TF2 Item Whitelist

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Trotim, May 7, 2011.

1. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Imagine all unlocks were actually not in the game. Every class only has his 3 stock weapons. Any tweaks or whatever still apply but none of the unlocks are there.

Considering this, what unlocks would you want to add (back) to the game, and for what reasons?

Remember that this is not a blacklist. It's a whitelist - 0 unlocks are there and every addition must be justified. Not everyone has to write an essay, if good reasons for an unlock have already been mentioned you can just agree (or disagree) with those and then list some more you find important.

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Huntsman, gives the sniper good (albeit lucky) midline power.

And because I love my huntsman :3

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Kritzkrieg
    Gunslinger
    Jarate
    Dead Ringer

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    kritz
    degreaser, flare gun, axetinguisher/powerjack
    bonk
    gunslinger
    gunboats
    equalizer, ubersaw
    Crit-a-Cola
    backburner
    sandvich
    blutsauger, crossbow, amputator
    huntsman
    frontier justice

"I guess"
    ambassador
    dead ringer
    YER + l'etranger
    CnD
    targe + eyelander
    KGB
    direct hit
    force-a-nature
    fan of war
    buff banner
    jarate

the "I guess" ones aren't really necessary, but don't see why they couldn't be added. the wrangler would be okay if nerfed a lot.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Scout : none of them
    Soldier : The buff banner (somewhat hard to use well, promotes teamplay at the expense of personal versatility)
    Pyro : The flare gun (it's a completely different 'vanilla' weapon that fits the class), the axtinguisher
    Demoman : none of them
    Heavy : He could us a secondary weapon that is less redundant than the shotgun and less of a no-brainer than the sandvich, IMO. Currently, none of them.
    Engineer : The gunslinger (it's a different way to play the class, with pros and cons, yet it doesn't introduce any new convoluted mechanics)
    Medic : The kritzkrieg
    Sniper : The sydney sleeper (makes the less skilled players less of a liability), jarate (see buff banner)
    Spy : none of them

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Da_Man

Da_Man L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Scout: Sandman, it fits the characters theme, and does provide a new way to plays.

Soldier: Buff Banner def. Maybe Equalizer, because of its high risk/ high rewards gameplay. Does kinda need to be nerfed though.

Pyro: Flare Gun def.

Demoman: Scottish Resistance: Promotes thinking in placing sticky bombs, as well as better traps.

Heavy: Needs a secondary that isn't sandvich based. Possibly the Brass Beast because of the ability to be a human sentry at the cost of speed and maneuverability.

Engineer: Gunslinger, for being able to plant mini sentries and provide a temporary defense among other things.

Medic: I'd say Vita-Saw, so being killed with a full uber isn't a huge kick in the balls as normal.

Sniper: Jarate, because the SMG sucks ass and allows hunting down spies more easily.

Spy: Cloak And Dagger, because it makes does add tactical elelemtn to the game. Eternal Reward as well, because it does have a legitimate drawback, with a huge gain.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Doctor Paprika

Doctor Paprika L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I use about 90% "vanilla" weapons, as they are the most balanced and useful 90% of the time, but these are the ones I think they game would be severely hurt without:

SCOUT: None. Primary unlocks offer no real different play styles, secondaries and melees just offer mainly gimmicky stat effects (also, the Pistol is underrated by most Scout players, hence all the Bonk! and Crit-a-Cola I see on pubs)

SOLDIER: Direct Hit - excellent situational sidegrade that's difficult to use; Equalizer - rewards aggressive soldier play and rocket jumping skills

PYRO: Degreaser and Backburner - both are now more useful all around than standard Flamethrower (a big problem, in my opinion); Flare Gun - makes the class more versatile for skilled players; Axtinguisher. All around, I think the Pyro has the best official unlocks.

DEMOMAN: Scottish Resistance - the only explosive Demo unlock that promotes difficult but totally different play styles.

