TF2 Style Photoshop Brush Tutorial

TheBestUsername

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 25, 2013
Hello, everyone! Today I found a real gem of an article on GameBanana showing how to make a Photoshop brush for the TF2 style. It's made it really easy for me to make custom textures and overlays for the game, and I think everyone else could benefit from it, too.

Here's the link: http://tf2.gamebanana.com/tuts/11052

Please note that this tutorial was not created by me but by Squeezit of GameBanana. All praise or criticism goes to him, not me. I'm just the one sharing this great article with you.

P.S. If you don't feel like following the whole tutorial to make your own brushes, you can just copy/paste the entire article into Photoshop and crop the finished brushes from it. Then just click Edit > Define Brush Preset and name it what you will, and voila! Three TF2 brushes are available to you without your needing to do a thing!

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Very nice and in depth tutorial on how to get that done. Obviously you can use this to make any sort of shape/size, but you give the basic walk-through of how to get it to look good!

duppy

L1: Registered
Feb 16, 2012
I think I'd rather use Corel Painter...much better at simulating this kind of stuff. Either that or take photos from real life and manipulate them in Photoshop.

duppy

L1: Registered
Feb 16, 2012
I don't see why not. If you were to take a bunch of photos of something like this, it'd look quite nice overlaid on some base texture.

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
I don't want to start an argument or anything, but simply overlaying a picture of paint strokes over a photo will not look good. The textures need to be hand painted with large, squarish brush strokes at high opacity.

There was a tutorial on here somewhere that showed photo-editing as a strong alternative - it gave decent results. It was of a rock texture. The thing is that if you suck at drawing (me), drawing isn't going to be better. I still try though.