing too confusing.
koth_probed_72_b1 - Another KOTH map that felt very natural to play. Lots of different routes and flanking possible without confusing the player.
koth_waytoofuckingfast_72 - waytoofuckingawesome is more like it. Very fun KOTH map to play.
koth_yacan1_72_a1 - Fun and fast paced. Fits the theme very well too. Fun as hell to play!

So many great maps in this contest, great work to all the creative map makers!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
cp_alex76 - cool take on small 5cp, fun fun fun fun. not a fan of last's chokes really but its probably necessary for flow
ctf_redplanet - love the intel area! mid is good too! seems really well thought out. someone blocked the intel w/ dispensers and teles but i dont think its a huge problem. also it might be a bit long/big?

these are the only ones ive played enough to make a proper judgement on that they are Good

----

koth_yacan - seems like it could be fun but the routes to the point arent really good at all. theres a lot of base to base shooting/sniping due to the routes not being anlged at all (look at viaduct) and its hard to get near the point without dying/being seen. it's overall too open. imo, its a bit wide as well.

Last edited:

xomp

Jun 28, 2008
pl_inari_72_a5 - Please see my response HERE.
pl_martialkombat_72_a3 - Review coming soon.
pl_smash_72_a2a - Review coming soon.
pl_smileyship_72_a6 - Review coming soon.
pl_starward_72_final - Review coming soon.
plr_micnax_72_a4 - Review coming soon.
plr_vanilla_72_b5 - Review coming soon.

Auwi

Certified in best in fun
aa
Dec 12, 2012
My personal favorites:

koth_waytoofuckingfast: Its a fun koth map, it feels very well made and just like a koth map. Really fun to play as a demoman.

koth_launch: Also another fun koth map, however this one feels bigger. Even with the huge size it plays nicely as well. Lots of routes and locations makes it feel like a mix of viaduct and lakeside.

ctf_redplanet: A good example of an innovative gamemode. CTF and koth is a fun mix. There seems to be a lot of action, but the routes allow you to get around some of the action if you don't want to. A good and fun map.

Also damnit guys get your votes in and stop playing those valve beta maps

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
MY VOTES

- pl_inari: Fun map, despite some issues on different parts of the map. Fun to play on any class and easily best map in the contest. (In my opinion of course)

- ctf_miniscus: Rising water is pretty cool mechanic and the mid feels a lot like less shit version of 2fort. Pretty fun, although the bases are too cramped and soldier/demo friendly.

- cp_snowstation: Best looking map in the contest in terms of detailing. Can be a ton of fun once you get past the first point, which can either be steamroll for blue, or struggle to get out of spawn.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

- plr_micnax: Really fun map and cool concept, but there is way too little time to push the cart.

- koth_launch: Good map, but 200 fps drop when fighting in middle makes it almost unplayable at times.

- pl_amairo: Has a lot of potential, but as of now, it is steamroll for blue until the last point where it turns into a turtle fest with engineers. Still pretty fun, until it gets to the last point.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
My votes:

ctf_encounter - Felt the closest to the "War of the Worlds" theme of the contest, really neat layout and appearance. I'm a sucker for city maps.
koth_launch - Probably the best overall layout of the contest, it felt very fun to play. Loved the rocket launch too.
cp_snowstation - I love wintry maps, deserves a lot of credit for being the most detailed entry I've seen while still having good gameplay.

Honorable mention:

koth_fredrik - REALLY love the middle area and how it plays, but the area between spawn and mid feels too huge and empty. If this gets tightened up it'll be a really good map. Where's the UFOs though??

