TF2 World Testing Server

SPHinx

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2009
Hi all!

The TF2 World Server Rotation Project now has a test server up and running ( 217.163.31.166:27015 ). The rotation is still modest (5 maps as of this moment), but if you've ever been curious to see how the project will shape up, I encourage you to add us to your favorites and hop on sometime to help us play and improve the maps.

And for those of you who may have been mulling over the idea of making a map for the project, now you have an even greater incentive. From alpha 1 on, your map will join the permanent rotation.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
The maps on the rotation as of now are Diamond Head, Flat, Boundary Bay, Schwarzwald, Vladivostok

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Will check it out later, shame it's a US server though 120 ping should be moderatly ok sometimes. Are you in need of any egypt themed maps xD

Spammish

L3: Member
Jan 2, 2010
I'd posted on the steam forums that I'd put my map into this, it was based on Nenana, Alaska which was one of the locations, I should be coming up to a2 soon and I wouldn't be happy putting my a1 in the rotation, I'll PM you when it's out, may even be done today.

SPHinx

Aug 29, 2009
Will check it out later, shame it's a US server though 120 ping should be moderatly ok sometimes. Are you in need of any egypt themed maps xD

EDIT: Server is now in Europe. Enjoy your superior ping.

I think a somewhat modified Egypt themed map would work quite well. There are a couple of middle eastern spots (#23 and #29 listed here or here) which could be well suited.

EDIT: I am stupid. You were referring to your already WIP map, Courtyard, huh? We've discussed this a bit on our project forum, and I think the consensus is that all the maps for the TF2 World project must be custom tailored to it. So alphas that can be re-named and re-worked to fit are likely fine, maps already in beta probably not. But it depends, I think. If you or anyone were really keen to contribute a map that was further along, and willing to put in the extra work to have it fit with the overall project, then I think exceptions can be made.

I'd posted on the steam forums that I'd put my map into this, it was based on Nenana, Alaska which was one of the locations, I should be coming up to a2 soon and I wouldn't be happy putting my a1 in the rotation, I'll PM you when it's out, may even be done today.

This is great. I must have missed your post in the Steam forums and failed to contact you about it. My apologies. I can't wait to see what you've got!

Last edited:

Spammish

Jan 2, 2010
May I say Okrag, that your avatar has made me hungrier than anything else I could imagine and is only on par with birthday cake. And for that you get a thanks, for one day, I shall have that waffle!

Martham112

May 6, 2009
I think some of you have the idea wrong.

It's not just something you can plonk your geographically named alphas in. Ideally, the vast majority of the maps should be made specifically for the project. Sure, Vladivostok was Workshop, but it was only a4 at the time. That's why condor is being accepted due to it's new status.

Aussieland however is a11 and already pretty detailed, for this reason, I wouldn't be happy about it being in the project. I'm not saying it's a bad map, it's just too far along.

SPHinx

Aug 29, 2009
I'd love for there to be one of NYC :D

Sadly, a NYC map is not to be. In an effort to maintain consistency with the TF2 world Valve has imagined (and also limit the scope of the project), we are only building maps for locations that correspond to the illuminated spots of Valve's wall_map.mdl (see the image there below). There is some flexibility in where those points might be. Unfortunately, NYC is clearly not among them. :(

map-logo.jpg

Nutomic

Feb 7, 2009
I'd love for there to be one of NYC :D

Also, i doubt a tf2 map in a big city would work. Every existing map is in some kind of industrial, forest, or mining setting, so there is no content you could use.

Just think of somethink different ;)

da10x

L1: Registered
Aug 16, 2008
Yeah I know :(
It was just a sad longing for, don't mind me
*sadly fades into the distance*

Nutomic

Feb 7, 2009
You might better want to map for a realistic game in the direction of counter-strike or half-life (not counter-strike, that sucks :p), there you can sure map new york :D

Spammish

Jan 2, 2010
Well, you could try but you'd either have to have some very nice brushwork or make a hell of alot of models, but nutomic is pretty much bang on it, worth trying if you think you can do it though :D