Texturing woes

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

3DRyan

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2008
Okay, i'm really sorry, because I know this has been covered a million times, but I can't seem to get it to work even after looking at all the forums. I just need to use one custom texture for my map which is sooo close to being done. I have my vmt and vtf files in the following directory: tf/materialsrc/custom. (I had to make a materialsrc folder as it did not exist before, does this matter?) I used the vtf plugin for photoshop to make the vtf, and my vmt looks like this:

"LightmappedGeneric"
{
"$basetexture" "custom/intro_ctf_platform"
"$decal" 1
"$decalscale" 0.25
"$translucent" 1
"%keywords" "tf"
}

I'm not applying it to a certain model, I just want to be able to apply it to a brush surface and have it show up on the browsing list in hammer. Can anyone help on this? Thanks in advance.

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
You need to put your materials in materials, not materialsrc. Materialsrc folders are intended for the TGA files that you then convert into vtfs.

3DRyan

Aug 29, 2008
thanks for the reply! I will try this out.

3DRyan

Aug 29, 2008
Tried it, still no luck. Just to make sure:

The files go into:
c://programfiles/valve/steam/steamapps/username/team fortress 2/tf/materials/userfolder

the file path in the VMT next to "$basetexture" is:
userfolder/filename

Is this all right?It's not working. :(

3DRyan

Aug 29, 2008
YES!!! I FIGURED IT OUT!

Sorry, it's just that i've been working on this for a while, and now it finally works. I put the vmt and vtf files in both the materialsrc and materials folders just to be safe, and it works. Thanks for the help, Altaco. I greatly appreciate it! Now let's see if I can get them to work on models....