NoodleCollie

Stoat fiend
aa
Jul 30, 2009
Favourite three (these were all really fun):

- pl_martialkombat_72_a3 - best playing Payload map of the ones I played. Side routes and overall flow worked well.
- cp_alex76_72_a4 - best playing 5CP map I've possibly ever played on TF2M. Most 5CPs make me want to headbutt a wall repeatedly because of how easily the forward team can roll the defenders, so how you managed to pull off such a well-balanced and -laid-out alpha in three days is beyond me.
- arena_byre_72_a3 - control point layout was odd but the map seemed to work well as arena. Distinctly remember having fun pulling together as a team to try and beat the multiple opposing Heavies.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
My votes:
cp_snowstation
pl_martialkombat
cp_alex76

arena_byre
I like the mechanic that the 2 point presents. I don't like that they're unlocked right from the beginning. It could work on a more point-focused map, but this box-style of map works better for deathmatching, which sort of defeats the purpose of what you tried to do with the points. I'm not sure what was supposed to be clipped, but I really enjoyed playing soldier on this map because of all the freedom the roofs presented, although I didn't enjoy playing other classes as much.

arena_doge
This was fun for a fifth of a round. Then it wasn't. I don't even know if this deserves much, but I honestly found this map frustrating to play on.

arena_egan
Nice idea, balance needs work. Aliens are far too strong with their damage absorbtion. The map could use some improvement, some more open spaces and less ways for the aliens to sneak up behind red's defences might have helped a lot, but other than that I really liked the style (earth headquarters) seems to fit TF2 so well.

arena_loggery
The biggest problem with this map is most of the combat takes place on the vast open, flat plane outside the spawn building, or inside the really cramped buildings that connect on the sides of the map. Shrinking it might help, but breaking the map up into a third level would be great. A level below what's there currently, a ditch near the sawblade room or something just to break up that flat field outside spawn.

arena_mhanko
This map has all the height variations in the wrong places. The only actual height you can get over your enemy is the sniper deck, which is too far away from the meat of the fighting, leaving the map feeling very stale because it plays out over a largely flat box as a result. The height around mid helps a little but is offsett by the lack of cover and it turns into a spamfest across the point. The room to the left of spawn has some height, but it leads no where and gives you no advantage. If there was a balcony out here, or a second floor to the buildings that flanked mid and let you shoot onto the point or drop down, this map would be improved a lot.

cp_alex76
I really liked this map. I felt it had refreshing geometry from what you usually see from 5cp maps. I do think final could have used a little more breathing room for the defenders by bringing the point back a little, but overall I quite liked this map. Can't say much more as I didn't really get to play it with a full server. Also more signs would have helped preliminary learning of the map.

cp_crashinburn
While each point of this map is interesting, and offers new geometry and consequently new play experiences, it has a few issues. A is weird in that the attacking team - unless they're a jumping class, has to double back on themselves, all the while in view of a large height advantage of red on the point. Additionally, I feel this map really suffers from the connections. The shape of the map itself wraps around in a super weird way - all the connections out of A into B bring you out at a place where you basically have to do a 180 to find the point. The B to C connector is really boring, a set of corrodors with little variation between them. While CP maps do want to focus on the points more as that's where the fighting is, the connections are important too.

cp_discovery
This biggest issue with this map is that it lacks the compexity of many multiple routes to attack each point that makes gravelpit such a strong map. A is a reasonably interesting point, I quite like how it's set up, but the other two points and the areas all around them are boring as heck. They're flat and apart from the point lack any interesting things to play around. The entrances are basically all on the same level. The largest problem that stems from these lack of routes to C - red has to go through what is already blue territory to attack it, and they get no advantage when they do so. Also the "line" layout of points you've chosen means that there's no easy way for people to get between A and B, which also leads to phenomenal walktimes. Also you need to build your cubemaps.

cp_googugajoob
This map is just too big. The area between mid and second could make a 5cp map by itself. It leads to long walktimes, which breaks up the action and I had a rather boring time playing on it. Second was never capped in like 30 minutes, and I believe it's just because it takes so long to get there. The points themselves aren't too bad, but final has a nasty choke in that there's only one route leading to the point "area" (I can't class it all as an area due to it's size it doesn't play as one), and mid forces the fighting to happen AROUND the point, not over it. Which means that mid doesn't cap as often, slowing down the game. Scale the map down by like half, and work on focussing the mid point and you have a good place to go from for future work.

cp_mt_toast
I'm not a fan of how narrow this map is before A. It just feels like funnelling. A feels odd to attack because you start higher than it. I didn't get to play too much so I can't really comment more.

cp_snowstation
I love the A building, it's just got such whacky geometry from a aesthetic and gameplay POV that it's great fun. I really like B as well, I feel the geometry around that is really interesting to play and defend. I feel though, in general, the map (especially B) feels cramped. It feels like you're running into something constantly. Pushing out of A around the corner into B is a grindfest for blue and not enjoyable, and I think the main root of this problem is the corner right out of A, it's too sharp, softening that corner a bit and making the area you have wider would reduce the meat grinder. C is fairly spammy, but I'm not so sure on this one because most of the gameplay occurred around A and B.

ctf_encounter
I don't enjoy this map at all, sorry. I feel it repeats the very things that make CTF terrible in TF2's existing maps, and while it tries, it fails to make CTF more interesting than what exists. The primary offender is the intel room. It's like 2forts, it has 2 same-level entrances in that can both be covered by a sentry. Thematically, it's a cool intel room, but it sucks to attack and defend. The cyclic nature of the map forces fights away from being focussed on the mid - which as much as I despise 2fort, I think is actually a bad thing. It never felt like I was meeting the enemy on my own terms, and the probability of an enemy sneaking up behind me was too much to make defending anywhere but the intel room viable. The map is actually remarkably simple, which is the largest problem. More routes, more complex geometry to fight around and more places to defend your territory (which doesn't exist currently) would improve this map.

ctf_miniscus
A cool map that sadly, has a mid that plays a lot like 2fort, though a bit better as it's open and more flexible. Corrodors and doors are too narrow, and the base ends up being a little confusing as a result and has lots of spam in doorways that makes navigating through the base crazy.. I like the CSF mechanic, it made the intel room a pretty interesting place to fight and isn't a cheeze fest, which is always nice.

ctf_orange_reclaim
All I can say is...wow. It's a bit open, but kind of crazy fun? Certainly the most unique intel room I've ever seen.

ctf_redplanet
I didn't get to play this nearly as much as I'd liked. From what I played, the mechanic is cool, but it suffers from a lot of the same problems as CTF anyway, and I can never seem to enjoy CTF. The detailing so far is very nice though.

koth_farm51
This map is really nice in a lot of ways. Unfortuntaely, the way it's set up brings the focus of fighting away from the point, which is the worst thing a koth map can do. I think the main reason for this is that the point - or more correctly, where it is, isn't immediately visible until you're essentially on the point. A lot more signage would help, as well as opening up the map a bit. The map in general was a little cramped, and I think there needs to be a larger distance between point barn and spawn building, as much of the battle takes place in that yard, which isn't fun right out of spawn.

koth_fredrik
Interesting point, but fighting anywhere but there never felt particuarly interesting, the rest of the map is quite flat with little ways to get an advantage on anyone.

koth_korea
Flat, incredibly open, open spawns, leads to boring combat and frustrating play.

koth_launch
I quite like the layout of this, it's decent fun, it reminds me a lot of lakeside. But it's really visually noisy, mid is quite a cluster of colours and it can get quite hard to see players admist it clearly. In general, the visuals of this map are confusing and inconsistent, There are pipes that run nowhere, and weird metal roofing and giant green fungus on rocks

koth_notrushed
The biggest issue with the map is how unclear the height differences are. The point felt very awkward to fight around, particularly because of the weight height. I think the layout should be adjusted to bring more focus to the point and make the routes around it more secondary.

