TF2Mappers Interviews

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I'll sign up.

The reason I would be for "quality control" (which is kind of a harsh term, if you ask me) is the stated goal of helping out beginners. If you interview someone who is still figuring things out themselves, beginners may walk away with some bad mapping "tips" that could give them problems later on, because they'll assume everyone you interview knows what they're talking about.

In the long run it hopefully wouldn't make too much difference, so it's really up to you, but if you're trying to benefit beginners, it seems silly to interview beginners.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
Aye, I was thinking about that, however I know there there are probably a few people here with very nice maps, which are unfinished. at the moment, I am willing to accept most people, but if I decide against someone it'll be based upon there quality of work, as well as other people's opinions of them. - I think that is a fair way to judge on "Quality control"

Yea. I would have loved to do this but sadly I've still yet to finish any of my maps. Plus, I'd consider myself more of an experimental mapper, trying to do new things with the source engine in regards to TF2 (non-jittering elevators, everlasting trains, dynamic capture points that change the map... etc. )

Good luck with this.

I think what would be cool though is if you did this more like an audio conversation with each person, like have the interview over a private vent channel one on one with each mapper or maybe one on two (like with Nineaxis (if agreed to do this) and Youme in the case of furnace.)

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
the main focus of the questions will be based on how the user maps and trying to draw forth there skills on how they map ect ect.

EDIT: I'll be closing the signups tomorrow at 12pm GMT [BST], And then be reopening them when the list is finished or heavily reduced.

There will probably be about 20 questions give or take; focused on how the mapper mapped, and how they got inspiration for there map so on and so forth.

if you have any queries about this please feel free to PM me or contact me on steam.

I'll be doing a random draw for the order of the interviews, and they'll most likely be done bi-weekly

Last edited:

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Hurry up with the questions :D

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
I agree with shmitz, but you shouldn't decide who is a good mapper based on the amount of maps released

I agree, it should be based rather on how much knowledge and skill is shown in the user's maps.

Shaar

Aug 7, 2008
Aye I am agreeing with Shmitz here. In my eyes, there is no one here who I consider a "Beginner" mapper, hence why everyone who has signed up is on the "in" list so far

Shaar

Aug 7, 2008
Okay, Sign ups closed, I'll probably reopen them at a later date when the current list shrinks down.

people to be interviewed:
Fearlezz
Youme
Jonah
zpqrei
Psy
Da Beatz Project
>Nameless<
Mr Muffin Man
The Political Gamer
Icarus
Dr. Spud
Penguin
Shmitz
Acegimko
joshuaC

I'll be using a random hat draw to select the first person for the interview, soon after I'll be writing the questions and PMing them back. hopefully I'll be able to receive a quick answer so I can post it up on the forums c:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not sure whether it would be any more educational than reading any specific tutorial on what you want to learn, when you need it.

There are very few different mapping techniques and at best each depends on the mod that is being mapped for. So as far as educational purposes it seems very inefficient to teach people anything through this. You might pick up some tips but after the first 2 or 3 interviews.. not so much.

But it would be an interesting read none-the-less, and i support it being done.

I have released maps for HL, DoD, HLDM, Sven co-op and produced maps for TFC, DoDS, HLDMS, TF2 but only ever finished a source map (2) for a zombie mod Hold Out, which later dispersed handing its work over to ZP. Other than when i was on the mod team for HO i went through too many projects to release anything 'final' and i've been pretty damn slow in releasing TF2 maps in the year i've been here, although i have been working on other things at the same time.

I'd be interested in taking part in this survey although as far as a portfolio goes, i never bothered compiling one until recently as this was all a laugh/good time to me and it didn't seem important. Which i'm gutted over. So although i don't have much practical work to show for it in this community, my knowledge spans several mods and experiences, and i spend most of my time helping out individuals on a case by case basis (where i put perhaps too much time and effert in).

Shaar

Aug 7, 2008
I plan to reopen up soon, I just wanna get a few done first so that the list doesn't become ridiculously long and people are waiting ages for it to be done

*Currently writing up the first set of questions :B*

Shaar

Aug 7, 2008
First interview is up; with the user Dr.Spud; the interview can be read [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=96839#post96839"]here[/ame]

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
meh, too late for the party :/
sign me up if a free spot opens :p

Ditto, i was out of town durring signups, however if a spot opens i wouldn't mind. Be it mapping and or tf2maps =p While i havent released anything, ive been mapping a very long time.

Shaar

Aug 7, 2008
Sure thing, I'll be opening up the sign up when the first list is finished, people who have missed the first wave of sign ups will get priority in the second wave <:

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
I love the interview:love: