TF2 Goes multicore: How to activate it.

Discussion in 'Featured News' started by YM, Mar 19, 2009.

1. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    March 18, 2009 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Added Multicore Rendering

This initial release is aimed at testing compatibility, so the option is OFF by default

To turn it on, go to the Options->Video->Advanced dialog, and check the "Multicore Rendering" option

Other Changes

Several performance improvements to decals and client bone/flex setup

A variety of alt-tab and mode switch fixes

Improvements to the way the engine initializes surround sound, fixing some specific hardware cases

Fixed a crash on exit in Vista 64

Try out the new options if you've got a multicore processor, this probably wont improve your FPS whilst playing, but it probably will improve your loading times dramatically.
    If you only have a single core... well, this will have no benefit to you.. upgrade already!! :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Did I break the front page for anyone else? since I posted this the whole front page of the forum appears in a tiny area all overlapping.... It could just be that school computers are teh suck though....

3. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Same here, so I reserve the right to laugh hysterically :p

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    im loking in to it. i think 'quotes' will break it LULZ

5. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    yea that was it. jesus youme, you gave me a mini heart attack, i thought someone was deleting files, etc.

6. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've noticed an increase of 20 FPS but no improvement in loading times. Loading times are RAM related.

7. Uriak

Uriak L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    They are mostly Hard drive related. (and I can testify it, since I recently changed only the HD where TF2 was installed, and nothing else)

I was really waiting for such an update, even if I'm afraid of stability issues. TF2 had terrible framerate on several high end hardware setups, like mine, because of its outdated engine. It was so much CPU related that tweaking video options was almost good to nothing, but turning it into an ugly game.

Now, if they could stop turning server admins life into hell with each update, I'll begin respecting them more.

8. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    actually, it really depends. if you're talking about game startup, ram takes it, but changing/loading maps, thats more harddrive related since the access speed determines how fast your map loads.

9. Spike

Positive Ratings:
    Well yes, it's hard drive related too, both are important on loading times, but everybody uses 7200 rpm HDD so that's why the ram makes the difference between them

10. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    i use a velociraptor 10,000rpm harddrive.

11. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    ditto ;)

I didn't notice any fps improvements, but mine are always good. I thought that's what it was for as it says multi-core rendering enabled.

12. Spike

Positive Ratings:
    well, you're the exception xD

13. AWESOME-O

AWESOME-O L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Damn you! :shakefist!:

14. Uriak

Positive Ratings:
    So, what about stability ?
    Mat_queue 2 gave me a boost of about 20fps too, but crashed the game in less than 5 minutes, so I'm quite suspicious, here.

15. clownfish

clownfish L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Uriak I use to use MQM2 as well and ever since this update my performance has been way better then mqm2 I also havent crashed once and I can actually alt tab now with out crashing :]

16. Uriak

Positive Ratings:
    Several people report on our forums that they crashed about 1h after, but for some others it was worse. Well, I'll judge by myself in an hour :)

17. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't work well with FPS configs :(

18. Spike

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't crashed and TF2 has been open for hours

19. Jazz

Jazz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    It has taken me a lot longer to exit from a server ever since I turned this option on... I don't see why it would affect the disconnect times or anything though.

20. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I did have one crash last night. Unfortunately I read about this, turned it on and join a fav server.

I told other people and everyone scrambled to turn it on. Within a few maps my arena map came up. I crashed out first round, and never had crashes or reports of them in my map.
    Another guy crashed out and confirmed he was trying it also.
    Another guy then decided to try it and said he got 'white bars'. Not sure what he meant.
    Another guy crashed about 5+ times. But said it might've been his computer, but he was NOT trying the multicore thing.

We played a few maps before and I never experienced any crashes or heard anyone else talk about crashes.

My arena map has a large pool of water.??? That's something unusual for most maps so maybe there's a water issue.