TF2lobby opens to the public

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by MangyCarface, Jan 19, 2010.

1. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    TF2Lobby.com (tf2lb) aims to make it easier for existing competitive players to arrange pickup games as well as make the format appealing and more accessible to a wider swath of the TF2 player base. Pickup games have traditionally been arranged through inaccessible or otherwise unintuitive methods, and tf2lb attempts to address those issues, giving anyone the ability to organize a game without admin intervention.

Central to tf2lb is its namesake Lobby, where up to 12 players can join, easily specify a match config, and set their teams/classes. tf2lb automatically launches TF2 and connects you to an appropriate server. Whether or not you have access to a server, tf2lb can help. For those without a server, we have a pool of over 40 US and EU servers ready for public use, generously provided by Valve and other communities.

tf2lb has been in development for the past two weeks, and after extensive testing and feedback, we're ready to unroll it to a larger audience. We're providing limited information now to better observe and get feedback on how new users interact with the site. To get started, visit http://tf2lobby.com and click on the "Sign Up" link at the top-right. To learn more about the site, visit http://tf2lobby.com/about .

We're constantly improving the site and welcome any feedback you may have at feedbackATtf2lobbyDOTcom or in this thread. While anything is possible in the future of tf2lb, at the moment we are looking to refine current capabilities rather than to add new ones, so please focus any feedback accordingly.

If you have any self respect, please refrain from mentioning this on SPUF yet.

• Thanks Thanks x 30
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    The lobster comes out of his bucket.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  3. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    lol

4. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    :D Finally we can use this for public map testing!

5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Immediately upon loading the page I see something that makes me facepalm and wonder why it was ever done in the first place, let alone not changed on the first day.

You do not use TF2 fonts for chat or large blocks of text. They are title/accent fonts with low readability, which is even lower at small sizes. There is a reason valve doesn't use them for the paragraphs on blog/update pages.

(Did you never bring this up, Nineaxis?! You are a design guy!)

6. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    Yep, 100% with you there, Booj.

7. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, this site is great, much more easy to handle than IRC pickup channels. The only problem I see is the usage of ingame voice. Really, more than two people speaking at the same time ingame tends to ruin most other sound, and in competitive games, even in PUGs, with communication being the most important part, ingame really doesn't work. There is a pretty nice video where Sweden national team beats up Hungary using ingame voice, but I can't find at this moment. All I say is - I don't recommend it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    awesome, playing now

9. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I mentioned that already, but people told me it wouldnt be necessary. Hopefully, they can be convinienced, and hopefully to mumble :)

Incredible how it filled up now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
  11. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    this is great

I like it i really do

12. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Hello.

13. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think most people know I'm not the biggest fan of "comp", but sweet baby jesus with mayonnaise sauce this is epic.

14. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    No I didn't, or it was in my general "styling things that need to be fixed" list, but I need the latest build from FLOOR to make my edits.

15. KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    What maps are on the servers? Just stock?

16. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Love this, great job with it.
    There's a surprising amount of people in it. You've done a good job.

17. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I do agree here, but as far as i can see that chat is in Arial, is it not?

From my perspective the names are readable but then i have better than average eye sight. Everything else looks fine to me, pertty much conforming to the current TF2 HUD's and UI's.

Good job i say.

18. General_Norris

General_Norris L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, this is really cool! I will tell my clan about this because surely it will be handy from time to time.

I wonder, will this include 8v8 and Highlander because those formats are funner in my opinion.

19. Boonsaw

Boonsaw L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've played 2 PUGs on lobby today, works great. Love it.

20. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Perhaps you don't have the TF2 fonts installed to your system directory like I (and many) have done for using them in photoshop and the like.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98931/pics/chat.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98931/pics/about.png