koth_probed
As terms of gimmick, pretty neat. In terms of layout, definitely one of the more interesting, and therefore fun, layouts in the contest. I'm a fan of any koth map that doesn't follow the viaduct formula.

koth_spoil
This map is really large, scale it down. The layout itself is interesting enough but is ruined by the scale. Missing model of the point.

koth_something
This map improved a whole lot since the earlier versions. I still feel the room that you come out of spawn in is just aiding spawn camping, it's not fun to fight in and is too big for a simple travel zone. Closing up the map definitely made it play a bit better, but I think you also nerfed snipers far too hard, they need some place they can actually be useful.

koth_waytoofuckingfast
A reasonably solid koth map witha really weird spawn configuration - I don't really think the enemies should be able to get into the room right outside the main door.

koth_yacan1
A pretty cool map, but I never enjoyed fighting on the point. Always felt vulnerable, and half the enemies come from the same level as you and it just leads to awkward combat encounters in the place the most combat happens.

pl_amairo
I didn't get to play this much, from what I did play it was a quick path to final, which was locked down hard. Which was weird, because I could never keep a sentry up. Definitely some interesting gameplay areas though.

pl_goldblum
Not much to say apart from this map is so incredibly huge, and very flat in some areas, that it's not much fun to play.

pl_martialkombat
I didn't get to play this much either, but from what I did it was quite nice. I really like the big circular part, it's just neat. Not my personal pick because final was quite meh to fight around, but pretty good!

pl_smash
This map always felt really cramped to me, and a lot of places felt really awkward to walk and fight around. I don't like the large loops the track makes, because the fighting never really occurs on them, but rather on the shortcuts of that loop. It made pushing the cart feel really boring at some points, a lot like Thundermountain Stage 3 does.

pl_smileyship
I don't really like this one. It's cramped, awkward to fight in, has unclear height perches, and final is an incredible slog for blue and frustrating for red to even walk past because of the deathpits. And the floor texture hurts eyes!

pl_starward
This one was too flat for my liking. Maybe because I never felt any real fighting happened until final, which was an absolute meat grinder that made me want to disconnect by the end of it. It's not easy for blue to attack, they can get zero advantage over red.

plr_micnax
I really like the idea of the crazy tracks in this, but I don't like the long tunnels they go through. Additionally, it takes quite a while from the start till when fighting actually happens over the carts, which just defeats the purpose of plr to me.

plr_vanilla
I didn't get to play this very much. It was RTV'd very quickly, and I think because everyone was saying it was too much like nightfall.

sd_hd_kaptain_kul
This is very confusing. And bugged, lots of people just messing around in a big box.

sd_wich
This one is interesting, and I kind of like the lift and how fighting over it is so different to other SD maps. But the area for fighting over the australium is really dull.

ZeSpice

L2: Junior Member
Mar 17, 2014
pl_starward_72_final - All about alien invasion! Great.
ctf_redplanet_72_a4 - Good new variation of CTF mode.
sd_wich_72 - Interesting idea with sd.

This is hard to choice from 36 maps. >...<
Especially when many maps with good layouts here.
And I tried to choose maps with interesting and unusual ideas.

Tekku

aa
Aug 31, 2008
My kawaii~ desu desu uguuu~ map votes go to:

cp_snowstation - From all the cp maps that have been submitted for this contest, snowstation has to be one of the more polished ones, which's detailing didn't affect the pace of the map, making the rounds enjoyable and fun to play on. ( バックスクラッチはうんちです )

pl_inari Even though the last capture point area was rather meh, other gameplay areas despite being quite flat were interesting to play on, allowing for some interesting combat in both open and as well closed areas. Definitely my favourite map in this contest* (* after amairo ofcourse)

koth_fredrik Despite some of the gameplay areas being quite bland, overall the map played quite well, offering interesting combat, as well as more importantly fun games. Compared to other koth maps though, it did stand out due to the fact that it was not as easy to spawn camp the camps, which seemed to be an common issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.