TF2M Pixel Art Collab

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Tarry posted some sweet pixel art stuff in chat earlier and it got me interested. It's an art form I've always loved and been super fascinated to try out. Pixel art is unique in that it's super easy to get into (everyone has MS Paint, right?) unlike other art mediums which require a lot more effort upfront.

He posted this image which was a collaborative effort between members of a pixel art forum (www.wayofthepixel.net). It's super sweet and looks like it took a huge amount of effort, but it was built up of little tiles made by lots of different members. The lower image shows the starting point, members could pick three tiles to work on then the results were meshed into a single seamless and totally badass image. Sweet right?
isocollab4final.gif

isocollab4.png

So I'm here to gauge interest from you guys, who would be interested in a collaboration project of this style?
If you could fill in this little questionnaire I'd be super happy:
Have you tried pixel art before?
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make?
Would you prefer the art be restricted to TF2-themed submissions or free-reign?
Do you have any other comments, questions or suggestions?

stegarootbeer

L2: Junior Member
Jan 15, 2012
Have you tried pixel art before? Does minecraft count?
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make? I could 5 or 6
Would you prefer the art be restricted to TF2-themed submissions or free-reign? TF2, the free reign has been done, and we are a tf2 community, I think it could be cool.
Do you have any other comments, questions or suggestions? Sounds like a lot of fun. When can we start?

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
No
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make?
Sure, not sure how many..
No opinion
If there's something basic I need to know about pixel art, please post that.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Sure thing, if there's enough interest I'll definitely find some good tutorials for iso pixel stuff along with a colour palette for everyone to use and have that in the thread OP.

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
Have you tried pixel art before? yes
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make? 1-3
Would you prefer the art be restricted to TF2-themed submissions or free-reign? I'd prefer free-reign but it's not a big deal to me
Do you have any other comments, questions or suggestions? we are coming up with a new shape, right? I don't have anything against the shape in your OP but it'd be cooler if we came up with a new shape. Also do you have any plans for what order we'll be going in or how we'll be assigned tiles?

Last edited:

Tarry H Sruman

Large Orphanage Proprietor
aa
Jul 31, 2011
Have you tried pixel art before? Yes, long, long ago. I contributed two tiles to the collab in the original post.
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make? I did it before, I will do it again.
Would you prefer the art be restricted to TF2-themed submissions or free-reign? Free-reign would be preferred.
Do you have any other comments, questions or suggestions? Yes.

If you want better results than MS Paint, download the free version of Gale. It has loads of helpful features for pixel art that MS Paint lacks (color count, 1px grid, layers, very high zoom levels, and a zoomed-out preview window).

TMP

Abuser of Site Rules
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Have you tried pixel art before? YES YES YES YES YES I USED TO DO IT ALL THE TIME
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make? INFINITYYYYYYY actually like 1 or 2
Would you prefer the art be restricted to TF2-themed submissions or free-reign? IDGAF
Do you have any other comments, questions or suggestions? I dither like a mofooooo

Mr. Wimples

Jan 27, 2010
Have you tried pixel art before?: Once before, also I made a Minecraft Skinpack
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make?: Sure, maybe 1-2
Would you prefer the art be restricted to TF2-themed submissions or free-reign?: I think a TF2 one would be awesome, but I don't care either way.
Do you have any other comments, questions or suggestions?: Would there be some sort of color restriction? I see in the OP the colors are 16-bit looking.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yes there would be a restricted and enforced colour palette. One of the reasons the OP image looks so uniform is the uniform palette. Obviously the exact colours would more closely represent the TF2 palette if that's the chosen theme.

Tarry H Sruman

Large Orphanage Proprietor
aa
Jul 31, 2011
Would there be some sort of color restriction? I see in the OP the colors are 16-bit looking.

The original was done with a set palette. A big part of pixel art (usually) is using as few colors as possible, so we will probably have a specific palette provided to us. 8-bit has a 256 color palette, smaller pieces of pixel art usually have <20, I can't remember how many colors were in the collab palette, but I'm fairly certain it was <32.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I'll try it. Sign me up. I have no experience with pixel art.

May 2, 2009
Have you tried pixel art before? With paint and I used to do photoshop edits with pixels but not really any art.
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make? Dunno how many as I don't know how hard it would be. Maybe 2-5 ?
Would you prefer the art be restricted to TF2-themed submissions or free-reign? TF2 of course.
Do you have any other comments, questions or suggestions? ...

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Yes iv done hundred of pixel art drawings
I would love to, Depends what style isometric or something else?
Maybe a video game themed one? but TF2 one may be very fun.
What pixel bit? (8,32,64 bit?)

StickZer0

&#128153;&#128153;&#128131;&#128153;&#128153;
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Have you tried pixel art before? Never
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make? Yes, but only 1 or 2 tiles
Would you prefer the art be restricted to TF2-themed submissions or free-reign? Maybe not free reign, as long as there's some sort of guideline to work to I don't mind what it is though
Noep

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Have you tried pixel art before? Yup!
Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration? How many tiles would you be willing to make? Maybe! I could do 1 or 2.
Would you prefer the art be restricted to TF2-themed submissions or free-reign? I think we should keep it to TF2 themed.
Do you have any other comments, questions or suggestions? I have a suggestion: Maybe we could make the pixel scene a TF2 map, it'd be pretty interesting to see what we could draw and include in it! (Not an actual map, just the theme for the pixel scene)

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
Slightly, sort of, a little.
Yes, probably just one.
Free-reign.
There is blood everywhere and I think someone called the cops oh god what should I do?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

I've dabbled, i also follow several pixel artists on DA and admired several pop-culture pixel pieces that resemble sim city and are infamous on the net, perhaps you've seen them if you're into pixel art too.

Would you be willing to participate in such a collaboration?

Absolutely, it'd be nice to be able to finish after the payload contest though.

How many tiles would you be willing to make?

4 or 5.

Impartial, free reign would be more interesting but i think having a strict theme (such as TF2) would produce a more consistent resolution we could all admire.

I like the idea of a limited pallete, but hope it limits mostly the ugliest colours available, such as the highly saturated colours.

Last edited: