Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
dynamic-cp-composite-scaled.png

TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #12
Dynamic Control Points

RESULTS!
HELLO EVERYONE!
Without further ado, I'd like to announce the winners of our 12th Major Mapping contest! (Roaring applause!) First though, I'd like to personally thank everyone who participated in this contest, either as an entrant, a tester, a feedbacker (group awwww) or that one guy we banned for exploiting (group . Thank you everyone, without you all, we couldn't hold these contests and we wouldn't be the community we are now.

Anyways, here's the results.

IN THIRD PLACE
Alloy
Yrr and Phi
Score: 7.27
cp_alloy-ss3-png.9335

IN SECOND PLACE
Hadal
Jusa and Fubar
Score: 8.27
cp_hadal_b20000.jpg

AND... IN FIRST PLACE.
Sulfur
Freyja
Score: 8.44
2016-01-26_00003-jpg.10953

Congratulations to the winners, you will be contacted in the next couple days to talk prizes. See you at the next big contest! Wooo!

Full list of final points/place seen here:
1. Sulfur 8.44
2. Hadal 8.27
3. Alloy 7.27
4. Abyss 6.23
5. Reactor 6.18
6. Blizzard 5.58
7. Winer 4.61
8. Richochet 3.83
9. Catalyst 3.43
10. Intrusion 3.22

(Thank you to our judges, Tekku and Killohurtz. You can see their detailed feedback here and here, respectively.

Last edited:

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Sulfur your puns aren't up to par with the other ones we've hadal day. Alloy y'all got to step it up. (sorry)

Also third place! Cool! Congrats to the other two winners.

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
Congratulations to all the winners, especially to Yrrzy who has only been apart of this community for less than a year and has made an amazing first impression in winning third place in one of our major contests.

Osspial

L2: Junior Member
Jul 21, 2015
I think, if anything, we need to sulfur through some more puns.

Although, in all seriousness, congratulations to all of the winners.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
Sulfur your puns aren't up to par with the other ones we've hadal day. Alloy y'all got to step it up. (sorry)

Also third place! Cool! Congrats to the other two winners.
Not fair, I set you up for that pun. :engienope:

Aug 30, 2015
I am a bit disappointed I did not get to test Hadal. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get ample time to play all winners if you know what I mean.

Tekku

aa
Aug 31, 2008
First of all, congrats to everyone who participated in this contest, especially to the the Top 3 mappers.

What I would like to say is that I wish that I had more free time, to do a better write up for the judging part. Because as of right now, it's fairly simplistic and doesn't contain reasoning to why I gave maps such scores. Silly work, and Italy things taking a lot of my time.

But anyways, I am willing to give additional feedback/discuss my scores with any of the 10 map makers, if they feel that it will benefit them, just hit me up on steam :)

Last edited:

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
Thanks for the contest, it was a huge learning experience for me! And congrats to Freyja, Yrr and Phi!

xtremspook

L1: Registered
Jun 24, 2015
it was fun testing all of these maps and congrats to the map makers that made it in top 3 :)

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
Thank you everyone who voted!

I'm so happy people liked Alloy enough to get it into the top 3, it was a great learning experience, and was amazingly fun to work on throughout the contest. I can't wait to do more of these!

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
There was some talk today about how Sulfur included bamboo that was originally not made by Freyja. I have talked with both Fubar and Freyja about the situation and have concluded that while the bamboo was not officially released before the asset deadline, it was technically publically available for public usage. In addition, the bamboo in question did contain parts that Freyja herself did create. Finally, it is easy to make mistakes, as we are human, it is even easier when in the heat of crunch time. Freyja believed that she release the bamboo with the Sulfur content pack before the deadline, but apparently forgot to include it.

It is with this evidence that I rule that the standings remain where they are, no additional actions are needed.

Cargo_Tokens

L3: Member
Feb 19, 2015
First of all, congrats to everyone who entered, even if you didn't place! I know that you'll use your feedback to make your maps better and better!

But I am wondering if there's a full result list that had all of the maps entered? (Or if we never have one.)

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
First of all, congrats to everyone who entered, even if you didn't place! I know that you'll use your feedback to make your maps better and better!

But I am wondering if there's a full result list that had all of the maps entered? (Or if we never have one.)

Added list to the OP.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I was supposed to be a judge for this contest, but real life circumstances (i.e. a lot school) prevented me from testing these maps properly. However, I did go through and compile some decently thorough detailing feedback for all of the entries.

You can find a link to all of my feedback here. (Each .pdf is multiple pages, make sure to scroll down!)

You don't have to agree with any of my feedback. While I do specifically point out particular things that I consider errors or less than perfect, I really think that the important thing is that you at least consider my feedback. It's less important that you agree with me than it is that you understand how I could reach the conclusions that I did. You can decide for yourself whether or not you find my conclusions valuable, but it's possible that there are considerations you didn't make that are revealed through my feedback.

We, as a community, tend to focus a lot on the end product. We focus on education and learning so that we can produce better maps. However, mapping itself is an act of learning. It's a feedback loop - learn to map, map to learn. For this reason, you don't need to perfect your maps. You shouldn't be afraid to not like particular aspects of your map, as it means that you're thinking critically. To that end, you should be as open as you can to criticism. Focus on what you can learn from feedback rather than what you can change about your map from feedback. The more you can generalize the issues with your map, the more you can apply those lessons to future work (and also the more open your options become for improving your current project).

I've intentionally not included scores. This is partially because they weren't necessary, but also because I find it difficult to actually rate these maps on a number scale. You should be able to tell how I feel about a map by reading the words I wrote, and a simple number to compare maps to each other would only detract from how these maps excel in their own unique ways.

Looking through all of these maps makes me glad to be a part of this community, and also shows me that people continue to push what maps for TF2 can be, both in layout design and aesthetic design. Congratulations to Sulfur, Hadal, and Alloy on winning, and to everyone else who entered. This was one of the better contests in recent memory, and I hope to see more innovative content like this from TF2Maps in the future.