TF2 Cameras?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Y

YellowRatBastard

I am making a map and want to make a camera for people in the spawn area to see using a monitor. Can someone make a tutorial on how to do this

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Its basically just an info_observer_point entity (it looks like a camera so its real easy pointing it at the view you want)
You just need to set the 'Team' key value to blue or red. and the 'Welcome point' key value to yes or no depending on wich you want
There should generally be one or more Team specific cameras and at least one welcome point camera. The wecome point camera basically acts as the camera everyone sees when they join the server (A neutral area that gives a good feel of the middle of the map)

fartron

L1: Registered
Jan 27, 2008
I think he means like a texture that will show a view of elsewhere on the map.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
ah, well in that case. finish making your map. take a screenshot and then turn it into a texture and hey presto.
Unfortunatly it would seem that proper monitors dont work in TF2 and portal (Somebody please prove me wrong!)

fartron

L1: Registered
Jan 27, 2008
Well, the portal gun itself in Portal is using something pretty similar. And I thought it was a standard feature of the source engine shaders; it'd be odd if they removed the ability for TF2.

trackhed

L3: Member
Jan 24, 2008
well... it says in the sdk docs that you only need point_camera and info_camera_link to make said cameras work (cant see yourself apparently, no problems there)

the thing you need is a screen material

"An entity that can use point_cameras to render images for materials used by entities. To author the material, use the special identifier _rt_Camera for the $baseTexture (or whatever texture you want, like envmap, etc.) in the .vmt then connect the 'target' field to the entity which uses that material, and the 'PointCamera' field to the point_camera you want to have appear on that entity's material."
- info_camera_link

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2007
well... it says in the sdk docs that you only need point_camera and info_camera_link to make said cameras work

When I start Hammer with the TF2 configuration, there is no point_camera entity on the list. It does show up when I load Hammer with the HalfLife 2 configuration.

I think it was removed from TF2, since it would add a lot of overhead.