TF2 Crashes a Few Seconds After I Run a Compile

Mâché

Big Ferret
aa
Sep 7, 2015
Very new to mapping and the mapping community. I was trying to test an extremely simple map, but when TF2 loaded up, it crashed soon after. I check the compile log and the error in the log was apparently that the map doesn't have a valid skybox, which doesn't make any sense because I was able to run another test map without a proper skybox before. Then I go to click "Check for problems." The only problem it found was that "There is no player start." This also confused me because I had about 14 spawn positions (per team) already placed.
Restarting Hammer also didn't work.

Also, during the short time frame that the gay WAS running, a few weird things were going on with the main screen. Specifically, the icons for each button, the Team Fortress 2 splash title, and Mrs. Pauling were all missing or replaced with wire frame boxes with diagonal lines through them.

What does all this mean? Are any of the errors I mentioned the problem, or am I missing something? Probably made a nooby mistake of some sort, but I'm not sure. Please help!

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Validate your game files, TF2 ran an update while you had hammer open. If you don't know how right click on TF2 in your games library and go to properties. From there find the local files tab and hit "Verify local integrity of game files..".

Give it a minute and it should fix it.

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
ironically this just happened to me... waiting so I can do a trial test