HEAVY: None. Natascha is an excellent weapon but extremely situational, and Sandvich's main plus is that the Heavy can heal his Medic

ENGINEER: Gunslinger - the mini-sentry probably does more to discourage turtling and promote forward teleporter placement than anything else in the game

MEDIC: All "Goldrush Update" items - Blutsauger, Kritzkrieg, and Ubersaw remain the most balanced and useful unlocks yet, discouraging the slow "fall back and Uber-build" gameplay everyone hates and they all subtly make the medic simultaneously a better support class and a better direct combatant

SPY: None. Most great unlocks are situational, skill-driven, and make their class more of a team player, but nearly all Spy unlocks make him more of an irritating rogue

SNIPER: Huntsman - mobilizes the Sniper into the fray (rather than hanging back and picking off enemies) while maintaining his core skills of accuracy, leading, and priority target removal.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Doctor Paprika

Positive Ratings:
    EDIT: Sorry about the double post.

9. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Axetinguisher, homewrecker, flare gun, goldrush unlocks, sandvich.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Scout: candy cane
    Soldier: equalizer
    Pyro: Flaregun, Axe
    Demo: Demopan
    Heavy: KGB, sandvich
    Engie: Gunslinger
    Medic: Kritzkrieg, ubersaw, blutsauger
    Sniper: none
    Spy: YER, Amb

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. honeymustard

honeymustard L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Scout: bonk, fish
    Soldier: gunboats, equalizer if they removed damage buff
    Pyro: degreaser, flaregun, axetinguisher, homewrecker
    Demo: targe and eyelander (if they buffed the turn of the targe)
    Heavy: sandvich, KGB, GRU with some nerfs
    Engie: frontier justice, gunslinger
    Medic: kritzkrieg, ubersaw
    Sniper: jarate
    Spy: cloak and dagger

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I like how everyone has picked all the unbalanced/glitchy weapons to come back into the game.

I am in no way up to date with the items or their modified stats enough to recite them off the top of my head, but the unlocks that make sense to me are:

sandvich
    buff banner
    natascha
    Blutsauger
    jarate
    cloak and dagger
    bonk
    ubersaw
    vita saw
    kritzkrieg
    flaregun

maybe the axestinguisher, it brings another dynamic to the pyro. Even though 90% of my pyro kills are by it and the shotgun. I've probably missed other newer stuff...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Doctor Paprika

Positive Ratings:
    I don't mean this sarcastically, but you do know the fish is just a reskin, right?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Thats exactly why it can be added :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. PMAvers

PMAvers L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    All of them.

Because I love my big, weird, hat-loving world of TF2, and there's nothing I'd like to get rid of.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  16. C00Kies

C00Kies L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Scout - none
    Soldier - equalizer and the 2 buffs (a tactical choice which can really help the team out)
    Pyro - Backburner, flair, axe (all good)
    Demo - Scottish resistance (takes more intuition and gives you more freedom) PUN!
    Heavy - GRU (really helps pushes and medics), maybe sandvich (nice little buddy to have)
    Engineer - depends on the situation
    Medic - Goldrush update (Needles of health) (kritz can be devastatingly amazing) (ubersaw... who doesn't want 25% charge)
    Sniper - Jarate
    Spy - Polycount stuff and dead ringer (I agree on the rouge thing though), Cloak and dagger (can provide important intel to your team without the enemy noticing)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I kinda think the backburner should be in, but valve fuck with it so much... i want the backburner classic, with kritz from behind, but no airblast. i never thought that was unerpowered- i think the pyro as a whole is a tad under, and airblast is his best ability.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. ardysqrrl

ardysqrrl L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    kritzkreig
    jarate
    gunboats

that's it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Force-a-nature
    Direct Hit
    Pain Train
    Pre-airblast Backburner
    Flaregun
    Homewrecker
    Dalokohs Bar
    Kritzkrieg
    Vitasaw
    Gunslinger
    Huntsman
    Jarate
    L'Etranger

Fixing actual problems, instead of creating sub-classes

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    Valve adds/buffs a sticky launcher that explodes the whole map and kills everyone.

"no reason for cry , if you think a weapon is over powered , and you want to white list some and avoid other , why not use this weapon yourself too and back troll your enemy?"

So then everyone goes demoman and every round is put a sticky down first and explode it - often resulting in stalemates/both teams dying.

whole point of tf2 is that every class has it's place and none is better than the other. supposed to pick counters to weapons/classes to create a fun, dynamic game of playing every class and using strategy and what not. instead, everyone goes demoman and uses this sticky launcher. :p

• Thanks Thanks x 2