TF2 Kart - what happened to it?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by FernandoWhitmore, Jan 20, 2016.

1. FernandoWhitmore

FernandoWhitmore L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've never played this mod, but I remember seeing it mentioned a lot a few years back and the videos look fun, but I haven't seen any servers running it since I came back to the game.

Was it any good? Stable?

2. HolySnickerPuffs

aa HolySnickerPuffs Bad at TF2, Loves Mapping For TF2

Positive Ratings:
    If the TF2 Kart you're thinking of is the one I know, it's only two years old, from Halloween 2014, when they added bumper carts. It was pretty stable.

3. FernandoWhitmore

Positive Ratings:
    But just didn't gain popularity? I just saw the prefabs for it, was considering having a go at a map

4. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    I think everyone got turned off by it when Valve introduced bumper cars to TF2 and they turned out to be utterly atrocious in every single way.

5. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    Does this guide describe what you're thinking of? It has a list of servers running this map at the bottom but I didn't check if they are still up.

6. Berry

aa Berry if you read this you're a nerd

Positive Ratings:
    It should be noted (as far as I'm aware) TF2 kart maps were linked to the bug where you'd fire twice when clicking the mouse (only client-side though, only one gets sent through, but VERY annoying).

7. FernandoWhitmore

Positive Ratings:
    I missed out on that Halloween update - I think I stopped playing before the Gun Mettle update. I'm sad I missed out on this one, but if it's bugged it's bugged.

8. Nicky

aa Nicky Lets try something new!

Positive Ratings:
    There was a kart map played on a game day a couple weeks back, it was fun, but only for like 5 minutes. To me, it's kinda just a novelty, and not something I would put hours of work into.

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    It turns out a first-person shooter with no way to significantly modify the source code is a poor basis for creating a game in a completely different genre. Imagine!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    The Halloween kart controls like ass

11. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    I was able to get a decent fun kart map working, but it ran into a few issues:

A) To my knowledge, you can't control what direction people will spawn into their carts at. After the first round on the map, everyone will spawn into their karts facing whatever direction they were when the previous round ended. This might be fixable, but it was annoying.
    B) I couldn't find a reliable method to remove the parachute from the jump spell. This might also be fixable? I was able to accomplish it with a point_clientcommand, but those don't work on all servers.
    C) Double-shot bug as mentioned before. Testing a kart map basically means sabotaging an entire map test.
    D) It gets old after a while. It doesn't lose its novelty as fast as medieval mode does (for me!), but I don't think it's a sustainable mode. Interaction between players is fairly limited, especially when you're limited to two teams - the best I could come up with was a time-trial mode where the first team to X laps would win.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. FernandoWhitmore

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I saw someone parachuting out of the map in a video. Well, that's those chips peed on I guess