• Total voters

Mr. Wimples

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 27, 2010
TF2 Maps Monthly / Quarterly Map Packs
- Currently undecided on release rate of packs

What is this?
The plan is to gather a number of respectable maps together and release
sizeable packs of maps in easy to chew packages for the public to enjoy.
Hopefully this will get some lesser-known maps into public rotation and also
provide server groups with an easy place to find some fun maps.​

How will we do it?

In this thread you can leave suggestions for maps to be added to
packs. These maps must be either finished or release candidate quality; near
finished or finished maps only! As maps are posted to the thread and reviewed
for quality they will be added to a master list below. Ideally maps will be
bundled together either by theme or gametype, but if a grab bag of maps is
more appealing then that could happen too. Once a pack is released a
download link will go up on this thread(currently not up) and we'll host a pack-based
game weekend on both TF2 Maps servers so anyone can get some action on
the new maps before they decide to download.​

How can I help?
If you want to contribute to the map packs, simply reply in the thread below
with a map you would like to see packaged. Additionally you can vote what maps
to add in an upcoming pack. Discretion will be used when maps are chosen
for packs, votes will help though. Also, chances are featured maps will be
added to the master list automatically if they are release candidates.​

Submitting Maps

Map suggestions will follow a format similar to gameday submissions.
They should include a map name, the author, a thread number, and a
download link. Additionally they must follow these guidelines:​

The map must be playable.
__This means fully functional objective system, proper spawns, not fullbright, etc.
Map must be RC, finished, or RC quality.
__Exceptions for RC-quality betas can be made.
Map may not use a point_servercommand to alter any variables.
Map must be designed for standard play.

__This means no melee, class restricted, too small for 24 players, or otherwise gimmicky maps (with the __exception of Medieval mode)
Non-compliance with rules will result in rejection of the submission.

Master Maplist
Used | Map Name | Filename | Author | Download | Thread Pack #1 |Examplemap|cp_example_rc1|Exampleman273| TF2maps (.bz2) | Thread Unused |Examplemap|pl_example_rc1|Exampleman273| TF2maps (.bz2) | Thread Unused |Backlot|arena_backlot_rc2|Fr0Z3n| TF2maps (.bz2) | Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 23, 2010
exactly 8 months

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Precisely 3.46 lunar cycles.

(I voted quarterly)

It's a good idea but the submission thing isn't, I expect tons of people will submit, then update, then update, then update. repeat: ad nauseum.

That is, unless you make a thread a <week before release, but then you risk missing epic maps by not-every-day-regulars that weren't changed since, therefore I suggest whoever compiles the pack sends a mass PM to all authors who they've found to have updated their map in the last quarter to request permission. In addition to the 1-week thread.

EDIT. wait, nope. RC or finished rules out the constant updates, my bad. (though not everyone uses RC and simply uses beta, eg myself)

Last edited:

Mr. Wimples

Jan 27, 2010
I edited the OP to say that high-quality betas can be accepted. That's kinda what I was trying to avoid though, a map changing drastically after it's released in a pack. If chances are high that the map won't change, ie it hasn't been updated in years, exceptions can be made.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
quarterly i say. You can use the feature section as a "go to model" of what goes in, since that could be anywhere between 6-9 maps.

Doing it bi-annually is probably stretching it to the point where no one will follow its updates. They'll forget about it or just do general updates personally after a little looking, which server operators do do.

Mr. Wimples

Jan 27, 2010
Personally I think a quarterly pack would be the best idea, agreeing with the poll. We still need suggestions for maps. The idea is that ANY TIME you play a satisfactory map that you think should get more recognition, simply mention it here so we can tack it down for future reference when the construction of the packs starts. The Halloween pack will be the first pack released, so we've got a few months to compile a number of maps suitable for release, but it's always a great idea to start early!

Da_Man

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 23, 2009
I voted quarterly. We'd have a better and larger selection of maps, and probably have to worry less about people struggling to get their maps in for the deadline, though that would happen anyways.

AngryAngus

L3: Member
Jul 20, 2011
I only lurk so I doubt my opinion means much but I think quarterly would be great timing, as by then the 'new feel' of the new customs maps wears off and its perfect timing for some more new maps!

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Open thread for next time period at the same time as you release the current period's map pack.
In that thread, allow people to post if they are planning to try to be in the next pack.
One week before releasing the next pack, close that thread and then notify all who posted their interest of the submission thread opening.
Close the thread after 2-3 days, and use the rest of the time to choose and round up the maps.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Open thread for next time period at the same time as you release the current period's map pack.
In that thread, allow people to post if they are planning to try to be in the next pack.
One week before releasing the next pack, close that thread and then notify all who posted their interest of the submission thread opening.
Close the thread after 2-3 days, and use the rest of the time to choose and round up the maps.

This is probably the best way to do this.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
This is probably the best way to do this.

Agreed, but you just need to make sure that you keep track of who might be submitted as they post in the thread, because if people start discussing things, other authors post saying they are going to submit might be lost.

You should also lock it so that someone can't necessarily post a b10 in one pack, then post a b12 in the next... (Or rc21... -stares at snakewater-)