TF2 Maps' Workshop - Uploading the uncompressed version

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by MOCOLONI, Jun 25, 2017.

1. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Important: if this is considered an exploit/violation of a "rule", please let me know and I'll trash the thread (or trash it yourself if you're an admin). I'm not encouraging people to upload uncompressed versions of their maps; this guide is for those who have a reason to upload their maps without TF2 automatically compressing them with bsp_repack. Some of you may know that compressed maps aren't currently supported by Source FilmMaker and probably not even by Garry's Mod, so here's one of the reasons.

How to do it:
    1. Copy/save the full version of your map on your clipboard, then go to "Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\workshop\upload\" and launch your game in windowed mode.
    2. Upload/update your map by browsing and choosing it in "tf\maps\", and start the upload.
    3. The game will first start repacking (compressing) your map before uploading it. I'd suggest you manually compressing it with "bsp_repack" first and noting the amount of time it takes to complete - if it takes like 20 seconds in total, you'll have to count down to 13 and then plug Off your network connection, so the compressed map will be ready and the upload won't start.
    4. Keep refreshing the folder until your compressed map appears in it. Once it does, Paste the map you previously copied, replacing it.
    5. Once replaced, plug On your network connection as soon as possible; the game will show an error message if it takes too much. If so, try updating/uploading again.

A successful upload/update will redirect you to your submission via the Steam overlay. The file size should be similar to that of your uncompressed .BSP file.

Here's the example map I used to find it out: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=955565655

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Those programs both have their own workshops; why not just mirror them? In my experience, Source Filmmaker and Garry's Mod users are too lazy to look up how to copy files over from other workshop folders anyway and are constantly bugging creators about "porting" their content from one to the other. And people who actually download your maps to play them will appreciate not having to download a 100+ MB file.

3. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Indeed. Players and server operators, who make up 99% of the people who download your map, will lose out because of the increased file size. The 1% of people who source their SFM maps from the Workshop can simply decompress the map using BSPZIP or the console. Perhaps it would be better for all if you made a brief tutorial on how to do that?

4. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I already pointed out I'm not suggesting it as a must and only when someone really needs to do it reasonably. "Unpacking" a map is as simple as creating a folder in "tf" and using the bsp_repack command with the -nocompress parameter. E.g:

bsp_repack -nocompress maps/pl_barnblitz.bsp nocompressbsp/pl_barnblitz.bsp